- 02.18.2015IndyBar Update on SJR15: Measure Fails in Committee
Earlier today, Indianapolis Bar Association President John C. Trimble spoke before the Indiana Senate Judiciary Committee in opposition to Senate Joint Resolution 15 which would have altered the selection process for appellate and Supreme Court judges.
- 01.20.2015Marion Superior Court Announces Executive Committee
The four newly-elected members of the court's executive committee will serve in 2015 and 2016.
- 01.07.2015Marion Superior and Circuit Courts to Delay Opening Jan. 8
Due to continuing extreme low temperatures, Marion Superior and Circuit Courts will open at noon on Thursday, Jan. 8.
- 01.06.2015Marion Superior and Circuit Courts to Delay Opening Jan. 7
Due to anticipated extreme low temperatures, Marion Superior and Circuit Courts will open at noon on Wednesday, Jan. 7.
- 01.06.2015Kerry Hyatt Blomquist to be Honored as 2014 Antoinette Dakin Leach Award Recipient
Blomquist will be honored as the 2014 recipient of the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award at a luncheon in her honor on Thursday, January 15 at noon at the Skyline Club.
- 12.12.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Remains Optimistic About Justice Center Complex
The Indianapolis Bar Association expressed its continued optimism about the prospects of a new criminal justice center complex in light of today’s important announcement by City officials that a preferred bidder has been selected.
- 12.10.2014Retirement Celebration to be Held for Judge Louis Rosenberg
Marion County Circuit Court will host a celebration for Judge Louis Rosenberg's retirement on December 18, 2014 from noon to 2 p.m. See this post for more information.
- 12.01.2014Public Notice of Local Rule Amendments - Southern District of Indiana
The U.S. District Court released a public notice of the amendments to Local Rules for the Southern District of Indiana, which will take effect on January 1, 2015. See this post for more information.
- 11.13.2014Order Waives Fee for Motions for Protective Orders
The United States Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of Indiana released an order waiving the fee for motions for protective orders. See this post for details.
- 10.31.2014Public Notice of Proposed Local Rule Amendments - Southern District of Indiana
Information has been released concerning a proposed amendment to the Local Rules of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
- 10.30.2014IndyBar to Offer Labor and Employment Guidance for Local Small Businesses
For a small business owner, navigating labor and employment laws can be one of the most difficult and potentially costly parts about doing business. An upcoming program seeks to lessen this burden by providing employers with valuable tips and information.
- 10.28.20142015 Pro Bono Clerkship in Consumer Law Available
Heartland Pro Bono Council has a one-year, unpaid clerkship position available in consumer law. See this post for more information.
- 10.17.2014Notice of Proposed Local Rule Amendment
The Judge of the Marion Circuit Court has given notice of an amendment to local Court Rule LR49-SC00-703 Wedding Fees.
- 10.17.2014IndyBar Recognition Awards Honor Indy’s Leading Legal Professionals
Each year, the IndyBar takes time to honor and celebrate local leaders with innovative ideas at the IndyBar/IBF Recognition Luncheon. Join us on November 13 as we recognize individuals who make outstanding contributions to the legal community.
- 10.10.2014Julie Armstrong to Receive 2014 Indiana Women of Achievement Award
Ball State University has named Indianapolis Bar Association Executive Director Julie Armstrong a 2014 recipient of the Indiana Women of Achievement Award.
- 10.09.2014Statement of Indianapolis Bar Association Regarding Marion County Judicial System Decision
The Indianapolis Bar Association is reviewing Judge Young's decision holding unconstitutional Marion County's current system for selecting judges.
- 10.09.2014Free Face-to-Face Legal Advice Available in Indy on Tuesday, October 14
This one-day event will allow members of the public to meet face-to-face with volunteer lawyers at 13 locations throughout the city from 2 to 6 p.m.
- 09.26.2014DEADLINE EXTENDED: Go Green and Be Seen!
It's the third year for the Green Legal initiative. Take part and your firm will be featured on our list of green legal firms!
- 09.18.2014Help Us Honor Excellence: Nominations Now Open for IndyBar Recognition Awards
The Indianapolis legal community is fortunate to be home to many talented, dedicated professionals, and we need your help in identifying our colleagues who went above and beyond in 2014.
- 09.18.2014Supreme Court Annual Report: Nearly 1000 Cases Considered This Year
The Supreme Court annual report is now available. The report provides information about the work of the Court and its affiliated agencies.
- 09.10.2014Marion County Court Assignments Made for 2015
Marion County court assignments that will begin January 2015 have been announced.
- 09.09.2014CLE Commission Launches New Search Websites, Asks for Feedback
Legal professionals are being asked to try out two new CLE-search websites designed to improve functionality and ease of use.
- 09.09.2014Judge the Maurer Law Moot Court Competition
Attorneys are needed to serve as guest judges at IU Maurer Law's moot court competition on Oct. 15-18. The competition is Maurer's largest co-curricular and alumni event.
- 09.04.2014Ricafort to Lead Indianapolis Bar Association in 2017
The Indianapolis Bar Association’s Nominating Committee has announced their selections for the Board of Directors, naming Nissa Ricafort for president for 2017.
- 08.19.2014Marion Circuit Court Releases Order on Transferrence of Consumer Debt Cases
Marion County Small Claims Courts are ordered to transfer all consumer debt cases that were not filed in the defendant's residence or place of contract.
- 08.13.2014NEW: Search CLEs by Credit Type
A new search feature on the events calendar makes finding CLEs by credit type easier than ever.
- 08.13.2014Dickson, Kappes Recipients of 2014 Professionalism Awards
The IndyBar Professionalism Committee has named Justice Brent Dickson of the Indiana Supreme Court the 2014 recipient of the Silver Gavel Award, while Philip "Skip" Kappes of Lewis & Kappes has been awarded the bar's Professionalism Award.
- 08.06.2014Loretta Rush Selected As Indiana Chief Justice
Loretta Rush will take office as Indiana's Chief Justice at the end of August.
- 08.06.2014Bar Leader Series Class XII Announced
Attorneys selected to participate in the Bar Leader Series have been announced and will begin the program this month.
- 08.06.2014Former White House Counsel, Fred Fielding, will Headline 9/11 Event Benefiting Benjamin Harrison Pr
Indy will be host to former White House Counsel Fred F. Fielding on September 11. More details about the event and how to attend are available now.
- 08.05.2014New for 2014: Applicants to Receive Exam Bar Results Prior to Public Listing
The Indiana Board of Law Examiners has announced that while the list of successful applicants will be released to the public on Monday, September 15, applicants will be personally notified of their results via the online portal on Friday, September 12.
- 08.04.2014Make Your Voice Heard! IndyBar to Host Criminal Justice Complex Forum
Members are invited to provide input, feedback and suggestions on the new consolidated criminal justice complex to the city and HOK.
- 07.30.2014Lawyer Links Classic a Hole in One
Generous support and high attendance led to a successful golf tournament earlier this month, hosted by the Indianapolis Bar Foundation.
- 07.30.2014Nominations Now Open for 2015 IndyBar Board of Directors
Service on the IndyBar Board of Directors provides a valuable opportunity to play a crucial role in the success and future of your local bar association.
- 07.29.2014Upcoming Event: Lawyers to Business Networking Reception
Here's a chance to network with business and law professionals and the owner of Indy Eleven. Don't miss this great opportunity!
- 07.28.2014US Attorney Joseph H. Hogsett Joins Bose McKinney & Evans
On August 1, United States Attorney Joseph H. Hogsett will join the law firm as a partner.
- 07.17.2014Attorney Registration Fees Will Increase in August
Attorneys will see about a 25 percent increase in registration fees this fall.
- 07.16.2014Talking Points With the Top Paralegal
Get some tips straight from the top from our interview with the IndyBar's Paralegal of the Year, Jodie Bergeron.
- 07.15.2014Go Plus CLE and Get More!
By now you've heard about Plus CLE, but here's where you can find the 411 on all the benefits. Consider going Plus CLE for your 2015 section/division membership, or add Plus CLE on for 2014!
- 07.14.2014Marion Superior Court Seeks Court Administrator
Applications for the position will be accepted through July 26.
- 07.14.2014US Attorney Joseph H. Hogsett Announces Resignation
Hogsett's resignation was submitted on the morning of July 14 and will be effective July 31.
- 07.11.2014Moberly Appointed Chief Bankruptcy Judge
The Hon. Robyn L. Moberly of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana will replace Judge James K. Coachys on August 1. Judge Moberly currently serves as the Indianapolis Bar Association’s first vice president.
- 07.11.2014Attorney Volunteers Needed for IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project
Want to Make an Impact? The IndyBar Homeless Shelter Project is looking for attorney volunteers. Through this project, IndyBar volunteers visit four local homeless shelters each month, giving legal advice and occasionally offering limited representation.
- 07.11.2014Jodie L. Bergeron Named IndyBar Paralegal of the Year
The Indianapolis Bar Association is proud to recognize Jodie L. Bergeron of Cohen & Malad LLP as the association's Paralegal of the Year for 2014.
- 07.07.2014Beat the Heat: Resolve Legal Issues with Advice at a Cool Cost - FREE!
There's enough heat in July without adding the stress and cost of a legal issue. To keep your cool under the pressure of legal woes, check out Legal Line, a free call-in legal advice service.
- 07.02.2014Increase in Attorney Annual Registration Fees
The Indiana Supreme Court issued an order that increases annual registration fees for Indiana attorneys.
- 07.01.2014Honor the Best of the Best
Nominations are now open for the 2014 Silver Gavel and Professionalism Awards.
- 06.30.2014Commission on Judicial Qualifications Issues Advisory Opinion
The Indiana Commission on Judicial Qualifications issued an advisory opinion concerning the Code of Judicial Conduct in regards to content of campaign materials to protect the integrity, independence, and impartiality of the judiciary.
- 06.25.2014Notice of Proposed Rule Changes from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Written comments on the proposed rule changes should be sent by August 1, 2014.
- 06.16.2014Indy Legal Community to "Stock the Schools" for Teachers' Treasures
Spearheaded by the Indianapolis Bar Association Professionalism Committee, local law firms and agencies are encouraged to collect new and gently used school supplied to be donated to Teachers' Treasures, which connects teachers with free supplies.
- 06.13.2014IndyBar Diversity Job Fair Recognized with ABA Partnership Award
The IndyBar Diversity Job Fair is enjoying the national spotlight as a recipient of the 2014 Partnership Award from the American Bar Association (ABA).
- 06.13.2014Stock the Schools for Teachers' Treasures!
Step up and help support the educational needs of the children in our community by donating items from your office, your home, or the store to Teachers' Treasures for the second annual IndyBar Stock the Schools supply drive.
- 06.13.2014Nominate a Paralegal for IndyBar Paralegal of the Year
Assistance from qualified and competent paralegals is crucial to the success of many attorneys. This year, make sure to recognize the important paralegal in your life by submitting a Paralegal of the Year Award nomination.
- 06.13.2014Nominations Now Accepted for Antoinette Dakin Leach Award
To recognize the accomplishments of female attorneys in central Indiana, the IndyBar's Women & the Law Division presents the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award, an honor named for the first woman who gained admittance to the Indiana Bar.
- 06.09.2014Free Legal Advice Available June 10
Dealing with a legal issue can be stressful, intimidating, and above all, costly. This week Indy-area residents can take advantage of a free consultation with a friendly volunteer attorney to help resolve their legal problems.
- 05.28.2014Indianapolis Bar Foundation Awards $35,000 Impact Fund Grant to the Joseph Maley Foundation
The IBF announced today that the Joseph Maley Foundation has been named the 2014 Impact Fund Grant recipient. The grant will fund the foundation's Parent Education and Pro Bono Legal Assistance Program for students with individualized education plans.
- 05.22.2014Indiana Trial and Appellate Courts Launch Statewide E-Filing for Court Documents
The convenience and efficiency of electronic filing of court documents is on the horizon for Indiana’s trial and appellate courts. The Indiana Supreme Court is ending two centuries of paper filings with the decision to launch statewide e-filing.
- 05.13.2014Winner of Bar Leader Series Poster Competition Announced
A core aspect of the IndyBar Bar Leader Series is the development and execution of a community service team project by participants. The "Kids Team" worked to raise awareness of the Indiana Lifeline Law with a poster contest at Butler University.
- 05.07.2014Indianapolis Bar Foundation Awards Academic and Educational Scholarships
The Indianapolis Bar Foundation awarded six scholarships to both law students and to individuals preparing to take the Indiana Bar Exam in summer 2014.
- 05.02.2014Motivate, Inspire, Lead: Applications Now Accepted for Bar Leader Series Class XII
The Bar Leader Series is the IndyBar's leadership development program for young attorneys. This fast-track series empowers participants to make the most of their innate talents, while emphasizing the importance of service to the community.
- 05.02.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Shares Voter Education Tool for May Primary
An informed electorate is a cornerstone of democracy, and qualified judges are the foundation of a fair, impartial and constitutionally guaranteed system of courts of law known as the judiciary.
- 04.28.2014Shortridge High School to Host Naturalization Ceremony May 1
Students at Shortridge Magnet High School for Law & Public Policy will experience the final step to becoming an American citizen first-hand as the school hosts a naturalization ceremony for individuals seeking citizenship on Thursday, May 1 at 10 a.m.
- 04.23.2014Scholarships Available for Bench Bar Conference
Through the generosity of Bench Bar sponsors, 20 scholarships are available to attend the 2014 conference in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 04.21.2014IndyBar Member Honored with 2014 Heartland Pro Bono Award
Brent Taylor of Faegre Baker Daniels was honored with the 2014 Heartland Pro Bono Award in recognition of his many years of service with the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Homeless Project.
- 04.15.2014A Proposal to Allow Citations of All Indiana Appellate Opinions
Appellate Rule 65 currently prohibits lawyers from citing or relying on the nearly 75 percent of Indiana Court of Appeals’ opinions issued as memorandum (not-for-publication) decisions.
- 04.11.2014Indianapolis Bar Association Issues Statement Regarding Proposed Criminal Justice Center
The Indianapolis Bar Association voted April 9 to give encouraging yet conditional support to the Mayor’s recent proposal to construct a new criminal justice center complex.
- 03.21.2014Nominations Now Open for Law Student of the Year
Know a great IndyBar law student member? Nominate him or her for the IndyBar Law Student of the Year award!
- 03.14.2014Proposed Rule Amendments: March 2014
Notice of Proposed Rule Amendments by the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure for Public Comment
- 03.12.2014IndyBar Law Student Division Seeking Executive Board Members
The Indianapolis Bar Association is seeking additional members to sit on the 2014-2015 Law Student Division Executive Board. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be involved with the IndyBar Law Student Division.