By Jodie L. Bergeron, Cohen & Malad LLP
There are people all around us who are not able to enjoy holiday shopping, hot cocoa, Christmas lights, visits with Santa, parties, gift exchanges and all of the hustle and bustle that surrounds the holidays. I am one of those people who are so excited about the holidays that I seriously begin thinking about putting my Christmas tree up before the Halloween candy is even fully sorted! Knowing not everyone is like me, I decided to make a short list of some things I can do to help spread a little hope, cheer and happiness for those who may be less fortunate than me. Some of these are simple and do not require money. Others require a little more time, thought and commitment. Join me in checking off some of the items that you have done/can do this holiday season.
- Thank a volunteer
- Pick a child/family from an Angel Tree
- Mind your manners
- Contribute to a toy drive
- Buy or bake a special treat for someone
- Be a friend to someone in need
- Donate anonymously
- Sing a song to someone
- Foster a pet
- Donate clothes/winter coats to charity organization
- Send a care package to a soldier
- Babysit for free to help a single parent
- Help serve at a soup kitchen
- Organize a toy/stuffed animal drive
- Donate items to a shelter for abused women
- Start a new family holiday tradition
- Cook a meal for a less fortunate neighbor
- Compliment a stranger and wish them happy holidays
- Visit the elderly in a senior home
- Donate blood
These are just a few ideas and suggestions. If you have not already done so, I challenge you to put yourself out there and try something on this list. I can assure you that you will not regret a single one. Remember, hope and happiness comes from within and we all have the ability to create it.
Now, I would like to share a little bit of heartfelt warmth and cheer with you: my sincerest holiday wishes to you and your family and may you have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!
If you would like to submit content or write an article for the Paralegal Committee, please email Kara Sikorski at firstname.lastname@example.org.