- 04.21.2014IndyBar Member Honored with 2014 Heartland Pro Bono Award
Brent Taylor of Faegre Baker Daniels was honored with the 2014 Heartland Pro Bono Award in recognition of his many years of service with the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Homeless Project.
- 04.15.2014A Proposal to Allow Citations of All Indiana Appellate Opinions
Appellate Rule 65 currently prohibits lawyers from citing or relying on the nearly 75 percent of Indiana Court of Appeals’ opinions issued as memorandum (not-for-publication) decisions.
- 04.11.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Issues Statement Regarding Proposed Criminal Justice Center
The Indianapolis Bar Association voted April 9 to give encouraging yet conditional support to the Mayor’s recent proposal to construct a new criminal justice center complex.
- 03.21.2014Nominations Now Open for Law Student of the Year
Know a great IndyBar law student member? Nominate him or her for the IndyBar Law Student of the Year award!
- 03.14.2014Proposed Rule Amendments: March 2014
Notice of Proposed Rule Amendments by the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure for Public Comment
- 03.12.2014IndyBar Law Student Division Seeking Executive Board Members
The Indianapolis Bar Association is seeking additional members to sit on the 2014-2015 Law Student Division Executive Board. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be involved with the IndyBar Law Student Division.
- 02.25.2014High School Mock Trial Judges Needed
On Saturday and Sunday, March 1 and 2, 2014, 24 high school mock trial teams will vie for the title of State Champion and the opportunity to represent Indiana at the National High School Mock Trial Tournament in May.
- 02.20.2014NEW DATE: Humane Society, IndyBar Partner to Present “Pet Academy Awards”
Take a stroll down the red carpet for the “Pet Academy Awards” on Sunday, March 16.
- 02.20.2014Carryout Lunch Discount Available for IndyBar Members
Heading to an IndyBar brownbag lunch CLE program? Swing by Labor District Cafe, where you can get 10% off of all pre-ordered carryout orders!
- 02.19.2014Community Court: Civility in Action
In the newest installment of the IndyBar Professionalism Committee’s Pause for Professionalism video series, Marion County Deputy Prosecutor Kathy Infanger explains the purpose and role of the Marion County Community Court.
- 02.19.2014Ready to Make an Impact? Indianapolis Bar Foundation to Award $35,000 Grant
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation (IBF) is now accepting applications through April 1, 2014 for its Impact Fund Grant of at least $35,000 to be awarded in late May 2014.
- 02.14.2014A Deal You'll Love: 10% Off IndyBar Membership Renewal!
Save 10% on your membership renewal on Valentine's Day by using promo code LOVEINDYBAR.
- 02.13.2014Indianapolis Bar Association’s Position on Proposed Criminal Justice Complex Location
The Indianapolis Bar Association continues to support efforts to explore all opportunities to create a safe, adequate and dignified justice center for Marion County.
- 02.12.2014Application Period Open for $35,000 IBF Impact Fund Grant
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation (IBF) is now accepting applications through April 1, 2014, for its Impact Fund Grant of at least $35,000 to be awarded by June 2014.
- 02.11.2014IndyBar Tax Section Shares HJR-3 Concerns with Indiana Legislature
The Tax Section was asked by the IndyBar Legislative Committee to share tax-related insight on the potential impact of HJR-3. The following letter was submitted to the Indiana Senate on behalf of the section by section member Derek Hamilton.
- 02.07.2014Don’t Miss Out on Free CLE Fridays at the IndyBar
Get six hours of free CLE each year with your IndyBar membership! Mark your calendar for the second Friday of each month from February to November, and make plans to join us for this members-only offering at the IndyBar Education Center.
- 01.27.2014UPDATED: Closings and Delays for Tuesday, January 28
As of 4:30 p.m. on Monday, January 27, the IndyBar is aware of the following delays and closings for Tuesday, January 28.
- 01.27.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Announces Opposition to HJR-3 and HB1153
The Indianapolis Bar Association today announced its opposition to HJR-3, the constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage and civil unions, and HB1153, its companion legislation.
- 01.24.2014Event Scheduled to Share Information on Oral Fluid Drug Testing
Indy attorneys are invited to attend an orientation session to learn more about the oral fluid drug testing services being offered by Avertest, Marion Superior Court's new drug lab vendor.
- 01.21.2014IndyBar Releases Results of Judicial Candidate Survey
Today the Indianapolis Bar Association (“IndyBar”) released the results of its evaluation of candidates for Marion County judge. Twenty-four candidates are seeking support from their parties next month in pursuit of election in the May 6, 2014 primary.
- 01.16.2014IndyBar Launches Expanded Communications Tools
Two years ago, a forward-thinking group of IndyBar members gathered to ponder the future of the bar’s communications efforts. Today, their vision is a reality.
- 01.10.2014Starting the New Year with Legal Questions? The IndyBar Has Answers. Free Legal Advice January 14, 2
Determined to solve a nagging problem in the New Year? Free legal advice from local lawyers is only a phone call away. On Tuesday, January 14, the Indianapolis Bar Association will offer Legal Line, a free legal advice call-in service from 6 to 8 p.m. at
- 01.10.2014Attorney Volunteers Needed for IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project
The IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project is looking for attorney volunteers. Through this project, IndyBar volunteers visit one of five local homeless shelters each month, giving legal advice and occasionally offering limited representation.
- 01.06.2014Marion Circuit and Superior Courts will be closed again tomorrow, Jan. 7.
Due to the severe winter weather, Marion Circuit and Superior Courts will be closed again tomorrow, Jan. 7.
- 01.06.2014Marion Superior Court 20 Jury Trials for the Week of January 6
Due to the severe weather conditions, all Court 20 Juries for the week of January 6 are being continued.
- 01.05.2014IndyBar Office Closed January 6
Due to inclement weather, the IndyBar office will be closed on Monday, January 6.
- 12.20.2013Application Process for New Attorney ID Cards Now Open
It’s renewal time for City-County Building Attorney Identification Cards, and the process has gone online. Starting Dec. 20, 2013, attorneys seeking to renew cards or apply for new cards can do so online at https://www.biz.indygov.org/attorneycards/.
- 12.19.2013Applications Now Being Accepted for Low Asset Wills Program
Indianapolis Bar Association attorneys are drafting end of life documents for free as a service to the community.
- 12.18.2013IndyBar Board Approves Rule Change Proposal
The Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors approved a proposed rule amendment generated by the bar’s Appellate Practice Section at its Dec. 4 meeting.
- 12.16.2013Grace Period for Indiana Appellate Rule 9(A) Ending Soon
Starting January 1, 2014, Notices of Appeal may only be filed with the Clerk of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, and Tax Court.
- 12.11.2013IndyBar Seeking Volunteers for Low Asset Wills Program
Giving thanks: Offering your expertise to others is a great way to pay forward your good fortune.
- 12.10.2013Get a Free Ride with Uber This Holiday Season!
Getting around during the holidays is hard, but catching a ride with Uber isn't. Get a free ride to or from IndyBar holiday parties with a FREE first Uber BLACK car, SUV, or uberX ride!
- 12.09.2013Materials for IndyBar 11th Hour Video Replays Now Available
The Indianapolis Bar Association has your last-minute CLE needs covered with 11th Hour Video Replays.
- 11.26.2013Final Appointments Made for 2014 IndyBar Board of Directors
The slate for the 2014 Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors is now complete with the appointment of four Vice Presidents and the Counsel to the Board by President-Elect Jeffrey A. Abrams of Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff LLP.
- 11.12.2013Make a Difference: Volunteer to Take a Family Law or Minor Guardianship Pro Bono Case
The IndyBar and local legal service providers have been teaming up to provide pro bono help in family law cases. Almost a year into this joint effort, more than 100 cases have been placed and volunteers are needed to provide assist those in need.
- 11.01.2013Plus CLE Expanded to All Sections, Divisions for 2014
Choosing the Plus CLE membership option will allow members to join a section or division and attend all of that group’s one hour brownbag CLE programs at no additional cost throughout 2014. Each section or division will offer a minimum of four programs.
- 10.30.2013IndyBar Green Legal Initiative Recognizes 27 Firms, Legal Departments for 2013
The IndyBar Go Green Committee, a sub-committee of the Young Lawyers Division, has released its list of Green Legal Initiative firms for 2013.
- 10.17.2013Moberly to Lead Bar in 2016
The Indianapolis Bar Association’s Nominating Committee has announced the selection of the Hon. Robyn Moberly of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana as the 2016 President of the Indianapolis Bar Association.
- 10.15.2013Local Leaders to be Honored with IndyBar Recognition Awards
These IndyBar members–and their innovative ideas–are just a few of those who will be honored at the Indianapolis Bar Association and Foundation Recognition Luncheon on Thursday, November 14, 2013.
- 10.09.2013Some Civil Litigation Suspended in U.S. District Court Due to Shutdown
On October 7, 2013, Chief Judge Richard L. Young of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana signed an order suspending much of the civil litigation in which the United States is a party due to the recent government shutdown.
- 10.07.2013IndyBar to Co-Host Project Pro Bono Trainings
The IndyBar Pro Bono Standing Committee will co-host several pro bono training events with other community and legal organizations.
- 10.02.2013Marion Circuit Court Adopts Amendment to Small Claims Court Rule
On July 16th, the Marion Circuit Court published for comment a proposed amendment to Local Small Claims Rule 502. Following a comment period ending August 31, the court modified the rule as proposed.
- 09.18.2013DEADLINE EXTENDED: Are You Green Legal?
The application period for 2013 Green Legal Certification is now open!
- 09.18.2013Scholarships Available for Women, Law & Leadership Symposium
The Indianapolis Bar Association Women & the Law Division is proud to present “Women, Law & Leadership: Pay it Forward,” a comprehensive symposium designed to inform, inspire and enlighten.
- 09.05.2013Legal Question? Free Advice Available September 10
An answer to a nagging legal question has never been easier to find, and it’s free too! On Tuesday, September 10, the Indianapolis Bar Association will offer Legal Line, a free call-in legal advice service, from 6 to 8 p.m. at 317-269-2000.
- 09.03.2013Heartland Pro Bono Council Announces Revised Eligibility Standards
The Heartland Pro Bono Council has released draft revised eligibility standards and invites members of the bar to submit feedback.
- 08.27.2013IndyBar Law Student Division Seeking Executive Board Members
The Indianapolis Bar Association is seeking additional members to sit on the 2013-2014 Law Student Division Executive Board. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be involved with the IndyBar Law Student Division.
- 08.15.2013Nominations Now Open for 2014 IndyBar Board of Directors
Service on the IndyBar Board of Directors provides a valuable opportunity to play a crucial role in the success and future of your local bar association.
- 08.15.2013Scheduled Maintenance on IndyBar Online CLE Platform
IndyBar Online CLE may be unavailable at times between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Saturday, August 17.
- 08.15.2013Thank you for "Stocking the Schools"!
Twenty-five different firms, agencies and organizations supported the Professionalism Committee's inaugural school supply drive to benefit Teachers' Treasures.
- 08.14.2013IndyBar Board of Directors Approves Model Rule Guidelines for Marion County Judicial Selection
As part of its ongoing efforts to facilitate judicial elections issues reform, the Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors approved at its July 2013 meeting a set of Model Rule Guidelines for the Marion County judicial selection system.
- 08.05.2013Congratulations to Class XI of the IndyBar Bar Leader Series!
Selections have been made for the 2013-2014 Bar Leader Series program.
- 08.05.2013Nominate a Colleague for an IndyBar Recognition Award
Do you know of a deserving IndyBar member who has worked hard for his or her community? Nominate him or her for an IndyBar award!
- 08.05.2013Zore, Russell Named Recipients of Professionalism Awards
The IndyBar Professionalism Committee has named Hon. Gerald Zore of Marion Superior Court the 2013 recipient of the Silver Gavel Award, while C. Joseph Russell has been posthumously awarded the bar's Professionalism award for 2013.
- 08.01.2013Applications Now Accepted for IndyBar Review Scholarships
Two scholarships for the Winter 2014 IndyBar Review session are up for grabs. These scholarships are generously funded by the Indianapolis Bar Foundation.
- 07.29.2013Stock the Schools to Benefit Local Students, Teachers
As the school buses head out for a new year, the IndyBar Professionalism Committee urges firms, agencies and legal departments to “Stock the Schools” in the committee’s inaugural school supply drive to benefit local non-profit Teachers’ Treasures.
- 07.19.2013Law Student Scholarship Available from IndyBar Government Practice Section
The Indianapolis Bar Association Government Practice Section is pleased to announce the availability of an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to be awarded to a second or third year law student with an interest in government practice.
- 07.08.2013Rest Easy this Summer with Free Legal Advice from the IndyBar
Don't let legal woes get in the way of sunny summer fun. An answer to a nagging legal question has never been easier to find, and it’s free too!
- 07.08.2013Show Your Support for Diversity!
Registration is now open for events to be held in conjunction with the 2013 IndyBar Diversity Job Fair.
- 06.26.2013Share the IndyBar Love!
Refer a colleague to the IndyBar and when they join, you'll get a FREE hour of IndyBar CLE programming.
- 06.24.2013Give us half a chance!
Join the IndyBar now through September 30 and pay half price for your membership dues. That gives you six months to check out what's new around your local bar association!
- 06.10.2013Nominations Now Open for 2013 Antoinette Dakin Leach Award
The Antoinette Dakin Leach Award recognizes the accomplishments of female attorneys in central Indiana and is presented by the Women & the Law Division in honor of Antoinette Dakin Leach, the first woman admitted to the Indiana bar.
- 06.06.2013Fast, Free Legal Advice Available Tuesday, June 11
An answer to a nagging legal question has never been easier to find, and it’s free too! On Tuesday, June 11, the Indianapolis Bar Association will offer Legal Line, a free call-in legal advice service, from 6 to 8 p.m. at 317-269-2000.
- 05.30.2013Honor the Best of the Best
The IndyBar Professionalism Committee is soliciting nominations for the 2013 IndyBar Professionalism Award (Attorney) and IndyBar Silver Gavel Award (Judge). Nominations are due on Monday, July 15.
- 05.30.2013Indianapolis Bar Association, Shortridge High School to Host Careers in Law Fair
Shortridge Magnet High School Law and Public Policy, in collaboration with the Indianapolis Bar Association, will host the second annual Careers in Law Fair on Friday, June 7 from 10:50 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- 05.30.2013Indianapolis Bar Foundation Awards $35,000 Impact Fund Grant to Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation announced Wednesday that Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) has been awarded the organization’s 2013 Impact Fund Grant of $35,000.
- 05.14.2013Indianapolis Bar Foundation Awards Academic and Educational Scholarships
Seven individuals received the IBF funded scholarships.
- 05.10.2013Community Garden Planting and Health Fair Planned to Benefit Near West Neighborhoods
A group of attorneys in the Indianapolis Bar Association's Bar Leader Series have teamed up with the Near West Collaborative to make this community event possible.
- 05.09.2013Denise Bowlby Named IndyBar Paralegal of the Year
The award recognizes an outstanding paralegal for his or her exceptional contribution to the legal community. The recipient must also be recognized as a good role model for the paralegal profession, and deserving of special recognition.
- 05.03.20132013-2014 Bar Leader Series: A "Must Have"
Applications for this highly-regarded leadership development program are now available.
- 05.02.2013Shortridge High School to Host Naturalization Ceremony
The Honorable Jane Magnus-Stinson of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana will preside over the ceremony, which is the result of a collaboration between the school, the court and the IndyBar Public Outreach Committee.
- 11.06.2012I'm an IndyBar Paralegal Member...or I'd Like to Join. Now What Do I Do?
If you are a member already and want to get more out of your membership, or if you are not yet a member and wonder why you should be, read on…I hope to inspire you to greater heights!