Interest Groups

IRS Letter: How to Obtain Tax Refunds for Same-Sex Spousal Health Coverage - Taxation News

Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.

Tax News

Posted on: Jul 21, 2014

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued an outline for obtaining tax refunds for same-sex spousal health coverage. They recognized that a same-sex spouse will be treated as a spouse for federal tax purposes as long as the couple is lawfully married under state law. This means that the value of employer-provided health coverage for an employee's same-sex spouse is excludable from the employee's income for federal tax purposes.

The IRS outlined the following steps for taxpayers:

  1. Taxpayer to contact employer and request a corrected Form W-2. Use the W-2 to complete tax return.
  2. If no corrected W-2 is issued, taxpayer should file tax return using original Form W-2 and file a Form 2852 reporting correct amount of taxable wages - subtracting the value of excludable spousal health coverage.
  3. Describe how the taxpayer determined correct amounts on Form 4852 by updating them to exclude the value of spousal health coverage, as permitted by Rev. Rul. 2013-17 an Notice 2014-1.

For more detailed instructions and more information about the issue, check out this article.


Indianapolis Bar Association (IndyBar) est. 1878 | 4,536 Members (as of 2.11.21)