Engage. Invest. And Get on Board.
The nominations for IndyBar’s 2015 Board of Directors are now open, and it’s up to you to help determine the future of your local bar association! We talked to next year’s president, John C. Trimble of Lewis Wagner LLP, to get a roadmap of what board members can expect from board participation in 2015.
Q: What can members who join the Board of Directors expect next year?
Trimble: New board members can expect a fun and fast-paced year in which all of us as board members focus on bringing maximum value to our members. This will begin with a getaway weekend in French Lick where we will talk about what we will need to do in 2015 to make our organization sizzle. Our direction in 2015 will be dictated by our strategic plan, and we will review that plan at our retreat.
Our “theme” for 2015 will be “engagement.” We will need to be engaged, and we will want to engage our members and engage attorneys who have not yet joined us.
Q: What are some of the best parts about being on the board?
Trimble: The best part of being on the board is getting to know really fine lawyers and judges from all areas of practice. You will make some friends and referral sources for life.
Q: What type of person should consider joining the board?
Trimble: Only reliable people should apply. The IndyBar leadership needs board members who will make a priority to attend meetings, events, and luncheons and bring others. We need people who will do what they commit to doing and who are willing to agree to commit to the work of engaging members.
Q: What are the expectations you have for board members next year?
Trimble: We expect board members to attend board meetings, events and luncheons and to encourage others to do so. We also expect them to support the Indianapolis Bar Foundation through a personal contribution and participation in IBF events. With respect to engagement, we hope and expect board members to recruit new members and help us retain existing members.
Applications for nominations can be found online here and will be accepted through Aug. 29. Following the nomination period, the 2015 Nominating Committee, chaired by Phil Isenbarger, will interview applicants before presenting the slate for 2015.
• Any IndyBar member can be nominated and self-nominations are accepted and encouraged.
• The 2015 Selection Committee is: Phil Isenbarger (Committee Chair), Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP; Hon. Cynthia J. Ayers, Marion Superior Court; Rebecca W. Geyer, Rebecca W. Geyer & Associates PC; Richard J. Thrapp, Ice Miller LLP; Robert W. York, Robert W. York & Associates
• The Board of Directors typically meets once a month throughout the year.
• Positions available in the coming year are: 1st Vice President, Secretary and At-Large Member (five openings for at-large members)
• The term for 1st Vice President is one year. The 1st Vice President will automatically assume the office of President-elect in 2016.
• The term for Secretary and At-Large Members is Jan. 1, 2015 through Dec. 31, 2016.
• Applications for nomination are available online here.
• IndyBar members wishing to seek election outside of the nomination process may file a petition ballot that is available at the bar office. The petition must be filed by Aug. 29 and must contain the signatures of at least 50 attorney members of IndyBar.