Women and the Law Division
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 11.30.20152015 WLD Events and Initiatives Recap
The WLD 2015 activities reflect our mission to create opportunities to build connections among women in the legal profession, engage in philanthropic endeavors and recognize outstanding female attorneys.
- 11.30.2015Time to Get Suited Up! Donate Clothes for a Good Cause
The IndyBar is holding a clothing drive through January 15 to benefit low income college-bound high school students. Learn more here.
- 11.16.2015Three Leadership Lessons for Justice
How can you make a difference? Get three pieces of practical advice in this article.
- 11.16.2015Canada's New Cabinet is Half Women for First Time in History
On November 4, Canada's new Prime Minister Justin Trudeau swore in his cabinet. The cabinet comprises 15 men and 15 women.
- 11.12.2015Two Coffee Meetups Remaining This Year
There's still time to start your day off with WLD members and a warm cup of coffee. See this post for more information about these free networking opportunities!
- 10.27.2015Positions Available on 2016 Women and the Law Executive Committee
The Women and the Law Division is currently accepting applications for the 2016 executive committee. Applications are due by Tuesday, November 3.
- 10.21.2015IndyBar Notes the Passing of Sue Shadley
The Indianapolis Bar Association is saddened to note the passing of member and trailblazer Sue Shadley.
- 10.21.2015WLD Helps 20 Women at Dress for Success Lunch and Learn
On Tuesday, October 20, members from the Women and the Law Division participated in Dress for Success Lunch and Learn.
- 10.20.2015WLD Goes to Bloomington for Brunch with Law Students
The IndyBar Women & the Law Division co-hosted a brunch networking event with law students from both IU Maurer and IU McKinney on Sunday, October 18 in Bloomington. Check out this post for a recap of the event.
- 10.05.2015The Power of Women Giving as One
Women and the Law Division members are invited to the Impact 100 event on Wednesday, October 7, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Rock Steady Boxing. Learn more here.
- 09.23.2015IndyBar Goes to Bloomington
The WLD is teaming up with female law students for a special networking event in Bloomington on Sunday, October 18. Check out this post for more information.
- 09.16.2015Dream Dinners Makes a Difference for Families in Need
On Saturday, September 12 and Tuesday, September 15, 18 volunteers from the Women & the Law Division made meals for families in need at Dream Dinners. Click here for a recap and photos from the events.
- 09.15.2015Volunteers Needed for Dress for Success
Volunteers are needed to help out Dress for Success on Wednesday, October 21. Click here for more information.
- 09.09.2015Shadley Named 2015 Antoinette Dakin Leach Recipient
Sue Shadley of Plews Shadley Racher & Braun is the 2015 recipient of the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award.
- 09.04.2015A Dream Come True is Only a Dinner Away...
WLD members are invited to make a big difference in someone’s life by making a meal at Dream Dinners on Saturday, September 12 at 11:30 a.m. and on Tuesday, September 15 at 5:30 p.m. Read more here.
- 08.24.2015Making the Most of Stressful Times
Check out this post for a new approach to handling the stress of practicing law.
- 08.10.2015Waiting on Change in Workplace Equality
Check out this post for an article on equality in the legal profession and one Millennial's reaction to it.
- 08.04.2015Women Take the Lead in Law Firms
A 2014 study of women who practice law shows that they are on the rise. Check out this post for more information.
- 07.31.2015Women2Women Conversations Tour Comes to Indy
Main Street Partnership is doing a Women2Women Conversations Tour stop in Indianapolis on Monday, October 19 and has invited IndyBar members to attend. See this post for more information.
- 07.24.2015Don't Miss the Music of the Beatles at Conner Prairie
On Saturday, August 8, the WLD will gather at Conner Prairie to listen to music of the Beatles. Don't miss it!
- 07.13.2015Motivation Monday: 18 Quotes for Women in Law
Check out this post for 18 quotes that will inspire you regardless of the area of law in which you practice.
- 06.29.20152014 Data Released for Women and Minorities in Law Firms
The National Association for Lap Placement Inc. recently released 2014 data for women and minorities and law firms. Find out more here.
- 06.23.2015Nominations Now Accepted for Antoinette Dakin Leach Award
To recognize the accomplishments of female attorneys in central Indiana, the IndyBar’s Women & the Law Division presents the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award, an honor named for the first woman who gained admittance to the Indiana Bar.
- 06.15.2015Five Career Insights for Professionals
Check out this post for five career insights from 81-year old former Vermont governor Madeline Kunin.
- 06.15.2015Don't Miss the NAWL Annual Meeting & Awards Luncheon!
The Women and the Law Division is pleased to be a co-sponsor of the National Association of Women Lawyers’ Annual Meeting & Awards Luncheon on July 16 in New York City. Click here for a special registration discount.
- 06.11.2015Thank You to the Speaker and Sponsors of the Annual Summer Reception
The Women and the Law Division would like to thank all those who helped make this year's Annual Summer Reception on Wednesday, June 10 another great success. Read more here.
- 06.09.2015Strike a Work-Life Balance This Summer with WLD Socials
A new survey found that managing work and life responsibilities are getting more difficult for a third of workers, particularly millennials and parents. Check out this post for advice on how to strike a better balance this summer.
- 05.26.2015Meet Thea Kelly, 2015 Summer Reception Special Guest
We are looking forward to another fantastic WLD Summer Reception at the Indiana Historical Society on June 10th. We are delighted that Thea Kelly, Senior Counsel for Dow AgroSciences, is this year’s speaker.
- 05.20.2015Women in International Law Mentoring Program Callout
The American Society of International Law and its Women in International Law Interest Group are currently seeking mentors and mentees for its third Women in International Law Mentoring Program. See this post for details.
- 05.18.2015Harvard Study: Wage Gap Worsens Over Last 30 Years
A recent Harvard Law School study shows that the wage gap among men and women attorneys has actually worsened over the last three decades. See this post for more information.
- 05.05.2015Getting to Know the 2015 WLD Executive Committee
Get to know more about the 2015 WLD Executive Committee by reading the members' biographies in this post.
- 05.04.2015Flexibility Provided by Firm's Model Allows Two Women to "Have It All"
Two women opened up their own law firm and seem to have found a way to "have it all". Find out more in this post.
- 04.29.2015CLEs and Socials Coming Up Soon
Check out this post for some important dates for WLD events this spring and summer.
- 04.06.2015Men and Women Differ When Buying Legal Services
A recent survey found that male and female in-house counsel cited different factors for what influenced their decision to increase spending with law firms. Check out this post for more details.
- 03.30.2015Two Division Members Elected to Partnership
The Women and the Law Division would like to congratulate Margaret (Meg) Christensen and Briana Clark for their election to partnership at Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP.
- 03.30.2015WLD Mentoring Program Off to a Strong Start
Check out this post for an update on the WLD's 4th consecutive Mentoring Program, including photos from the Kickoff Luncheon on February 26.
- 03.18.2015More Women Going Solo
Check out this post for one solo practitioner's perspective on why more women are leaving larger firms to open up their own practices.
- 03.11.2015Coffee Hour Coming Up: April 1
Members of the Criminal Justice Section are invited to a coffee hour with students at the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, April 1. See this post for more details.
- 03.11.2015Mentors for the Many Stages of Your Career and Life
There are many types of mentors you may have (and need) over the course of your career. Find out more about the topic in this post and be sure to check out the WLD's mentoring program!
- 03.09.2015Coffee Chat with Chief Justice Rush on March 10
The Marion County Bar Association will host a coffee chat with Chief Justice Loretta Rush on Tuesday, March 10 at 8:15 a.m. Next week, Chief Justice Rush will speak at the IndyBar's Lawyer to Business reception on Wednesday, March 18.
- 02.18.2015Sheryl Sandberg, Adam Grant: Why Women Stay Quiet at Work
Check out this post for an interesting article about the tendency of women to stay quiet in the workplace and how that can affect their job outlook.
- 01.29.2015How a Supreme Court Justice Influenced a Stay-at-Home Dad
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's former clerk explains how she influenced the decisions he makes as a stay-at-home dad.
- 01.13.2015Nominations Now Open for 2015 Inspire Awards
College Mentors for Kids is now accepting nominations for the 2015 Inspire Awards, an annual event that honors mentors in the workplace and community. Nominations close on February 1.
- 01.12.2015This Day in History: First Woman Elected to U.S. Senate
On January 12, 1932, Arkansas elected Hattie W. Caraway as U.S. Senator, making her the first woman to hold a seat in the Senate.
- 12.17.2014Women at Work: What Men Need to Know
This piece by Lucy Dollens discusses a recent article in The Wall Street Journal that talks about why it is important for male managers to be aware of the effect women leadership has in the workplace.
- 12.16.2014Make 2015 a Game Changer
Check out this post for tips on how to make the new year successful for your practice.
- 12.10.2014Gift Giving Guide for Clients and Colleagues
In this article, Anna Kirkman offers suggestions on what you should consider before giving gifts to clients and colleagues this holiday season.