- 07.17.2014Attorney Registration Fees Will Increase in August
Attorneys will see about a 25 percent increase in registration fees this fall.
- 07.16.2014Talking Points With the Top Paralegal
Get some tips straight from the top from our interview with the IndyBar's Paralegal of the Year, Jodie Bergeron.
- 07.15.2014Go Plus CLE and Get More!
By now you've heard about Plus CLE, but here's where you can find the 411 on all the benefits. Consider going Plus CLE for your 2015 section/division membership, or add Plus CLE on for 2014!
- 07.14.2014Marion Superior Court Seeks Court Administrator
Applications for the position will be accepted through July 26.
- 07.14.2014US Attorney Joseph H. Hogsett Announces Resignation
Hogsett's resignation was submitted on the morning of July 14 and will be effective July 31.
- 07.11.2014Moberly Appointed Chief Bankruptcy Judge
The Hon. Robyn L. Moberly of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana will replace Judge James K. Coachys on August 1. Judge Moberly currently serves as the Indianapolis Bar Association’s first vice president.
- 07.11.2014Attorney Volunteers Needed for IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project
Want to Make an Impact? The IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project is looking for attorney volunteers. Through this project, IndyBar volunteers visit four local homeless shelters each month, giving legal advice and occasionally offering limited representation.
- 07.11.2014Jodie L. Bergeron Named IndyBar Paralegal of the Year
The Indianapolis Bar Association is proud to recognize Jodie L. Bergeron of Cohen & Malad LLP as the association's Paralegal of the Year for 2014.
- 07.07.2014Beat the Heat: Resolve Legal Issues with Advice at a Cool Cost - FREE!
There's enough heat in July without adding the stress and cost of a legal issue. To keep your cool under the pressure of legal woes, check out Legal Line, a free call-in legal advice service.
- 07.07.2014Go Green and Be Seen!
It's the third year for the Green Legal initiative. Take part and your firm will be featured on our list of green legal firms!
- 07.02.2014Increase in Attorney Annual Registration Fees
The Indiana Supreme Court issued an order that increases annual registration fees for Indiana attorneys.
- 07.01.2014Honor the Best of the Best
Nominations are now open for the 2014 Silver Gavel and Professionalism Awards.
- 06.30.2014Commission on Judicial Qualifications Issues Advisory Opinion
The Indiana Commission on Judicial Qualifications issued an advisory opinion concerning the Code of Judicial Conduct in regards to content of campaign materials to protect the integrity, independence, and impartiality of the judiciary.
- 06.25.2014Notice of Proposed Rule Changes from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Written comments on the proposed rule changes should be sent by August 1, 2014.
- 06.16.2014Indy Legal Community to "Stock the Schools" for Teachers' Treasures
Spearheaded by the Indianapolis Bar Association Professionalism Committee, local law firms and agencies are encouraged to collect new and gently used school supplied to be donated to Teachers' Treasures, which connects teachers with free supplies.
- 06.13.2014IndyBar Diversity Job Fair Recognized with ABA Partnership Award
The IndyBar Diversity Job Fair is enjoying the national spotlight as a recipient of the 2014 Partnership Award from the American Bar Association (ABA).
- 06.13.2014Stock the Schools for Teachers' Treasures!
Step up and help support the educational needs of the children in our community by donating items from your office, your home, or the store to Teachers' Treasures for the second annual IndyBar Stock the Schools supply drive.
- 06.13.2014Nominate a Paralegal for IndyBar Paralegal of the Year
Assistance from qualified and competent paralegals is crucial to the success of many attorneys. This year, make sure to recognize the important paralegal in your life by submitting a Paralegal of the Year Award nomination.
- 06.13.2014Nominations Now Accepted for Antoinette Dakin Leach Award
To recognize the accomplishments of female attorneys in central Indiana, the IndyBar's Women & the Law Division presents the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award, an honor named for the first woman who gained admittance to the Indiana Bar.
- 06.09.2014Free Legal Advice Available June 10
Dealing with a legal issue can be stressful, intimidating, and above all, costly. This week Indy-area residents can take advantage of a free consultation with a friendly volunteer attorney to help resolve their legal problems.
- 05.28.2014Indianapolis Bar Foundation Awards $35,000 Impact Fund Grant to the Joseph Maley Foundation
The IBF announced today that the Joseph Maley Foundation has been named the 2014 Impact Fund Grant recipient. The grant will fund the foundation's Parent Education and Pro Bono Legal Assistance Program for students with individualized education plans.
- 05.22.2014Indiana Trial and Appellate Courts Launch Statewide E-Filing for Court Documents
The convenience and efficiency of electronic filing of court documents is on the horizon for Indiana’s trial and appellate courts. The Indiana Supreme Court is ending two centuries of paper filings with the decision to launch statewide e-filing.
- 05.13.2014Winner of Bar Leader Series Poster Competition Announced
A core aspect of the IndyBar Bar Leader Series is the development and execution of a community service team project by participants. The "Kids Team" worked to raise awareness of the Indiana Lifeline Law with a poster contest at Butler University.
- 05.07.2014Indianapolis Bar Foundation Awards Academic and Educational Scholarships
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation awarded six scholarships to both law students and to individuals preparing to take the Indiana Bar Exam in summer 2014.
- 05.02.2014Motivate, Inspire, Lead: Applications Now Accepted for Bar Leader Series Class XII
The Bar Leader Series is the IndyBar's leadership development program for young attorneys. This fast-track series empowers participants to make the most of their innate talents, while emphasizing the importance of service to the community.
- 05.02.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Shares Voter Education Tool for May Primary
An informed electorate is a cornerstone of democracy, and qualified judges are the foundation of a fair, impartial and constitutionally guaranteed system of courts of law known as the judiciary.
- 04.28.2014Shortridge High School to Host Naturalization Ceremony May 1
Students at Shortridge Magnet High School for Law & Public Policy will experience the final step to becoming an American citizen first-hand as the school hosts a naturalization ceremony for individuals seeking citizenship on Thursday, May 1 at 10 a.m.
- 04.23.2014Scholarships Available for Bench Bar Conference
Through the generosity of Bench Bar sponsors, 20 scholarships are available to attend the 2014 conference in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 04.21.2014IndyBar Member Honored with 2014 Heartland Pro Bono Award
Brent Taylor of Faegre Baker Daniels was honored with the 2014 Heartland Pro Bono Award in recognition of his many years of service with the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Homeless Project.
- 04.15.2014A Proposal to Allow Citations of All Indiana Appellate Opinions
Appellate Rule 65 currently prohibits lawyers from citing or relying on the nearly 75 percent of Indiana Court of Appeals’ opinions issued as memorandum (not-for-publication) decisions.
- 04.11.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Issues Statement Regarding Proposed Criminal Justice Center
The Indianapolis Bar Association voted April 9 to give encouraging yet conditional support to the Mayor’s recent proposal to construct a new criminal justice center complex.
- 03.21.2014Nominations Now Open for Law Student of the Year
Know a great IndyBar law student member? Nominate him or her for the IndyBar Law Student of the Year award!
- 03.14.2014Proposed Rule Amendments: March 2014
Notice of Proposed Rule Amendments by the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure for Public Comment
- 03.12.2014IndyBar Law Student Division Seeking Executive Board Members
The Indianapolis Bar Association is seeking additional members to sit on the 2014-2015 Law Student Division Executive Board. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be involved with the IndyBar Law Student Division.
- 02.25.2014High School Mock Trial Judges Needed
On Saturday and Sunday, March 1 and 2, 2014, 24 high school mock trial teams will vie for the title of State Champion and the opportunity to represent Indiana at the National High School Mock Trial Tournament in May.
- 02.20.2014NEW DATE: Humane Society, IndyBar Partner to Present “Pet Academy Awards”
Take a stroll down the red carpet for the “Pet Academy Awards” on Sunday, March 16.
- 02.20.2014Carryout Lunch Discount Available for IndyBar Members
Heading to an IndyBar brownbag lunch CLE program? Swing by Labor District Cafe, where you can get 10% off of all pre-ordered carryout orders!
- 02.19.2014Community Court: Civility in Action
In the newest installment of the IndyBar Professionalism Committee’s Pause for Professionalism video series, Marion County Deputy Prosecutor Kathy Infanger explains the purpose and role of the Marion County Community Court.
- 02.19.2014Ready to Make an Impact? Indianapolis Bar Foundation to Award $35,000 Grant
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation (IBF) is now accepting applications through April 1, 2014 for its Impact Fund Grant of at least $35,000 to be awarded in late May 2014.
- 02.14.2014A Deal You'll Love: 10% Off IndyBar Membership Renewal!
Save 10% on your membership renewal on Valentine's Day by using promo code LOVEINDYBAR.
- 02.13.2014Indianapolis Bar Association’s Position on Proposed Criminal Justice Complex Location
The Indianapolis Bar Association continues to support efforts to explore all opportunities to create a safe, adequate and dignified justice center for Marion County.
- 02.12.2014Application Period Open for $35,000 IBF Impact Fund Grant
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation (IBF) is now accepting applications through April 1, 2014, for its Impact Fund Grant of at least $35,000 to be awarded by June 2014.
- 02.11.2014IndyBar Tax Section Shares HJR-3 Concerns with Indiana Legislature
The Tax Section was asked by the IndyBar Legislative Committee to share tax-related insight on the potential impact of HJR-3. The following letter was submitted to the Indiana Senate on behalf of the section by section member Derek Hamilton.
- 02.07.2014Don’t Miss Out on Free CLE Fridays at the IndyBar
Get six hours of free CLE each year with your IndyBar membership! Mark your calendar for the second Friday of each month from February to November, and make plans to join us for this members-only offering at the IndyBar Education Center.
- 01.27.2014UPDATED: Closings and Delays for Tuesday, January 28
As of 4:30 p.m. on Monday, January 27, the IndyBar is aware of the following delays and closings for Tuesday, January 28.
- 01.27.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Announces Opposition to HJR-3 and HB1153
The Indianapolis Bar Association today announced its opposition to HJR-3, the constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage and civil unions, and HB1153, its companion legislation.
- 01.24.2014Event Scheduled to Share Information on Oral Fluid Drug Testing
Indy attorneys are invited to attend an orientation session to learn more about the oral fluid drug testing services being offered by Avertest, Marion Superior Court's new drug lab vendor.
- 01.21.2014IndyBar Releases Results of Judicial Candidate Survey
Today the Indianapolis Bar Association (“IndyBar”) released the results of its evaluation of candidates for Marion County judge. Twenty-four candidates are seeking support from their parties next month in pursuit of election in the May 6, 2014 primary.
- 01.16.2014IndyBar Launches Expanded Communications Tools
Two years ago, a forward-thinking group of IndyBar members gathered to ponder the future of the bar’s communications efforts. Today, their vision is a reality.
- 01.10.2014Starting the New Year with Legal Questions? The IndyBar Has Answers. Free Legal Advice January 14, 2
Determined to solve a nagging problem in the New Year? Free legal advice from local lawyers is only a phone call away. On Tuesday, January 14, the Indianapolis Bar Association will offer Legal Line, a free legal advice call-in service from 6 to 8 p.m. at
- 01.10.2014Attorney Volunteers Needed for IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project
The IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project is looking for attorney volunteers. Through this project, IndyBar volunteers visit one of five local homeless shelters each month, giving legal advice and occasionally offering limited representation.
- 01.06.2014Marion Circuit and Superior Courts will be closed again tomorrow, Jan. 7.
Due to the severe winter weather, Marion Circuit and Superior Courts will be closed again tomorrow, Jan. 7.
- 01.06.2014Marion Superior Court 20 Jury Trials for the Week of January 6
Due to the severe weather conditions, all Court 20 Juries for the week of January 6 are being continued.
- 01.05.2014IndyBar Office Closed January 6
Due to inclement weather, the IndyBar office will be closed on Monday, January 6.
- 12.20.2013Application Process for New Attorney ID Cards Now Open
It’s renewal time for City-County Building Attorney Identification Cards, and the process has gone online. Starting Dec. 20, 2013, attorneys seeking to renew cards or apply for new cards can do so online at https://www.biz.indygov.org/attorneycards/.
- 12.19.2013Applications Now Being Accepted for Low Asset Wills Program
Indianapolis Bar Association attorneys are drafting end of life documents for free as a service to the community.
- 12.18.2013IndyBar Board Approves Rule Change Proposal
The Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors approved a proposed rule amendment generated by the bar’s Appellate Practice Section at its Dec. 4 meeting.
- 12.16.2013Grace Period for Indiana Appellate Rule 9(A) Ending Soon
Starting January 1, 2014, Notices of Appeal may only be filed with the Clerk of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, and Tax Court.
- 12.11.2013IndyBar Seeking Volunteers for Low Asset Wills Program
Giving thanks: Offering your expertise to others is a great way to pay forward your good fortune.
- 12.10.2013Get a Free Ride with Uber This Holiday Season!
Getting around during the holidays is hard, but catching a ride with Uber isn't. Get a free ride to or from IndyBar holiday parties with a FREE first Uber BLACK car, SUV, or uberX ride!
- 12.09.2013Materials for IndyBar 11th Hour Video Replays Now Available
The Indianapolis Bar Association has your last-minute CLE needs covered with 11th Hour Video Replays.
- 11.26.2013Final Appointments Made for 2014 IndyBar Board of Directors
The slate for the 2014 Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors is now complete with the appointment of four Vice Presidents and the Counsel to the Board by President-Elect Jeffrey A. Abrams of Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff LLP.
- 11.12.2013Make a Difference: Volunteer to Take a Family Law or Minor Guardianship Pro Bono Case
The IndyBar and local legal service providers have been teaming up to provide pro bono help in family law cases. Almost a year into this joint effort, more than 100 cases have been placed and volunteers are needed to provide assist those in need.
- 11.01.2013Plus CLE Expanded to All Sections, Divisions for 2014
Choosing the Plus CLE membership option will allow members to join a section or division and attend all of that group’s one hour brownbag CLE programs at no additional cost throughout 2014. Each section or division will offer a minimum of four programs.
- 10.30.2013IndyBar Green Legal Initiative Recognizes 27 Firms, Legal Departments for 2013
The IndyBar Go Green Committee, a sub-committee of the Young Lawyers Division, has released its list of Green Legal Initiative firms for 2013.
- 10.17.2013Moberly to Lead Bar in 2016
The Indianapolis Bar Association’s Nominating Committee has announced the selection of the Hon. Robyn Moberly of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana as the 2016 President of the Indianapolis Bar Association.
- 10.15.2013Local Leaders to be Honored with IndyBar Recognition Awards
These IndyBar members–and their innovative ideas–are just a few of those who will be honored at the Indianapolis Bar Association and Foundation Recognition Luncheon on Thursday, November 14, 2013.
- 10.09.2013Some Civil Litigation Suspended in U.S. District Court Due to Shutdown
On October 7, 2013, Chief Judge Richard L. Young of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana signed an order suspending much of the civil litigation in which the United States is a party due to the recent government shutdown.
- 10.07.2013IndyBar to Co-Host Project Pro Bono Trainings
The IndyBar Pro Bono Standing Committee will co-host several pro bono training events with other community and legal organizations.
- 10.02.2013Marion Circuit Court Adopts Amendment to Small Claims Court Rule
On July 16th, the Marion Circuit Court published for comment a proposed amendment to Local Small Claims Rule 502. Following a comment period ending August 31, the court modified the rule as proposed.
- 09.18.2013Scholarships Available for Women, Law & Leadership Symposium
The Indianapolis Bar Association Women & the Law Division is proud to present “Women, Law & Leadership: Pay it Forward,” a comprehensive symposium designed to inform, inspire and enlighten.
- 09.05.2013Legal Question? Free Advice Available September 10
An answer to a nagging legal question has never been easier to find, and it’s free too! On Tuesday, September 10, the Indianapolis Bar Association will offer Legal Line, a free call-in legal advice service, from 6 to 8 p.m. at 317-269-2000.
- 09.03.2013Heartland Pro Bono Council Announces Revised Eligibility Standards
The Heartland Pro Bono Council has released draft revised eligibility standards and invites members of the bar to submit feedback.
- 08.27.2013IndyBar Law Student Division Seeking Executive Board Members
The Indianapolis Bar Association is seeking additional members to sit on the 2013-2014 Law Student Division Executive Board. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be involved with the IndyBar Law Student Division.
- 08.15.2013Nominations Now Open for 2014 IndyBar Board of Directors
Service on the IndyBar Board of Directors provides a valuable opportunity to play a crucial role in the success and future of your local bar association.
- 08.15.2013Scheduled Maintenance on IndyBar Online CLE Platform
IndyBar Online CLE may be unavailable at times between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Saturday, August 17.
- 08.15.2013Thank you for "Stocking the Schools"!
Twenty-five different firms, agencies and organizations supported the Professionalism Committee's inaugural school supply drive to benefit Teachers' Treasures.
- 08.14.2013IndyBar Board of Directors Approves Model Rule Guidelines for Marion County Judicial Selection
As part of its ongoing efforts to facilitate judicial elections issues reform, the Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors approved at its July 2013 meeting a set of Model Rule Guidelines for the Marion County judicial selection system.
- 08.05.2013Congratulations to Class XI of the IndyBar Bar Leader Series!
Selections have been made for the 2013-2014 Bar Leader Series program.
- 08.05.2013Nominate a Colleague for an IndyBar Recognition Award
Do you know of a deserving IndyBar member who has worked hard for his or her community? Nominate him or her for an IndyBar award!
- 08.05.2013Zore, Russell Named Recipients of Professionalism Awards
The IndyBar Professionalism Committee has named Hon. Gerald Zore of Marion Superior Court the 2013 recipient of the Silver Gavel Award, while C. Joseph Russell has been posthumously awarded the bar's Professionalism award for 2013.
- 08.01.2013Applications Now Accepted for IndyBar Review Scholarships
Two scholarships for the Winter 2014 IndyBar Review session are up for grabs. These scholarships are generously funded by the Indianapolis Bar Foundation.
- 07.29.2013Stock the Schools to Benefit Local Students, Teachers
As the school buses head out for a new year, the IndyBar Professionalism Committee urges firms, agencies and legal departments to “Stock the Schools” in the committee’s inaugural school supply drive to benefit local non-profit Teachers’ Treasures.
- 11.06.2012I'm an IndyBar Paralegal Member...or I'd Like to Join. Now What Do I Do?
If you are a member already and want to get more out of your membership, or if you are not yet a member and wonder why you should be, read on…I hope to inspire you to greater heights!