Indianapolis Bar Association Women in the Law Division
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
March 2, 2017 (Noon)
In attendance: Kellie Barr, Victoria Calhoon, Lucy Dollens, Patricia Erdmann, Melissa Hamer-Bailey, Kayla Moody-Grant, Ellen Pactor, Lizzie Schuerman, Lauren Sorrell, Elizabeth Timme, and by phone: Andrea Ciobanu, Allyson Emley, Emily Williams. From the IndyBar: Lesley Hayes, Kim Ferguson
Not in attendance: Therese Hannah, Anna Kirkman, Sara McClammer, and Jackie Gessner
- Welcome and Introductions
- Old Business
- January 2017 minutes: Victoria moved to approve with one correction, Kellie seconded the motion; minutes unanimously approved with correction.
- New Business
- IU McKinney Women’s Caucus Auction: We will be scheduling a date for WLD members to take the winning bidders/students to brunch.
- Committee Reports
- Mentorship (Victoria):
- The mentoring luncheon was successful. It was held Feb 28th at IBA offices. Roughly 71 registered/attended.
- Mentorship groups are now up and running.
- Motion to cover Kristin McClellen’s membership and cost to attend the luncheon, as the Mentorship Award winner. Motion made by Victoria. Seconded and approved.
- More discussion held on the program and luncheon, including ideas for improvements.
- CLE (Andrea):
- Discussion held regarding potentially pairing with the IndyBar Networking Committee re: a philanthropic/social event, HEAL, Dream Dinners, etc. Andrea will follow up with the Networking Committee.
- Discussion of potential CLEs for 2017:
1. CLE with HEAL re: attorney surrogacy
3. CLE with the Family Section about Tax/Family/Estate Planning issues.
4. Two Roundtables
- Membership Outreach (Patricia):
i. We have increased our traffic to the WLD page, membership in the WLD, and subscribers.
ii. It is Women’s History month, so this would be a good topic for our WLD page.
iii. Be sure to share event recaps from WLD events on our WLD page. Send to Patricia and cc: Kim.
- Networking/Social (Allyson)
i. Martha Hoover would like to participate in our proposed upcoming networking/social event possibly April 27, from5-7pm,. Committee is working to confirm the date.
ii. Congresswoman Susan Brooks would be happy to participate, but is not available until August. The Committee will work to identify dates in August for the event.
- Philanthropy (Lucy)
- Girls, Inc. Lunch Bunch volunteer opportunity: April 28 at Nora Elementary School from 12:55pm – 1:55pm. We still need volunteers. Committee will send out another blast to the WLD members.
- For the June 1, 2017 WLD Summer Reception, we will be collecting toiletries to benefit Beacon of Hope.
- Volunteers will conduct mock interviews/resume review at Dress for Success on June 7 and September 13 from 10:00 am – noon. We will be seeking volunteers from the WLD membership for the June date at the end of April.
- Dream Dinners to be held in September this year.
- Coburn Place Christmas Party to be held Dec. 9 from 10:00am – noon.
- Summer Reception (Victoria):
i. This year’s WLD Summer Reception will be held Thurs., June 1 at Propylaeum.
ii. Discussed potential speakers to invite.
- ADL (Lucy)
i. WLD mission statement re-visited to ensure strategy of section.
ii. Discussion held re: Kellie’s proposal for a WLD book club focused on personal/professional development, empowering women, etc. type issues. Suggested it take place after work (not during the day). Kellie to seek dates and select a book.
- Other – Happy Birthday to Patricia!
- Next Meeting – April 6 at noon at IndyBar offices.
- Save the dates
- Girls, Inc. Lunch Bunch (Nora Elem. School, 12:55–1:55pm) - April 28
- WLD Summer Reception - June 1
- Dress for Success mock interviewing/resume review - June 7, 10:00am – noon.
- WLD section running legal lines – August 8
- Dress for Success mock interviewing/resume review - September 13, 10:00am – noon.
- Coburn Place Christmas Party - Dec. 9, 10:00am – noon.
- Meeting adjourned at 1:04 PM