Since 2007, attorney volunteers have assisted hundreds of individuals prepare for times when they can no longer speak for themselves through the Low Asset Wills program. For IndyBar volunteers it is easy: clients are pre-screened and template forms are provided.
Consider volunteering a small piece of your time for this program during the first quarter of 2013. The time commitment is minimal, but your impact is great. Feedback shows that each client commitment averages three to five hours.
This year the Pro Bono Standing Committee has expanded the program to include a Modest Means income-qualification level. Volunteers can choose: take only clients qualified to have their documents drafted pro bono, or agree to hold a complimentary consultation and charge no more than $75/hour for a modest means client while also taking one pro bono client as well.
Please contact Caren Chopp at email@example.com or 269-2000 if you are interested in participating or have questions. Specialized training will not be provided but we may be able to pair you with a mentor. If you plan to participate in this program, be sure to renew your IndyBar membership for 2013 as all volunteers must be current IndyBar members.
More about the Low Asset Will Program:
- Partnering agencies include CICOA, WIC, the Veteran’s Hospital, the Julian Center, the Damien Center, Marion Superior Courts and our local legal service providers advertise this program to the public.
- Financial applications and flyers are distributed to these agencies and they invite their constituents to participate. Information and financial applications are also posted on our website www.indybar.org.
- Applications will be accepted from January 1 until March 31, 2013. Applications are financially screened by Pro Bono Committee members and IndyBar staff. Those qualifying will be matched with an appropriate attorney volunteer within about 10 days of application receipt.
- The qualifying applicant will receive a letter with the volunteer attorney’s contact information. The applicant will be responsible for contacting the attorney to set up an appointment.
- The attorney will receive an information email from the IndyBar with the client’s financial application scanned and attached. Document templates will be provided in this email as well.
- Volunteers should be flexible as some of those who qualify for this program will have limited access to transportation.
- All documents should be executed by June 2013 with the original, signed document kept at the volunteer’s office, a copy to the client and a copy sent to the IndyBar.