By Amy Grewal Dunn, IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law
On Friday, October 16, 2015, law students had the opportunity to meet with local attorneys over coffee and breakfast at the Indianapolis Bar Association. This month's Breakfast with the Bar theme focused on business and transactional law, and attorney roles ranged from real estate to non-profit to mergers and acquisitions. Topics included how to obtain business-related legal experience while in law school and how to develop business relationships.
Advice and comments included:
- Be open to an unpaid position the summer after your 1L year
- Reach out to solo practitioners to get experience in business or transactional law
- A business background isn't required to be a business law attorney
- Start networking now with both attorneys and non-attorneys; they will serve as referrals later
- Take classes that interest you, not just bar-recommended courses
The next Breakfast with the Bar event will be held Friday, November 6 and features the Indy Attorneys Network. You can register for it here.
This article was written by Amy Grewal Dunn of the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law. If you would like to submit content or write an article for the Law Student Division page, please email Rachel Beachy at email@example.com.