Young Lawyers Division
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 07.20.2015Getting to Know FORTE at Intro to Indy
The YLD’s second event of the 2015 Intro to Indy Series was held on Thursday, July 16 at The District Tap. Check out this post for a recap of the event and for information about FORTE.
- 07.09.2015YLD Member Discount for Jorgstock 2015
YLD members are invited to attend the Eiteljorg Museum’s Jorgstock this upcoming Saturday, July 11 from 5:30 to 11 p.m. at a discounted price. Click here for more information.
- 07.02.2015Meet the YLD: Justin Allen
Get to know the people who make up the YLD Executive Committee with this series! In this post, meet Justin Allen of Plews Shadley Racher & Braun LLP.
- 06.30.2015CASA Volunteer Special One-Day Training Session Offered to Attorneys
On Thursday, July 9, Child Advocates will host a one-day training class for attorneys to become a CASA volunteer from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 06.22.2015Summer Associates Have a Great Time at Annual Scavenger Hunt
On Friday, June 12, the YLD hosted the annual Summer Associate Scavenger Hunt. This year, there were 12 teams with a total of 52 participants. Click here for a recap and photos from the event.
- 06.09.2015Top Ten Tips for First and Second Year Associates
This post provides great tips on successfully marketing yourself during your first and second year as an associate. Check it out for ways that you can do just that with the IndyBar.
- 06.05.201510th Annual IndyVolved by IndyHub Coming Up!
The 10th annual IndyVolved by IndyHub will be held on Thursday, June 18 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Central Library (40 E. Saint Clair Street). Click here for more information.
- 06.03.2015Be a Friend with Best Buddies Indiana
Are you looking for a great opportunity to get involved in the community and change someone’s life forever? We encourage you to check out Best Buddies Indiana. Click here for more information.
- 06.01.2015Meet the YLD: Jenai M. Brackett
Get to know the people who make up the YLD Executive Committee with this series! In this post, meet Jenai M. Brackett of Frost Brown Todd LLC.
- 05.18.2015The X Factor for Success as an Attorney
Do you have the “X Factor” for success? Do you even know what the “X Factor” is? Find out the answer in this post - it may surprise you!
- 05.08.2015Meet the YLD: Matthew Neumann
Get to know the people who make up the YLD Executive Committee with this series! In this post, meet Matthew Neumann, the 2015 YLD Chair.
- 05.04.2015Young Lawyers Team Up to Help "Keep Indianapolis Beautiful"
Check out this post for a recap and photos of the recent Great Indy Cleanup on Saturday, April 25.
- 05.01.2015Spring APC a Great Success
On Thursday, April 23 the YLD held their annual Applied Professionalism Course. Check out this post for a recap of the event.
- 04.28.2015Summer Scavenger Hunt Registration Open!
Don't miss the annual summer associate scavenger hunt on Friday, June 12 from 1 to 6 p.m. Check out this post for more information.
- 04.17.2015Associate 101 Series: Strong Start and What's Next
Check out this post for a recap of the first CLE in the Associate 101 Series and a look at what's next.
- 04.15.2015Volunteer Spots Still Available for the Great Indy Cleanup
Sign up today to participate in the Great Indy Cleanup on Saturday, April 25 from 8:30 a.m. to noon. See this post for more details.
- 04.15.2015Don't Miss Spring APC on April 23!
The YLD's Applied Professionalism Course (APC) is April 23 and there will be a free social for APC attendees immediately following. Check out this post for more information.
- 04.09.2015New Lawyers - Take Note of Criticism
Check out this post for an article that claims new lawyers should seek out criticism in order to further their growth as attorneys.
- 04.01.2015Meet the YLD: Ronan Johnson
Get to know the people who make up the YLD Executive Committee with this series! In this post, meet Ronan Johnson, the 2015 YLD Past Chair.
- 03.24.2015March Madness Social a Success
The YLD's March Madness Kick-Off Social on Thursday, March 19 was a great time for all who attended. Check out this post for photos and a recap of the event.
- 03.13.2015Volunteer Callout for Great Indy Cleanup
YLD members are invited to join Mayor Ballard's Great Indy Cleanup on Saturday, April 25. There are 20 spots available, so check out this post for details about how to sign up and get involved.
- 03.13.2015March Madness Kick-Off Social is Coming Up
College basketball season is coming to a close and March Madness is upon us, which can only mean one thing: It's time for the YLD's Annual March Madness Kick-Off Social! Check out this post for details.
- 03.10.2015Pitfalls of Paying Off Law School Loans with Your Bonus
Graduating from law school can come with an incredible amount of debt. Check out this post for some pitfalls of using your bonus toward paying off those student loans.
- 02.26.2015Meet the YLD: Jennifer Tudor Wright
Get to know the people who make up the YLD Executive Committee with this series! In this post, meet Jennifer Tudor Wright, the 2015 YLD Social Committee co-chair.
- 02.26.2015Buying a Practice? Keep an Eye Out for This CLE
If you are considering changing careers, moving in house or into government work, or interested in buying a practice, you won't want to miss the Senior Counsel Division's upcoming CLE on this topic! Find out more in this post.
- 02.25.2015Take 10: The Associate 101 Series
Check out this post for 10 reasons why new attorneys need to attend the Associate 101 Series! Don't forget to register for the first session coming up on March 27.
- 02.11.2015Job Hunting Tips for Young Attorneys
Check out this post for advice on putting your best foot forward when you're on the hunt for a job.
- 02.09.2015New Resource Available: Indiana Law Review Blog
The Indiana Law Review at the IU McKinney School of Law recently launched its online blog. Check out this post for more information on the new resource for legal practitioners, judiciary members and law students.
- 02.02.2015Meet the YLD: Justin Sorrell
Get to know the people who make up the YLD Executive Committee with this new series! First up: Justin Sorrell, the 2015 YLD Education Committee co-chair.
- 01.22.2015Coming Up: Disaster Response and Preparedness Legal Training
Don't miss this opportunity for disaster legal services training at an upcoming program on Sunday, Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Check out this post for more information.
- 01.21.2015Five Qualities to Set Yourself Apart
Check out this post to learn about five qualities that can help you differentiate yourself in your career.
- 12.19.2014Don't Miss the Grand Finale of the Intro to Indy Series!
Mark your calendars now for the final event in the Intro to Indy Series on Thursday, Jan. 22 from 5:30 to 7 :30 p.m. at Ralston's.
- 12.16.2014The True Cost of a CLE: You Get What You Pay For
Check out this post by Alex Limontes for a look at the true value - and cost - of attending a CLE.
- 12.16.2014Six Practical Steps to Better Depositions
Litigators' primary in-person contact with the opposing party and their counsel is in the form of depositions. Check out this post for tips on how to make your depositions better.
- 12.05.2014YLD Holiday Party Wraps Up a Successful Year
Check out this post for a recap of the YLD Holiday Party and a preview of what's to come for the division's 2015 social calendar.
- 12.03.2014Don't Lose Would-Be Clients from a Call
Get advice about how to stay on top of client and would-be client communications so that you don't lose potential business from a phone call.
- 11.18.2014Pieces of Advice for a New Lawyer
Young lawyers get a lot of advice. What's one of the lessons that stands out most to Kate Erdel? Find out in this post and check out some other pieces of advice for new lawyers.
- 11.18.2014Intro to Indy Partner Organization's Community Leadership Project
Leadership Indianapolis, a partner of the YLD's Intro to Indy Series, is working on a community-wide assessment of leadership in 2014. They are asking for YLD members to fill out their survey by Friday, Nov. 21.
- 11.13.2014YLD Members Recognized at Annual Awards Luncheon
Several YLD members received awards and were recognized at the IndyBar and IBF Recognition Luncheon. Check out this post to find out who and congratulate them!
- 11.06.2014Using Worker's Comp in Your Defense: An Upcoming CLE
So you've been given an Indiana worker's compensation file...now what? If you're a civil litigator who has ever been in that situation, this CLE is for you! Check out this post for more information.
- 11.04.2014Using Social Media for Success: Tips and Pitfalls You Need to Know
You may be savvy when it comes to social media, but the platforms constantly evolve. Check out this post by Katherine Erdel for tips on using Facebook to become a better lawyer and important pitfalls to know.
- 11.03.2014Intro to Indy Upcoming Event - Lead the Way with Indy's Best!
The Young Lawyers Division will host the third event in the Intro to Indy Series with Leadership Indianapolis on Tuesday, Nov. 18 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- 10.23.2014Positions Available with IndyBar Young Lawyers Division
The Young Lawyers Division (YLD) of the Indianapolis Bar Association is in the process of selecting its Executive Committee and sub-committee members for 2015.
- 10.20.2014Getting Clients From the Get-Go
How can new attorneys get clients when they're being tasked with so much work as it is? In this post, Katherine Erdel shares an article that explains just that. There aren't shortcuts in this business, but this post has some great tips for getting started
- 10.15.2014Get Your APC with the YLD on Oct. 30!
If you're a new lawyer, you can't afford to miss out on the Applied Professionalism Course on Oct. 30! This program is a great deal at only $75 for six credits - and there's even a fun social afterward to celebrate. Check out this post for more informatio
- 09.30.2014Get on Board with Leadership Indianapolis
If you are interested in serving on a board, check out this event hosted by Leadership Indianapolis on Oct. 6. More than 100 organizations will be there. More details in this post.
- 09.30.2014Intro to Indy: Lead the Way with United Way
The Intro to Indy series continues with an evening with the United Way's Emerging Leaders Program on Oct. 15.
- 09.29.2014Volunteering Leads to Professional and Personal Gains
Nancy Scott Degan never set a goal to be chair of the ABA Litigation Section, but now she is. She can tell you why that's important in her recent article.
- 09.17.2014Lawyer as Translator: Bridging the Gap Between Client and Lawyer
Clients can't speak legalese. That's why they come to you. But what are you doing to help ease the stress that clients face in foreign territory?
- 09.16.2014What a New Associate Needs to Know
Check out this post for one attorney's compilation of 17 pieces of advice he would give to himself when he first began practicing law.
- 09.10.2014New Program Gives Attorneys an 'Intro to Indy'
Learn more about the new initiative that is bringing lawyers and some of Indy's most well known organizations together in this piece on YLD's Intro to Indy series.
- 09.08.2014Fall Social at Tomlinson Tap Room is Next Month!
Mark your calendars for Oct. 30 and join the YLD for fun and socializing at Tomlinson Tap Room.
- 09.02.2014ATTENTION: New Location for Intro to Indy on September 23
The Intro to Indy Series will kick off on Tuesday, September 23 at the Indianapolis Zoo Dolphin Adventure Gallery.
- 08.27.2014Congratulations Bar Leaders Series Class XII New Members!
The IBA recently announced the members of its latest class, XII to be exact, of the prestigous Bar Leaders Series. Congratulations Class XII!
- 08.21.2014New Study Reveals What Makes Lawyers Happy
When it comes to working in the law field, what are the factors that affect attorneys' happiness most? A recent study has the answer.
- 08.20.2014Beware: Top 5 Behaviors That Lead to a Bar Complaint
There are some common ways that many attorneys find themselves dealing with a bar complaint. Take notes so that you can avoid these five behaviors in your own practice.
- 08.18.2014Intro to Indy Event: Get to Know the Indianapolis Zoo Associate Council
Meet the people who support one of Indianapolis's greatest attractions - the Indianapolis Zoo - at the first Intro to Indy series event!
- 08.13.2014Straight from a Member: Common Mistakes of Young Lawyers
An IndyBar member shares 10 common mistakes of young lawyers and how you can avoid them.
- 08.12.2014End of Summer Slump? How to Pump Up Your Productivity
These tips on productivity won't make your to-do list any longer. In fact, it will tell you 10 things NOT to do to increase your productivity!
- 08.11.2014Sleep Deprived or Legally Drunk: For Your Brain, It's the Same
One study shows that sleep deprivation can have similar results in the human brain as alcohol.
- 08.07.2014Go to This CLE to Avoid Going to the Disciplinary Commission Someday
This program will introduce common, overlooked and surprising situations that can land you in front of the Disciplinary Commission.
- 08.07.2014Running Your First Case? Prep Like a Pro with this CLE!
Join this CLE for everything you need to know to successfully run your first case.
- 07.31.2014Networking Basics for Young Lawyers
Networking opportunities abound in the summer months, so it's time to brush up on your social savvy. This article offers tips for young attorneys to help them make a lasting impression.