Young Lawyers Division
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 12.19.2014Don't Miss the Grand Finale of the Intro to Indy Series!
Mark your calendars now for the final event in the Intro to Indy Series on Thursday, Jan. 22 from 5:30 to 7 :30 p.m. at Ralston's.
- 12.16.2014The True Cost of a CLE: You Get What You Pay For
Check out this post by Alex Limontes for a look at the true value - and cost - of attending a CLE.
- 12.16.2014Six Practical Steps to Better Depositions
Litigators' primary in-person contact with the opposing party and their counsel is in the form of depositions. Check out this post for tips on how to make your depositions better.
- 12.05.2014YLD Holiday Party Wraps Up a Successful Year
Check out this post for a recap of the YLD Holiday Party and a preview of what's to come for the division's 2015 social calendar.
- 12.03.2014Don't Lose Would-Be Clients from a Call
Get advice about how to stay on top of client and would-be client communications so that you don't lose potential business from a phone call.
- 11.18.2014Pieces of Advice for a New Lawyer
Young lawyers get a lot of advice. What's one of the lessons that stands out most to Kate Erdel? Find out in this post and check out some other pieces of advice for new lawyers.
- 11.18.2014Intro to Indy Partner Organization's Community Leadership Project
Leadership Indianapolis, a partner of the YLD's Intro to Indy Series, is working on a community-wide assessment of leadership in 2014. They are asking for YLD members to fill out their survey by Friday, Nov. 21.
- 11.13.2014YLD Members Recognized at Annual Awards Luncheon
Several YLD members received awards and were recognized at the IndyBar and IBF Recognition Luncheon. Check out this post to find out who and congratulate them!
- 11.06.2014Using Worker's Comp in Your Defense: An Upcoming CLE
So you've been given an Indiana worker's compensation file...now what? If you're a civil litigator who has ever been in that situation, this CLE is for you! Check out this post for more information.
- 11.04.2014Using Social Media for Success: Tips and Pitfalls You Need to Know
You may be savvy when it comes to social media, but the platforms constantly evolve. Check out this post by Katherine Erdel for tips on using Facebook to become a better lawyer and important pitfalls to know.
- 11.03.2014Intro to Indy Upcoming Event - Lead the Way with Indy's Best!
The Young Lawyers Division will host the third event in the Intro to Indy Series with Leadership Indianapolis on Tuesday, Nov. 18 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- 10.23.2014Positions Available with IndyBar Young Lawyers Division
The Young Lawyers Division (YLD) of the Indianapolis Bar Association is in the process of selecting its Executive Committee and sub-committee members for 2015.
- 10.20.2014Getting Clients From the Get-Go
How can new attorneys get clients when they're being tasked with so much work as it is? In this post, Katherine Erdel shares an article that explains just that. There aren't shortcuts in this business, but this post has some great tips for getting started
- 10.15.2014Get Your APC with the YLD on Oct. 30!
If you're a new lawyer, you can't afford to miss out on the Applied Professionalism Course on Oct. 30! This program is a great deal at only $75 for six credits - and there's even a fun social afterward to celebrate. Check out this post for more informatio
- 09.30.2014Get on Board with Leadership Indianapolis
If you are interested in serving on a board, check out this event hosted by Leadership Indianapolis on Oct. 6. More than 100 organizations will be there. More details in this post.
- 09.30.2014Intro to Indy: Lead the Way with United Way
The Intro to Indy series continues with an evening with the United Way's Emerging Leaders Program on Oct. 15.
- 09.29.2014Volunteering Leads to Professional and Personal Gains
Nancy Scott Degan never set a goal to be chair of the ABA Litigation Section, but now she is. She can tell you why that's important in her recent article.
- 09.17.2014Lawyer as Translator: Bridging the Gap Between Client and Lawyer
Clients can't speak legalese. That's why they come to you. But what are you doing to help ease the stress that clients face in foreign territory?
- 09.16.2014What a New Associate Needs to Know
Check out this post for one attorney's compilation of 17 pieces of advice he would give to himself when he first began practicing law.
- 09.10.2014New Program Gives Attorneys an 'Intro to Indy'
Learn more about the new initiative that is bringing lawyers and some of Indy's most well known organizations together in this piece on YLD's Intro to Indy series.
- 09.08.2014Fall Social at Tomlinson Tap Room is Next Month!
Mark your calendars for Oct. 30 and join the YLD for fun and socializing at Tomlinson Tap Room.
- 09.02.2014ATTENTION: New Location for Intro to Indy on September 23
The Intro to Indy Series will kick off on Tuesday, September 23 at the Indianapolis Zoo Dolphin Adventure Gallery.
- 08.27.2014Congratulations Bar Leaders Series Class XII New Members!
The IBA recently announced the members of its latest class, XII to be exact, of the prestigous Bar Leaders Series. Congratulations Class XII!
- 08.21.2014New Study Reveals What Makes Lawyers Happy
When it comes to working in the law field, what are the factors that affect attorneys' happiness most? A recent study has the answer.
- 08.20.2014Beware: Top 5 Behaviors That Lead to a Bar Complaint
There are some common ways that many attorneys find themselves dealing with a bar complaint. Take notes so that you can avoid these five behaviors in your own practice.
- 08.18.2014Intro to Indy Event: Get to Know the Indianapolis Zoo Associate Council
Meet the people who support one of Indianapolis's greatest attractions - the Indianapolis Zoo - at the first Intro to Indy series event!
- 08.13.2014Straight from a Member: Common Mistakes of Young Lawyers
An IndyBar member shares 10 common mistakes of young lawyers and how you can avoid them.
- 08.12.2014End of Summer Slump? How to Pump Up Your Productivity
These tips on productivity won't make your to-do list any longer. In fact, it will tell you 10 things NOT to do to increase your productivity!
- 08.11.2014Sleep Deprived or Legally Drunk: For Your Brain, It's the Same
One study shows that sleep deprivation can have similar results in the human brain as alcohol.
- 08.07.2014Go to This CLE to Avoid Going to the Disciplinary Commission Someday
This program will introduce common, overlooked and surprising situations that can land you in front of the Disciplinary Commission.
- 08.07.2014Running Your First Case? Prep Like a Pro with this CLE!
Join this CLE for everything you need to know to successfully run your first case.
- 07.31.2014Networking Basics for Young Lawyers
Networking opportunities abound in the summer months, so it's time to brush up on your social savvy. This article offers tips for young attorneys to help them make a lasting impression.
- 07.24.2014Cornhole Tournament Scheduled for August 14th
Join the YLD for its annual cornhole tournament on August 14th at Flat12 Bierwerks!
- 07.24.2014In Case You Missed It: YLD's 8th Annual Summer Associate Scavenger Hunt a Big Hit
This year's Summer Associate Scavenger Hunt, held on July 11th, was a success!
- 07.16.2014Join Us for Coffee at IU McKinney
Chances are, you're going to have coffee on August 19 anyway. You might as well make it a free one at IU McKinney.
- 07.14.2014The Latest Apps for Lawyers
Here's a break down of the best apps to help attorneys improve their productivity on the go and in the office.
- 07.14.2014Summer Associates Scour the City at the Annual Scavenger Hunt
Check out photos from the Scavenger Hunt!
- 07.08.2014Today and Three Years Ago
Jokes can be harmless, but ESPN might have to pay $10 million dollars for theirs. Read about this current case and a nationally heart-wrenching case from three years ago.
- 07.07.2014Mentor and Mentee - Both Sides Can Benefit
Mentors are a great resource for law students. Read why one experienced attorney says mentoring was key in his development as a lawyer.
- 06.26.2014Social Media Tips for Lawyers and Firms
Find out how to enhance your law practice and improve client engagement with these social media tips.
- 06.16.2014YLD and Solo/Small Firm Section Social Event on June 24th
Join the YLD and Solo/Small Firm Section for a happy hour at the Winner's Circle!
- 06.13.2014In Case You Missed It: "The Vulnerable Ones" CLE a success!
The YLD's recent CLE on "The Vulnerable Ones: What Young Lawyers Need to Know About Protective Orders, Guardianships, and Incompetent Clients" a niche success!
- 06.05.2014In Case You Missed It: YLD Annual Indians Game a Success!
The YLD's annual Indians Game event was a success! Good game, well-attended and THANK YOU to our sponsor, Navigant!
- 06.05.2014June 11 CLE Opportunity - "The Vulnerable Ones"
Join the YLD on June 11 from 12:30 to 1:30 for an interesting and informative CLE on serving vulnerable clients!
- 05.19.2014Insights from the YLD...Looking for a job?
"What Do Firms Look for When Hiring New Lawyers?" Haven't each of us wondered this at some point during our legal education or career?
- 05.19.2014"Make it Rain" Event a Success!
YLD's recent CLE was well-attended and informative!
- 05.15.2014Young Lawyers Make Their Mark in Fountain Square
The Young Lawyers Division (YLD) Go Green Committee once again pitched in to help beautify Indianapolis at the annual "Great Indy Cleanup" event held on April 26 by Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.
- 05.12.2014Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Join the YLD for an Indians game on Thursday, May 29th at 6pm in The Cove at Victory Field!
- 05.12.2014Spring APC a Success! Registration Open Early for Fall APC
The Spring APC, hosted by the YLD, was a sold-out success! Next opportunity scheduled for October 30th!
- 05.11.2014Congratulations to YLD Social Chair Alex Limontes - Up and Coming Lawyer!
Please join the YLD Executive Board in congratulating Alex Limontes on his recongition as an Up and Coming Lawyer!
- 05.07.2014Make it Rain - CLE Opportunity!
Join the YLD for a brown bag lunch seminar on May 16th, noon-1, and walk away with a better understanding of transitioning from associate to partner in a law firm.
- 05.07.2014Round Up Your Summer Associates! Circle City Scavenger Hunt on July 11th!
Once again, the YLD will host its popular scavenger hunt for summer associates and interns. Save the date, pass the information along, or register your teams today!
- 04.24.2014Go Green Event on Saturday, April 26th in Fountain Square
Get your green on with the YLD's Go Green Committee and Keep Indianapolis Beautiful in honor of Earth Day on Saturday, April 26th in the Fountain Square neighborhood!
- 04.11.2014It's Not Too Late! Spring APC Right Around the Corner
The next Applied Professionalism Course is scheduled for Thursday, April 24th from 8:30-5. Hosted by the YLD, this event provides 6 hours of CLE credit and fulfills the new lawyer professionalism requirement.
- 04.09.2014In Case You Missed It - March Madness Happy Hour a Great Time
25 YLD members kick-started March Madness with a happy hour at 1001 in Broad Ripple on March 21st. Here's what you missed...
- 03.23.2014Go Green Volunteer Opportunity
The IndyBar Go Green Committee is again teaming up with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful for their April Great Indy Cleanup and encourages anyone interested (IndyBar member or not) to volunteer for this free event!
- 03.18.2014March Madness Happy Hour!
Join your YLD friends this Friday, March 21st at 10-01 in Broad Ripple for a happy hour and the first round of the NCAA tournament!
- 03.14.2014"He Did WHAT?" CLE a Success
Thanks to Danielle Tucker for her March 13, 2014 CLE presentation on using criminal background checks in the employment context! Join us for our next YLD-sponsored CLE on June 11th. More information to follow.
- 03.04.2014"He did WHAT?" - Interesting CLE Opportunity
Don't wait until December to think about your CLE requirements and be stuck attending presentations that you aren't interested in. Check out the YLD's offerings now!
- 02.19.2014Save the Date - Spring Applied Professionalism Course
IndyBar's Applied Professionalism Course (APC) sponsored by the YLD is set for April 24th. Save the date and register today!
- 02.14.2014YLD CLE Opportunity - March 13, 2014
The YLD is sponsoring "He did WHAT?": What Every Employer Needs to Know About Using Criminal Background Checks on Thursday, March 13th from noon to 1 p.m.
- 01.22.2014Meet Your 2014 YLD Executive Committee
The Young Lawyers Division Executive Committee works to represent the YLD to the IndyBar Board, provides social and educational opportunities for our members, and makes our legal community a great place to work.