As the pandemic rages on, we face the harsh reality of winter. Instead of hot cocoa and eggnog with our pals at the ski lodge, we are forced back into our homes with our families/cats. How to cope? How to avoid the frozen fate of Jack Torrance in The Shining? The Criminal Justice Section is here for you with recommendations to get you through the punishing winter.
Five Great Crime TV Shows
Nothing says relaxation like curling up on the couch, firing up the tube, and watching hours upon hours of tortured detectives, scheming criminal masterminds, and heroic defense attorneys standing up to the grinding gears of the State. Marshall McLuhan once described television as a “cool medium,” but we promise these shows will heat things up!
- Mindhunter: Directed by genius auteur David Fincher, Mindhunter tells the story of the beginnings of the FBI’s Behavioral Health Unit. Featuring great performances, stellar writing and spooky interviews with serial killers, Mindhunter is one to hunt for!
- Hannibal: Also featuring the Behavioral Health Unit, this pulpy prequel to Silence of the Lambs stars Mads Mikkelson as a dapper Hannibal Lector. Maybe better than Hopkins?!
- Top of the Lake: Got the cold weather blues? Take a television trip to New Zealand with Elizabeth Moss! She plays an Aussie detective trying to unravel the mystery of a missing girl.
- The Wire: If you haven’t watched The Wire, what are you doing!? The urtext of Baltimore cops and robbers, The Wire is nuanced, funny, sad, and gripping.
- Arrested Development: The first two seasons of Arrested Development are an inside look at white collar crime litigation with your guide, the incomparable attorney Barry Zuckerkorn played by the immortal Henry Winkler.
If you would like to submit content or write an article for the Criminal Justice Section, please email Kara Sikorski at firstname.lastname@example.org.