The Indy legal community is inching toward a return to pre-pandemic work environments, according to a recent survey by the Indianapolis Bar Association, though efficiencies and new working styles discovered as a result of the pandemic are likely to stick around long term.
Thank you to the members who took the time to provide this valuable insight.
When will employees begin returning to your firm/agency/organization's workplace?
- 78.5%: ASAP: Employees have already returned
- 9.39%: Planned date in future
- 6.08%: Soon
- 3.31%: Unsure (no definite plans)
- 2.76%: Other
If it has reopened, how often are you working from the office?
- 45.61%: Five days per week
- 15.79%: Three days per week
- 11.70%: Four days per week
- 8.77%: Two days per week
- 4.09%: One day per week
If applicable, what influences your choice to work either remotely or in the office?
- 31.64%: Productivity: I am more productive in the office.
- 19.21%: Convenience: It is more convenient to work remotely
- 19.21%: Other
- 10.17%: Social interaction: I appreciate seeing colleagues when working in the office.
- 9.60% Convenience: It is more convenient to work in the office.
- 7.91%: Productivity: I am more productive when I work remotely.
- 2.26%: Safety: There are fewer risks when working remotely.
What percent of your firm/agency/organization’s employees do you anticipate will work remotely at least one day per week?
- 43.09%: Few (0-29%)
- 33.7%: Most (60-10%)
- 19.34%: Many (30-59%)
- 3.87%: Not sure
Are there/will there be different options for remote work for attorneys versus support/non-attorney staff?
- 37.78%: No
- 35.56%: Yes
- 26.67%: Not sure
How do you anticipate total office space needs will be different for your firm/agency/organization or for the legal profession in general in Indianapolis in the next three years?
- 45.30%: Stay about the same
- 19.34%: Not sure
- 11.60%: Reduce between 16 and 25%
- 10.50%: Reduce by more than 25%
- 7.18%: Reduce between 5 and 15%
- 2.76%: Increase more than 25%
- 1.66%: Increase between 5 and 15%
- 1.66% Increase between 16 and 25%
How often did you work remotely prior to COVID-19?
- 45.56%: I didn’t work remotely
- 31.67%: Less than one day per week
- 10.56%: One day per week
- 5.00%: Two days per week
- 3.89%: Five days per week
- 1.67%: Three days per week
- 1.67%: Four days per week
How often do you anticipate you will once COVID-19 is no longer a concern?
- 22.22%: Less than one day per week
- 20.56%: I will not work remotely
- 21.11%: Two days per week
- 15.56%: One day per week
- 8.33%: Three days per week
- 6.67%: Five days per week
- 5.56%: Four days per week
Do you think productivity in your firm/agency/organization changed during COVID-19 quarantines?
- 48.60%: About the same
- 26.26%: More productive
- 25.14%: Less productive
When will you feel comfortable returning to in-person activities (i.e., social events, educational programs, etc.)?
- 70.72%: ASAP: I’m ready now (with precautions)!
- 16.02%: Soon, but with precautions.
- 9.94%: When herd immunity is reached/masks and distancing are not required.
- 3.31%: Unsure