Take a look at what's happening at the March WLD Executive Meeting. Thank you to our Secretary, Lucy Dollens, Quarles & Brady LLP, for this month's minutes!
IndyBar Women & Law Division
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
October 5, 2017
In Attendance: Sara McClammer, Laura Sahm (proxy for Lizzie Schuermann) Allyson Emley, Lauren Sorrell, Anna Kirkman, Therese Hannah, Kellie Barr (P), Patricia Erdmann (P), Victoria Calhoon (P), and Andrea Ciobanu (P)
- Old Business
- Minutes: Lauren moved to approve, Allyson second; minutes unanimously approved.
- New business
- Meeting time: Please email Elizabeth Timme if you anticipate having a standing meeting/conflict next year, as we are considering moving the date/time of the Executive Committee meetings
- Survive & Thrive Scholarship ($175/$225): Discussed opportunity to provide scholarship for a solo/small firm attorney to attend CLE
- Committee is supportive but wants to restrict recipients to a WLD member
- Anna moved to approve up to $225 to pay cost of CLE for a WLD member; Lauren second; Committee unanimously approved up to $225 to pay for CLE scholarship for a WLD-member solo/small firm practitioner
- Committee Reports
- Mentorship (Jackie): No updates noted
- CLE (Andrea):
- 4 mandatory CLEs have been completed.
- Surrogacy CLE:
- Lower attendance, but this was expected given timing and date.
- Recorded version will allow review if attorneys encounter the issue later in their practice.
- Thanks to Patricia for participating and speaking about her experiences with HEAL.
- Asbestos CLE in conjunction with Litigation Section
- Therese is planning to do a CLE to review amended rules, e-filing, and ethics for mass tort docket.
- Litigation Section is considering whether to co-sponsor.
- Potential date: Morning of Friday, December 8.
- Outreach (Patricia)
- WLD blog page has significantly increased traffic (September: 217 hits).
- Membership up in September (347) up from March/April (328).
- Reminders to those signed up to submit website posts in their assigned months (submit posts to Kim and Patricia).
e) Networking/Social (Jackie/Emily; update from Allyson)
- Martha Hoover roundtable location set at Three Wise Men Brewery on evening of November 9 (5:30-7:30).
f) Philanthropy (Therese)
- Dream Dinners update
- 9 volunteers
- All meals went to The Julian Center; residents look forward to receiving the meals.
- Little Red Door asked to be considered as a recipient next year.
- Committee discussed revisiting asking volunteers to donate to costs of meals prepared (need to confirm requirements of IBF).
- Coburn Place holiday party
- Elizabeth will follow up with potential balloon artist.
- Sara will bring box of supplies for holiday party.
g) Summer Reception (Victoria):
- Reminder to consider submitting requests for firm sponsorships before end of year if needed.
h) ADL/Strategic planning (Lucy; update from Kellie)
- ADL updates
- November 29 at the Skyline Club
- Submit any ideas for format of presentation
- Continue to seek sponsorships
- Beyond the Book club
- Encourage attendance at October 18 event
- Save the date
- October 18 – WLD Book Club Series
- November 9 – WLD Roundtable with Martha Hoover - Three Wise Men 5:30pm
- November 29 – Antoinette Dakin Leach Awards Luncheon - Skyline Club 11:30am
- December 8 – CLE in coordination with litigation section
- December 9 – Coburn Place Holiday Party
- Next Meeting - November 2, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 12:44 PM
If you would like to write or submit content for the Women & the Law Division page, please contact Kim Ferguson at email@example.com.