Women and Law Division Executive Committee Meeting
January 8, 2014 Meeting Minutes
The January 8, 2014 meeting was held at Bucca di Beppo. In attendance: Anna Kirkman, Elizabeth Timme, Tina Clark, Sara McClammer, Meg Christensen, Abby Rom, Liz Polleys, Lori Spence, Jackie Gessner, Roxana Bell
I. Welcome and Introduction: all in attendance introduced themselves. A roster of all executive committee members will be circulated.
a. New executive committee members are Sara McClammer, Abby Rom, Lori Spence, Jackie Gessner, Roxana Bell. Lori Spence has been a member of the WLD since 1989 and previously served on the executive committee; Jackie Gessner is the law school representative.
b. Tina Clark provided some historical background for new committee members and gave an overview of the various subcommittees and annual events.
· The CLE subcommittee comes up with CLE ideas and works with IBA staff to coordinate CLE sessions. This is a major fundraising arm of the WLD.
· The Mentorship Program pairs more experienced mentors with mentees, and the program will be renewed this year.
· We routinely receive requests from the IU Indy and IU Bloomington law schools to provide a “brunch package” for the respective Women’s Law Caucus auction.
· The Summer Reception is typically held in June at the Indiana Historical Society.
· The WLD staffs the IBA Legal Lines every July.
· The Family Event has been a picnic or Symphony on the Prairie in July/August.
· In August, the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award selection process takes place. The ADL aware recognizes a female attorney in the community. The ADL Award Lunch (October) has sometimes been paired with Symposium.
· The Philanthropy Subcommittee focuses on Dream Dinners in the Fall/Winter and a "holiday party" at Coburn Place for women and children.
· In late fall, the committee selects its leadership for the upcoming year (succession plan is that Secretary becomes Chair Elect, and Chair Elect is next for WLD Chair).
· At the last meeting of the year (December) the executive committee does a book exchange.
c. Of note, Personal Invitations have been particularly effective for attendance at events. We will continue to incorporate that into events in 2014. To find a full WLD membership list, go to the IBA website on the WLD page. Your login in required.
d. Attendance Requirements: Executive Committee members must attend 8/10 meetings each year (we take a break in July, and the December book exchange does not count). You can attend in person, by sending a proxy on your behalf, or by phone. This is pursuant to WLD Bylaws, which T. Clark will circulate. Due to inclement weather, absences at the January 8, 2013 meeting will not count toward the absence allotment.
II. Old Business
a. Approval of November Meeting minutes. M. Christensen made a motion to approve, E. Polleys seconded. November 2013 Minutes were approved 9-0.
III. New Business
A. Please send T. Clark a paragraph about yourself; all bios will be circulated.
B. Update: Ann Cowgur has expressed her intent to step down from the WLD Executive Committee. In 2014, WLD will maintain a small executive committee to keep us focused on events and meeting our participation requirements.
C. T. Clark discussed the “Recipe Book,” which is designed to help with WLD event planning so we don’t have to reinvent the wheel each year. This is in-progress and will be circulated as it becomes available.
D. T. Clark has recommended subcommittee appointments and circulated the list. It is open to discussion if a member wants to be on a different committee.
E. The WLD has been asked to donate a package to the IU Indy Law School Women’s Caucus. J. Gessner spoke briefly about it. The Brunch Package includes Brunch with a few WLD executive committee members. The Auction will be March 6th, and brunch will be in the Spring of 2014. M. Christensen made a motion to approve paying for brunch for 4 law students, E. Polleys seconded. Brunch budget for 4 law students was approved 9-0.
F. Mark your calendar for Legal Lines, which will be held July 8, 2014. We need 8-10 people from the WLD to staff it appropriately.
IV. Save the Date
a. The next WLD meeting will be held on February 12 at lunch at Ice Miller on the 33rd Floor. Come to the 29th Floor first to gain access to 33rd floor.
b. Other IBA upcoming events in January and February: 1/23 Breakfast with Bar, 1/30 IBA Installation Luncheon, 2/21 Breakfast with the Bar Featuring the Health Law Section.