Interest Groups

Are You Owed Back Child Support from Someone Who Has a Federal Thrift Savings Account? - Family Law News

Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.

Family Law News

Posted on: Nov 16, 2020

By Richard Mann, Mann Law PC

The Thrift Board has determined that a person’s Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is subject to a child support order. This does not apply to an ongoing payment of the support but is for the payment of a child support arrearage. The order must be specific to the TSP, must state a fixed amount, and must either state the amount to be paid or that the account is frozen pending a further order. You may want to seek a freeze if you believe the person may liquidate or close the account before the amount can be determined. For a further explanation of the requirements of the order, you should refer to this link. In the link, go to Subpart B Section 1653.11 for the discussion on child support. A court order can require a payment only to a spouse, former spouse, child, or dependent of a participant. For a further discussion, go to the FEDweek website, which is the website for discussion of federal employee benefits. The article on the child support issue is here.

This is a complicated process and you should consult your attorney, or if you do not have an attorney you should contact an attorney who regularly practices in the family law area.

If you would like to submit content or write an article for the Family Law Section, please email Kara Sikorski at


Indianapolis Bar Association (IndyBar) est. 1878 | 4,536 Members (as of 2.11.21)