As the pandemic rages on, we face the harsh reality of winter. Instead of hot cocoa and eggnog with our pals at the ski lodge, we are forced back into our homes with our families/cats. How to cope? How to avoid the frozen fate of Jack Torrance in The Shining? The Criminal Justice Section is here for you with recommendations to get you through the punishing winter.
They say there’s no place like home for the holidays, but I think we’re all getting pretty sick of home right now! The cat won’t stop scratching the furniture! Junior’s Zoom classes are growing unruly! What is that weird noise in the attic?! I think the dogged criminal practioner could use a break right now, so why not curl up on the couch with a cold cup of eggnog and watch a merry movie?
Five Festive Films About Felonies
- Die Hard: The pinnacle of non-Holiday Holiday movies. A film that dared to ask the question, what if we put Bruce Willis in an air duct with a machine gun? Would he crack wise? Would he ever!
- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: The film that heralded Robert Downey Jr.’s comeback, this quick caper is a romp through a Holiday Hollywood, which a sprinkle of mirthful mayhem.
- Batman Returns: Michael Keaton was the best Batman. No other actor was able to capture the sheer weirdness of a guy who dresses up in a leather cape to beat up criminals. And he is no weirder than in this Tim Burton grotesquery, which takes place in a late December in Gotham City.
- Gremlins: Look, the Gremlins commit a bunch of crimes! It’s a movie about crime!
- Home Alone: Ostensibly about a child who lives at home by himself, the real stars of this film are the Wet Bandits. These two rollicking robbers are the heart and soul of Christopher Columbus’s classic.
If you would like to submit content or write an article for the Criminal Justice Section, please email Kara Sikorski at email@example.com.