The Young Lawyers Division (YLD) had a very successful first quarter – thanks to our diligent board and dedicated membership. On behalf of the YLD, I am happy to report on the YLD’s accomplishments to date, as well as our upcoming objectives next quarter.
One of the YLD’s goals for 2016 is to increase emphasis on providing our members high-value and worthwhile networking opportunities within the Circle City. In line with this goal, we held an extremely valuable event with Young Professionals of Central Indiana (YPCI) in January, as part of the Circle City Connect Series. We also kicked off March Madness by hosting an event with the new IndyBar Insurance Coverage Section.
In the first quarter of 2016, the YLD also paired with the IndyBar Law Student Division to create an impactful civic initiative called “Suited Up.” This program aimed to provide low-income, college-bound high school seniors with business attire, and local lawyers answered our call for help, donating nearly all of the dress clothes. The Suited Up program will culminate on April 22 when the young men and women receive their newly dry cleaned and tailored clothing and enjoy a presentation on college tips and appropriate interview conduct from members of the YLD and Law Student Division.
If you were unable to join us for these initiatives, please plan to network with us at our upcoming civic, social and educational YLD events. Here are a few highlights:
- The YLD is teaming up with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful (KIB) for one of its largest volunteer projects of the year, The Great Indy Cleanup, on April 23. YLD members will join around 400 volunteers in street and alleyway cleanups, habitat restoration, community garden work and planting hundreds of perennials and trees. Not only is this a great cause, but also has the added benefit of networking! Significant others, friends and older children of the YLD are encouraged to join this event.
- We are extremely excited for our Day at the Track, as this is a first-time event for the YLD! Calumet Specialty Products Partners generously volunteered a suite at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Wilson Kehoe Winingham LLP and Proteus’ sponsorships will help provide food and drinks! Thanks to input from YLD members, this event is also family-friendly.
- In addition to the civic and social initiatives, the YLD has a few upcoming CLE opportunities this spring.
- Based on feedback from our members, we are including more lunchtime CLE programs this year. On May 23 at noon, the YLD will host “How to Work with In-House Counsel.” This program will not only address the basics like the role of in-house counsel and the demands that in-house attorneys face, but will provide insight into best practices for maintaining positive working relationships with in-house counsel. Come join our speakers, David Duncan, Scannell Properties; Julie Mahomed, Calumet Specialty Products Partners LP; Debi Dobbins, The Heritage Group; and Jim Owen, Simon Property Group Inc., for an engaging panel discussion.
- Attorneys in their first three years of practice are required to attend an Applied Professional Course (APC). To assist our members in meeting this requirement, the YLD is offering such a course on April 21. Aside from the mandated curriculum, the YLD APC provides the added benefit of exposure to and tips from esteemed judges and lawyers in the community.
Last, but not least, the YLD is hoping to increase young lawyer presence at the Bench Bar Conference this year. As a result, the YLD sought applications and awarded two scholarships for the first time this year! Given that this scholarship is new to the YLD for 2016, the level of interest was high. Thank you to all who took the time to apply. We are thrilled to announce that Samantha Chapman and Whitney Fritz have been selected as the 2016 YLD Bench Bar Conference Scholarship recipients. Please help me in congratulating Samantha and Whitney! On behalf of the YLD, we hope you enjoy Bench Bar.
Please continue to check the IndyBar Events Calendar periodically throughout the year for more details.
As always, if you have any suggestions on ways to better the IndyBar YLD in 2016, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at email@example.com. The YLD is always looking for opportunities to enhance the services provided to its members, and welcomes your thoughts at any time.
Jennifer Tudor Wright
2016 Young Lawyers Division Chair
Don't miss these upcoming Young Lawyers Division events!
Applied Professionalism Course: April 21
Spring Social with the YLD: April 21
Great Indy Cleanup - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful: April 23
YLD Day at the Speedway: May 21
"How to Work with In-House Counsel" CLE: May 23
Indians Game with the Health Care & Life Sciences Section: June 2
Circle City Connect with Children's Bureau, Inc.: July 27