By Rayann Knepley, Kids' Voice of Indiana
As some of you may have already noticed, the Marion County Court system is making some major changes. Courts that were once designated as “criminal” are now being integrated over to the new family law court system. Below is a breakdown of changes that have been made and what future changes we can expect!
- Beginning 1/1/21, any JP/Divorce/PO that is bundled with a CHINS will remain assigned to that juvenile court (i.e., not returned to CCB court).
- (a) new DN/DC/JP filings will start on March 1, 2021 in D09 and D115
(b) JC filings begin in three transition courts (D10, D14, D16) on March 1, 2021
- TPRs filings begin in transition courts on June 1, 2021
- Adoptions and Minor Guardianship filings begin in all five courts on 8/1/2021
- All other Juvenile case types, except delinquencies, (i.e., JQ, JS, JM) begin in transition courts on 8/1/2021
- (a). JDs are filed in three transition courts beginning 9/1/21
(b). POs are filed across all five courts beginning 9/1/21
All five courts are integrated prior to the move to the Community Justice Center.
Percentage of cases to each court TBD based on WCL
Integration timeline subject to change by determination of Family Division Judges or the Marion Superior Court Executive Committee