This year, the Government Practice Section is producing a series called Take Ten: Q+A in an effort to learn more about each other and what each section member does. Check out the first installment below from executive committee member Anne O'Connor, and submit your own responses to be featured in the series to Rachel Beachy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Name, firm and position at firm:
Anne Mullin O’Connor, Deputy Attorney General
2. What is the focus of your practice?:
Advice and counsel on day to day matters for state agencies including drafting and reviewing contracts, assisting agencies in the administrative rulemaking process and working on legal opinions.
3. How long have you been practicing?:
4. How long have you been in Indy?:
All my life (except for time spent out of state as an undergraduate).
5. What do you value most about the practice of law?:
The ability to work with people and to help them solve problems.
6. What else do you enjoy doing when you’re not at work?:
Spending time with my family and friends, watching sports (grade school and high school these days) and being active myself (so I have the energy to do that other things I enjoy!).
7. What position do you hold on the executive committee?:
At Large Member
8. What are some of your goals for the section this year? What are you most excited about for the section?:
The Government Practice Section has the benefit of touching on so many areas of the law as well as current events and issues—there never seems to be a shortage of interesting topics and speakers available to us.
9. What’s one piece of advice you’ve learned from your years of experience in the field?
There is still no better way to communicate with colleagues and clients than verbally, so once in a while, pick up the phone or stop in to see your colleagues or clients, don’t always rely on technology. It is great, but no replacement for verbal communication.
10. Anything else section members should know about you?
The most interesting part of my job is that I learn something new almost every day and that never gets old!
If you would like to be featured in the Take Ten Q+A series, send your responses to the above questiosn to Rachel Beachy at email@example.com and stay tuned for future installments!