Present: Marcelo Copat, Douglas Gallagher, Joel Tragesser, Darlene Seymour, Dave Roberts, Connie Lindman, Jeff Kosc, Tyler Droste, John Bishop, Derek Lavender, Matthew Clark, Michael Leinauer, Brian McGinnis, Xuan-Thao Nguyen, Mark Janis (via phone), and Deneen Fitzgerald (IndyBar)
- Next Indy Bar IP Executive Committee Meeting: Monday, November 9
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation: Ned Mulligan and Raegan Gibson provided an overview of IBF along with its impact on the community. The IBJ is attending meetings of each section to spread the word and encourage additional participation, which is currently only 15% of the membership.
- CLEs: Marcelo Copat is seeking a volunteer to chair the ethics CLE, which will take place on December 8, 2015 from 1:30 to 5:00 p.m. Submit any interest to Marcelo (Marcelo.Copat@FaegreBD.com) by Friday September 18, 2015.
Xuan-Thao Nguyen (IU McKinney) has three speakers (Scott A. McKeown, Bart Showalter, Carrie A. Beyer) for a panel discussion on January 26, 2016, at McKinney Law School, at 5 p.m., titled "Insights to PTAB/IPR."
Connie Lindman suggested a lunch CLE on January 26th on IPRs and will speak further with Xuan-Thao Nguyen.
Xuan-Thao Nguyen shared that IU McKinney has monthly meetings with 1-hour CLE. See http://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/ip/
Mark Janis (IU Maurer) shared Maurer Law School has monthly CLE events, which typically occur on Thursdays at 1:15 p.m. and last 2 hours. See http://ip.indiana.edu/events
- Elections: Marcelo Copat proposes an election in October for Recorder to start in January 2016. This will be a three-year commitment. Submit any interest or nominations to Marcelo (Marcelo.Copat@FaegreBD.com). The election will take place during the next committee meeting.
- Social Event:The committee had further discussion to have Xuan-Thao Nguyen (IU McKinney) host a social event at her home on the near north side, which would include a display of her fine art collection, most likely Thursday, December 3, 2015. Connie Lindman and Xuan-Thao Nguyen will chair the social event. The committee approved a $3,000 budget to cater the event.
- Communications/Web Site Postings: As a benefit to members of the IP Section, the IndyBar encourages each section committee to submit articles and other news to Rachel Beachy. Derek Lavender is leading this effort on behalf of the IP Section. Because it would likely be difficult for the committee to write original articles on a consistent basis and quicker than what is reported by other outlets, the committee is encouraged to share local articles and alerts as well as identifying which national publications share a particularly opinion or event well.