Women and the Law Division
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 12.17.2014Women at Work: What Men Need to Know
This piece by Lucy Dollens discusses a recent article in The Wall Street Journal that talks about why it is important for male managers to be aware of the effect women leadership has in the workplace.
- 12.16.2014Make 2015 a Game Changer
Check out this post for tips on how to make the new year successful for your practice.
- 12.10.2014Gift Giving Guide for Clients and Colleagues
In this article, Anna Kirkman offers suggestions on what you should consider before giving gifts to clients and colleagues this holiday season.
- 11.20.2014Female Solo Practitioners and the Feeling of Accomplishment
An article from Solo Practice University asks, "At what point can a woman feel accomplished?" Check out this article for more.
- 11.20.2014Lingo to Lose in 2015: TIME Puts "Feminism" on List
Among "bae" and "obvi", readers were surprised to find "feminism" as an option on TIME's poll for words to ban in 2015. Read more about the debate in this post.
- 11.14.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women and the Law Division! Minutes from the October WLD Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 11.12.2014Volunteers Needed to Help Host Coburn Place Holiday Party
The WLD is hosting a party for the children at Coburn Place on Saturday, December 13 from 10 a.m. to noon. Check out this post for details and consider volunteering to help out!
- 11.10.2014What it Takes to Be on the WLD Executive Committee: An Interview for Interested Applicants
There are positions available on the 2015 WLD Executive Committee. Check out this interview with current committee member Lucy Dollens for the inside scoop and for application details.
- 11.10.2014Men and Women and Their Decision-Making Differences
A study was done that shows how men and women respond to stress differently when it comes to making decisions. Check out this post by Jaclyn S. Gessner to find out more.
- 11.06.2014A Night for Lawyers and Louboutins: Defending Your Sole Indianapolis
On Tuesday, Nov. 18 from 6 to 9 p.m., Defending Your Sole will make its stop in Indy. IndyBar members are invited to come try on dozens of Louboutins at the event. Check out this post for more details.
- 11.05.2014Public Notice for Appointment of Chapter 13 Standing Trustee
The United States Trustee seeks resumes from persons wishing to be considered for appointment as a standing trustee to administer cases filed under chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. See this post for details.
- 11.03.2014Positions Available on the WLD Executive Committee in 2015
The Women and the Law Division has openings available on the 2015 Executive Committee. See this post for more information.
- 10.23.2014Is a Stock Photo Worth a Thousand Words?
Getty Images has partnered with LeanIn.org to create a collection of empowering stock images of women and girls. Read more about the effort in this post.
- 10.17.2014The Latest in Land Value Litigation and More at This CLE!
Join the WLD for "How to Prepare a Land Valuation Expert Witness for Testimony", a CLE on Oct. 29 that will cover hot topics and updates in land valuation litigation and more.
- 10.14.2014Family Time and Fast-Tracking Careers: How Female Lawyers Make it Work
Women in law often make choices to focus on family life or fast-tracking their careers. Find out some of the ways this is being done and how it answers the question "Are working women still disadvantaged?" in this post.
- 10.14.2014Suit Up: Traditional Suits Still on Trend for Attorneys
Which attire is most popular when it comes to the courtroom? Nothing trendy - stick with traditional. Check out this post for more.
- 10.14.2014Building Influence with Behavior and Attitude
Check out this post to learn how confidently entering a room can help you build influence in your practice and learn the first steps toward doing so.
- 09.30.2014Workout Like Ruth
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg may be an 81-year old cancer survivor, but she still works out like the Canadian Air Force. Read more about her healthy exercise regimen in this post.
- 09.29.2014Ruth Bader Ginsburg Talks About Retirement
In an interview with Elle magazine, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg comments on when we can expect her to retire.
- 09.29.2014Law Professor's Clinic Targets Revenge Porn and Patent Trolls
Law students at a recent legal hack-athon created a website that could be a one-stop-shop to end revenge porn.
- 09.29.2014How to Be a Cathedral Builder, Not a Worker Bee
Find out how to make sure that you keep the big picture in mind when practicing law so that you are successful in serving clients.
- 09.29.2014Watson Launches "HeForShe" Campaign
Emma Watson launched the HeForShe Campaign when she spoke at the UN on September 20. This campaign calls for men to become advocates for gender equality.
- 09.22.2014Gender Pay Gap Narrows in Census Bureau's Most Recent Report
A recent Census Bureau report shows that the pay gap between men and women narrowed last year to the smallest gap since 1960.
- 09.19.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the August WLD Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 09.19.2014WLD Volunteers: Making Meals and Making a Difference
Dozens of WLD volunteers prepared meals for The Julian Center and Eskenazi EMBRACE Program's families on September 6 and September 9. Check out the recap from Roxana Bell!
- 09.17.2014Working Women: What Makes You Lose Sleep at Night?
A new Forbes eBook asked women that question, and this article discusses the answers and ways that professionals across the country cope with the challenges of a busy work life.
- 09.12.2014Women in Law: An Infographic
This infographic breaks down issues that women in law face, including the gender gap, current climate in the workplace and more.
- 09.09.2014Gender Diversity in the Legal Industry
Melanne Verveer offers her thoughts on women's advancement in the legal industry and which factors could play an important role in the process.
- 09.03.2014Mark Your Calendar: How to Prepare a Land Valuation Expert Witness for Testimony
Join the WLD for this CLE on October 29 for information on expert witnesses.
- 08.26.2014Women's Equality Day: Right to Vote Turns 94 Years Old
On this day in 1920, the 19th Amendment was proclaimed as part of the Constitution of the United States, giving women the right to vote.
- 08.26.2014Upcoming CLE with Ethics Credit: How to Fire Your Client
How do you let a client go, and how do you ethically recover fees from ex-clients? This CLE has all the answers.
- 08.20.2014Women Attorneys Discuss Working in Patent Litigation
A recently published roundtable discussion features input from several seasoned female attorneys who work in the predominately male arena of patent litigation.
- 08.14.2014Volunteers Needed: Lend a Hand and Make a Meal with the WLD
Two opportunities are coming up for members to volunteer and prepare meals for The Julian Center and Eskenazi's Embrace Program.
- 08.12.2014A Rose by Any Other Name...Would Not be a Judge
How much power does a name hold? One study shows that for female lawyers, it can make a big difference.
- 08.11.2014Upcoming CLE: What You Need to Know About Litigating TROs
Litigating TROs and preliminary injunctions are the focus of a CLE coming up on September 16.
- 08.11.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the WLD June Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 08.11.2014Relationships Matter for Women in Law
The gender gap continues to exist in the law profession, but building better relationships could help women narrow the margin.
- 08.07.2014Faegre Baker Daniels, Ice Miller Named Among Top Law Firms for Women
Working Mother and Flex-time Lawyers released their 50 Best Law Firms for Women list for 2014.
- 08.01.2014Notre Dame Could be the Next Hobby Lobby
Two graduate students at the University of Notre Dame need birth control, but the one who gets her health care through the university is barred from obtaining a prescription for it.
- 07.31.2014Former CNN Anchor Discusses the Prices of Success
Award-winning journalist Bernard Shaw was a CNN news anchor for more than 20 years. He reflects on his career, mentors and how he knew it was time to leave the anchor desk.
- 07.30.2014You're Invited: Free Symposium by Women Like Us
Come check out this free event, where a panel of professional leaders will discuss important issues that women face today.
- 07.28.2014When Justice Ginsburg is on the Wedding Guest List
One bride invited a Supreme Court justice to her wedding. While 50+ people didn't respond, Justice Ginsburg did.
- 07.24.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the WLD May Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 07.22.2014Use Body Language to Boost Business
Oral arguments are something lawyers must master, but don't forget to take visual cues into account for overall effective communication.
- 07.17.2014Overtime Compensation: A New Explanation for the Wage Gap
Men are more likely to work extra hours, so much so that it could account for the persistence of the wage gap over the last 30 years.
- 07.16.2014“Lean In” or “Recline”: How Should Women Reach the Top?
Join the Bingham Greenebaum Doll Women's Forum for a free panel discussion about the contradictory advice given to professional women.
- 07.14.2014One Firm's Solution to Help Work-Life Balance for Attorneys
One firm is implementing changes to facilitate better work-life balance for its employees. But will it really help?
- 07.10.2014Legal Line Volunteers Aid 72 People
Volunteers from the Women & the Law Division helped 72 people with legal issues on Tuesday.
- 07.08.2014Dean of Harvard Law School Discusses Gender's Role in Her Career
Dean Martha Minow of the Harvard Law School talks about finding her way as a woman in a field inundated with men.
- 07.02.2014ABA Legal Technology Resource Center Launches Free Guide
The ABA's Legal Technology Resource Center has launched its free online Legal Technology Buyers' Guide.
- 07.01.2014Judge Retires Early - Cites Uneven Playing Field
A judge on Delaware's top court says she is retiring early because she "wasn't taken seriously" when applying for the position of chief justice.
- 06.30.2014Today and 20 Years Ago
Read which court cases are being decided today that could affect your practice, and check out an interesting case that happened today in history.
- 06.26.2014Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Holds Roundtable
The discussion, which took place on May 20, 2014, centered around the economic security of working women.
- 06.24.2014Work Life Balance: More than a Women's Issue
Despite assumptions to the contrary, issues of work life balance seem to affect a nearly equal percentage of men and women according to a Pew Research Center Study.
- 06.17.2014Join the National Association of Women Lawyers for the 2014 Annual Meeting & Awards Luncheon
The Indianapolis Bar Association Women and the Law Division has joined as a co-sponsor! WLD members receive a 10% discount on registration.
- 06.01.2014Barbara Walters Career Highlights
This brief story discusses some of the interesting aspects of the career of Barbara Walters and what it was like to break into a field generally dominated by men at the time.
- 05.29.2014If I Knew Then What I Know Now
This advice from powerful women to their 22-year-old-selves might be the key to your next round of success.
- 05.19.2014April Women & the Law Division Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the April 2014 WLD Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 05.15.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from monthly executive committee meetings are available in the "Division Resources" area of the WLD webpage.
- 04.23.2014Is there a confidence gap between men and women?
A recent article by Katty Kay, Anchor of BBC World News America, and Claire Shipman, Reporter for ABC News, dated April 14, 2014, explores evidence showing that women lack the confidence whereas men are more self-assured.
- 04.21.2014Discount Available for National Association of Women Lawyers Program
The Women and Law Division is proud to sponsor the National Association of Women Lawyers' upcoming program, The Pipeline to Equity Partnership (P2P): The Skills, Strategies, and Stumbling Blocks Women Lawyers Encounter on Their Path to Reach Equity Status
- 04.17.2014Does the Media Promote a Double Standard for Women?
According to Hillary Clinton in a recent article published at ABCNews.com, yes.
- 04.01.2014Women Flexing Their Economic Muscle
Business Wire reports that women are choosing the path of entrepreneurship at record rates. Nearly 1300 women-owned businesses are started each day, which is double the rate from only three years ago.
- 04.01.2014Ms. JD Seeks Executive Director
As the U.S.'s premier organization for early career lawyers and aspiring female lawyers, Ms. JD brings legal practitioners, law students, and aspiring lawyers together to drive the critical national conversation about gender issues in the legal sector.
- 03.28.2014Slate Reports on Judicial Expectations for Female Attorneys
A recent Slate article points out the confusing, and sometimes contradictory, judicial expectations and standards of dress for female attorneys.
- 03.25.2014Meet the 2014 IndyBar Women & the Law Division Executive Committee
Lead by chair Tina Clark, the committee represents a diverse array of backgrounds and practice areas.
- 03.20.2014WLD Members Invited to Coffee at McKinney
Members of the IndyBar Women & the Law Division are invited to a coffee hour at Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, April 1, 2014.
- 03.18.2014National Association of Women Lawyers Seeks Executive Director
The National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL) is seeking an energetic, experienced Executive Director to serve in its Chicago headquarters.
- 03.17.2014Above the Law Reports on New Wage Study
Above the Law reports on a recent study by the National Association of Women Lawyers on women's wages in BigLaw.
- 03.16.2014Time's Report on 16 Women Leaders Once Called "Bossy"
Sheryl Sandberg has launched a campaign to "Ban Bossy" - to change a culture where men are bosses but women are "bossy." Read here about 16 successful women who have overcome a charge of bossiness.
- 03.02.2014Pacer at your Fingertips
iPhone J.D. reviews DkT, the iPhone and iPad app that it has deemed the best for accessing PACER on the go.
- 03.02.2014Review of Five Standing Desks
Thinking about trying out a standing desk? Lifehacker reviews the five best.
- 03.02.2014Learning to say No
From Lifehacker, the website that knows how to make everything better--advice on when and how to say no for those occasions where you might need to do so.
- 03.02.2014New Above the Law column features two-woman firm
Columnist Christina Gagnier from Above the Law offers insights gained as she and another female colleague manage their own boutique law firm.
- 03.02.2014One law professor's perspective on Leaning In
Georgetown University law professor Rosa Brooks describes her personal reaction to "Lean In" and her thoughts about achieving gender equality in the workplace and the home.
- 02.21.2014Two women to join IURC
Marcia Oddi of the Indiana Law Blog reports Governor Mike Pence's selction of Angela Weber and Carol Stephan to join the IURC
- 02.14.2014Women and the Law Meeting Minutes for July Now Available
The Women & the Law Division Executive Committee met on January 8, 2014.