Take a look at what's happening at the January Sports & Entertainment Law Section Executive meeting. Thank you to our Chair, Jason Bonikowske, CSM Sport & Entertainment, for this month's minutes!
Indianapolis Bar Association's Sports & Entertainment Law Section Committee Meeting Notes
January 26, 2017
- The Committee reviewed our 2017 budget and discussed usages of our fees.
- The Committee reviewed our 2017 Executive Committee members and welcomed Jennifer Smith to the Executive Committee.
- The Committee discussed the 2016 CLE's we held and discussed options for 2017 CLEs.
- Discussed 2017 TRAC being on the the multi-hour CLEs.
- Discussed having several 1-2 hour CLEs Possible CLEs include:
- Tax, Labor and Estate Planning CLE to discuss the contract signings and a player's/ celebrity's taxation issues.
- Entertainment: Bring in Jim Walker (writer)? Dan Wakefield (Author of "Going all the Way" book turned into a movie)? Talk about the process of how a book gets published and turned into a movie.
- Invite lay people looking to get into playwrights. Have a national speaker and then social afterward.
- The Committee decided to ask the IndyBar BOD if we could host two different 2-hour CLEs versus four 1 hour CLEs. Cate and Jason to put together a proposal document and submit to the BOD for their next meeting on Feb. 8, 2017.
- CLEs proposed:
- A film licensing and royalties CLE featuring Angelo Pizzo ( writer and producer of Hoosiers and Rudy), a film distribution company executive, and an entertainment lawyer as panel presenters. The CLE would be scheduled during the Heartland Film Festival (Oct. 12-22) and would be open not only to attorneys, but also to filmmakers. The Executive Director of the Heartland Film Festival is on-board and the Indianapolis Film Commissioner has agreed to ask Mr. Pizzo to participate. The CLE would take place in the late afternoon at one of the Festival's screening sites, and program registration would include a ticket to a film screening immediately following the program.
- Sexual Abuse in Sports, featuring Katherine Starr, founder of Athletes First Consulting and Safe4Athletes, one of the Indy Star reporters involved in the USA Gymnastics investigation. (Tim Evans, Mark Alesia or Marisa Kwiatowski) and a criminal prosecutor as panel presenters.
- Other CLE ideas:
- A non-profit/foundations panel involving the people that run them, celebrities themselves and possibly a tax lawyer.
- An agent panel, with agents such as Andrew "Buddy" Baker or Mark Roesler.
- The Committee discussed the SLA annual conference proposal to bring the conference to Indy and if that is something we wanted to try and do again.
- ACTION: Cate would reach out to Norm and Naima to see if this was even a possibility, and get their feedback.
- The Committee discussed the Sports Innovation Institute and Wes gave an update on where things stand. He will let the Committee know if there is any way we can be involved.
- The Committee discussed the McKinney Law School's Speaker Program and Patty said they are looking for speakers for their March 21 program on concussion in sports.
- ACTION: The IndyBar to put Patty in touch with a medical contact they know who may be interested in speaking for the event.
- The Committee discussed social ideas for the year.
- We are doing a joint social with the IP section at an Indy Fuel game on March 11, 2017
- We will once again do the Indians game with the law students
- ACTION: IndyBar to look at tickets for the Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017 Indiana home game. Tickets in Cove again.