If you would like to submit content or write an article for the Women & the Law Division please contact Kim Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Patricia Erdmann, Office of the Attorney General at email@example.com
Indianapolis Bar Association Women in the Law Division
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
January 5, 2017 (Noon)
In attendance: Kellie Barr, Victoria Calhoon, Lucy Dollens, Allyson Emley, Patricia Erdmann, Jackie Gessner, Melissa Hamer-Bailey, Therese Hannah, Anna Kirkman, Sara McClammer, Kayla Moody-Grant, Ellen Pactor, Lizzie Sherman, Lauren Sorrell, Elizabeth Timme and by phone: Andrea Ciobanu. From the IndyBar: Lesley Hayes, Kim Ferguson
- Welcome and Introductions
- Old Business
- November 2016 minutes: Victoria moved to approve, Jackie second; minutes unanimously approved
- New Business
- Report from Kim Ferguson, Marketing and Communications Coordinator
- The IndyBar will provide a new, stand-alone look for our WLD Quarterly Newsletter (first one to issue in March)
- WLD Secretary to send the minutes from each executive committee meeting to Kim each month, which will be posted on our WLD website for access by members.
- Patricia Erdmann suggested we track WLD section membership numbers each month to determine if specific programs increase membership/interest in the section.
- Discussion held re: non-executive committee member serving on Subcommittee. Executive committee open to the involvement.
- Committee Reports
- Mentorship (Jackie):
- The mentoring luncheon will be Feb 28th at IndyBar offices. Elizabeth looking into potential sponsorship.
- Discussion of awarding Mentorship Award to Kristin McClellen. She will be awarded at the luncheon and has agreed to speak at the luncheon (15 minutes).
- We will do a survey of current participants of the mentorship program to obtain feedback on improvements to make to the program.
- CLE (Andrea):
- Five CLE ideas provided for 2017:
- CLE with HEAL, a committee that helps attorneys with illness, health issues, attorney surrogacy, etc. Consider doing a CLE on ethics (e.g. surrogacy requirements, impairments, JLAP assistance).
2. Female Judges Roundtable with Judge Welch re updates on the Commercial Courts Pilot Project and also with Justice Rush on e-filing statewide and with the appellate courts and the top one or two Indiana Supreme Court cases that all attorneys should be aware of (potentially collaborate with the litigation, appellate and/or business sections).
3. Female Judges Roundtable with Chief Justice Magnus-Stinson to discuss new rules of federal procedure and top one or two cases in federal court to be aware of, coupled with a presentation by Judge Moberly on any hot topics/updates in bankruptcy law (potentially collaborate with litigation and/or bankruptcy sections).
4. Hot Topics in Estate Planning, Taxes, Family Law – do more in-depth breakout sessions with a networking session afterward (potentially collaborative with the estate planning, tax, networking, and/or family law sections).
- IndyBar is asking that sections not repeat the same CLEs within past 3 years. The exception would be the judicial roundtables.
- Membership Outreach (Patricia):
- Goal- to have new and fresh content on our section's website and alert members to upcoming events
- Our first quarterly newsletter goes out in March
- Goal - to be proactive in thinking about what to include in the quarterly newsletters as to upcoming events/spotlights/articles.
- Networking/Social (Jackie)
- The subcommittee is meeting this month.
- Philanthropy (Therese)
- Would like to partner with the subcommittee on the summer reception
- Intending to continue existing programs with Girls, Inc., Dress for Success, Dream Dinners and Coburn Place.
- Need sponsors for Dream Dinners. Therese and Sara to reach out to the chair of IBF re: plan for Dream Dinners.
- Summer Reception (Victoria):
- Discussion held re: initial planning for this summer's reception
- ADL (Lucy)
- Discussion held re: initial planning for this year's ADL
- The subcommittee is planning to meet this month re: strategic WLD planning
- Save the dates
- WLD Membership Kickoff Luncheon – February 28
- WLD section running legal lines – August 8
- Meeting adjourned at 1:05 PM