Women and the Law Division
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 06.29.20152014 Data Released for Women and Minorities in Law Firms
The National Association for Lap Placement Inc. recently released 2014 data for women and minorities and law firms. Find out more here.
- 06.23.2015Nominations Now Accepted for Antoinette Dakin Leach Award
To recognize the accomplishments of female attorneys in central Indiana, the IndyBar’s Women & the Law Division presents the Antoinette Dakin Leach Award, an honor named for the first woman who gained admittance to the Indiana Bar.
- 06.15.2015Five Career Insights for Professionals
Check out this post for five career insights from 81-year old former Vermont governor Madeline Kunin.
- 06.15.2015Don't Miss the NAWL Annual Meeting & Awards Luncheon!
The Women and the Law Division is pleased to be a co-sponsor of the National Association of Women Lawyers’ Annual Meeting & Awards Luncheon on July 16 in New York City. Click here for a special registration discount.
- 06.11.2015Thank You to the Speaker and Sponsors of the Annual Summer Reception
The Women and the Law Division would like to thank all those who helped make this year's Annual Summer Reception on Wednesday, June 10 another great success. Read more here.
- 06.09.2015Strike a Work-Life Balance This Summer with WLD Socials
A new survey found that managing work and life responsibilities are getting more difficult for a third of workers, particularly millennials and parents. Check out this post for advice on how to strike a better balance this summer.
- 05.26.2015Meet Thea Kelly, 2015 Summer Reception Special Guest
We are looking forward to another fantastic WLD Summer Reception at the Indiana Historical Society on June 10th. We are delighted that Thea Kelly, Senior Counsel for Dow AgroSciences, is this year’s speaker.
- 05.20.2015Women in International Law Mentoring Program Callout
The American Society of International Law and its Women in International Law Interest Group are currently seeking mentors and mentees for its third Women in International Law Mentoring Program. See this post for details.
- 05.18.2015Harvard Study: Wage Gap Worsens Over Last 30 Years
A recent Harvard Law School study shows that the wage gap among men and women attorneys has actually worsened over the last three decades. See this post for more information.
- 05.05.2015Getting to Know the 2015 WLD Executive Committee
Get to know more about the 2015 WLD Executive Committee by reading the members' biographies in this post.
- 05.04.2015Flexibility Provided by Firm's Model Allows Two Women to "Have It All"
Two women opened up their own law firm and seem to have found a way to "have it all". Find out more in this post.
- 04.29.2015CLEs and Socials Coming Up Soon
Check out this post for some important dates for WLD events this spring and summer.
- 04.06.2015Men and Women Differ When Buying Legal Services
A recent survey found that male and female in-house counsel cited different factors for what influenced their decision to increase spending with law firms. Check out this post for more details.
- 03.30.2015Two Division Members Elected to Partnership
The Women and the Law Division would like to congratulate Margaret (Meg) Christensen and Briana Clark for their election to partnership at Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP.
- 03.30.2015WLD Mentoring Program Off to a Strong Start
Check out this post for an update on the WLD's 4th consecutive Mentoring Program, including photos from the Kickoff Luncheon on February 26.
- 03.18.2015More Women Going Solo
Check out this post for one solo practitioner's perspective on why more women are leaving larger firms to open up their own practices.
- 03.11.2015Coffee Hour Coming Up: April 1
Members of the Criminal Justice Section are invited to a coffee hour with students at the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, April 1. See this post for more details.
- 03.11.2015Mentors for the Many Stages of Your Career and Life
There are many types of mentors you may have (and need) over the course of your career. Find out more about the topic in this post and be sure to check out the WLD's mentoring program!
- 03.09.2015Coffee Chat with Chief Justice Rush on March 10
The Marion County Bar Association will host a coffee chat with Chief Justice Loretta Rush on Tuesday, March 10 at 8:15 a.m. Next week, Chief Justice Rush will speak at the IndyBar's Lawyer to Business reception on Wednesday, March 18.
- 02.18.2015Sheryl Sandberg, Adam Grant: Why Women Stay Quiet at Work
Check out this post for an interesting article about the tendency of women to stay quiet in the workplace and how that can affect their job outlook.
- 01.29.2015How a Supreme Court Justice Influenced a Stay-at-Home Dad
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's former clerk explains how she influenced the decisions he makes as a stay-at-home dad.
- 01.13.2015Nominations Now Open for 2015 Inspire Awards
College Mentors for Kids is now accepting nominations for the 2015 Inspire Awards, an annual event that honors mentors in the workplace and community. Nominations close on February 1.
- 01.12.2015This Day in History: First Woman Elected to U.S. Senate
On January 12, 1932, Arkansas elected Hattie W. Caraway as U.S. Senator, making her the first woman to hold a seat in the Senate.
- 12.17.2014Women at Work: What Men Need to Know
This piece by Lucy Dollens discusses a recent article in The Wall Street Journal that talks about why it is important for male managers to be aware of the effect women leadership has in the workplace.
- 12.16.2014Make 2015 a Game Changer
Check out this post for tips on how to make the new year successful for your practice.
- 12.10.2014Gift Giving Guide for Clients and Colleagues
In this article, Anna Kirkman offers suggestions on what you should consider before giving gifts to clients and colleagues this holiday season.
- 11.20.2014Female Solo Practitioners and the Feeling of Accomplishment
An article from Solo Practice University asks, "At what point can a woman feel accomplished?" Check out this article for more.
- 11.20.2014Lingo to Lose in 2015: TIME Puts "Feminism" on List
Among "bae" and "obvi", readers were surprised to find "feminism" as an option on TIME's poll for words to ban in 2015. Read more about the debate in this post.
- 11.14.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women and the Law Division! Minutes from the October WLD Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 11.12.2014Volunteers Needed to Help Host Coburn Place Holiday Party
The WLD is hosting a party for the children at Coburn Place on Saturday, December 13 from 10 a.m. to noon. Check out this post for details and consider volunteering to help out!
- 11.10.2014What it Takes to Be on the WLD Executive Committee: An Interview for Interested Applicants
There are positions available on the 2015 WLD Executive Committee. Check out this interview with current committee member Lucy Dollens for the inside scoop and for application details.
- 11.10.2014Men and Women and Their Decision-Making Differences
A study was done that shows how men and women respond to stress differently when it comes to making decisions. Check out this post by Jaclyn S. Gessner to find out more.
- 11.06.2014A Night for Lawyers and Louboutins: Defending Your Sole Indianapolis
On Tuesday, Nov. 18 from 6 to 9 p.m., Defending Your Sole will make its stop in Indy. IndyBar members are invited to come try on dozens of Louboutins at the event. Check out this post for more details.
- 11.05.2014Public Notice for Appointment of Chapter 13 Standing Trustee
The United States Trustee seeks resumes from persons wishing to be considered for appointment as a standing trustee to administer cases filed under chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. See this post for details.
- 11.03.2014Positions Available on the WLD Executive Committee in 2015
The Women and the Law Division has openings available on the 2015 Executive Committee. See this post for more information.
- 10.23.2014Is a Stock Photo Worth a Thousand Words?
Getty Images has partnered with LeanIn.org to create a collection of empowering stock images of women and girls. Read more about the effort in this post.
- 10.17.2014The Latest in Land Value Litigation and More at This CLE!
Join the WLD for "How to Prepare a Land Valuation Expert Witness for Testimony", a CLE on Oct. 29 that will cover hot topics and updates in land valuation litigation and more.
- 10.14.2014Family Time and Fast-Tracking Careers: How Female Lawyers Make it Work
Women in law often make choices to focus on family life or fast-tracking their careers. Find out some of the ways this is being done and how it answers the question "Are working women still disadvantaged?" in this post.
- 10.14.2014Suit Up: Traditional Suits Still on Trend for Attorneys
Which attire is most popular when it comes to the courtroom? Nothing trendy - stick with traditional. Check out this post for more.
- 10.14.2014Building Influence with Behavior and Attitude
Check out this post to learn how confidently entering a room can help you build influence in your practice and learn the first steps toward doing so.
- 09.30.2014Workout Like Ruth
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg may be an 81-year old cancer survivor, but she still works out like the Canadian Air Force. Read more about her healthy exercise regimen in this post.
- 09.29.2014Ruth Bader Ginsburg Talks About Retirement
In an interview with Elle magazine, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg comments on when we can expect her to retire.
- 09.29.2014Law Professor's Clinic Targets Revenge Porn and Patent Trolls
Law students at a recent legal hack-athon created a website that could be a one-stop-shop to end revenge porn.
- 09.29.2014How to Be a Cathedral Builder, Not a Worker Bee
Find out how to make sure that you keep the big picture in mind when practicing law so that you are successful in serving clients.
- 09.29.2014Watson Launches "HeForShe" Campaign
Emma Watson launched the HeForShe Campaign when she spoke at the UN on September 20. This campaign calls for men to become advocates for gender equality.
- 09.22.2014Gender Pay Gap Narrows in Census Bureau's Most Recent Report
A recent Census Bureau report shows that the pay gap between men and women narrowed last year to the smallest gap since 1960.
- 09.19.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the August WLD Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 09.19.2014WLD Volunteers: Making Meals and Making a Difference
Dozens of WLD volunteers prepared meals for The Julian Center and Eskenazi EMBRACE Program's families on September 6 and September 9. Check out the recap from Roxana Bell!
- 09.17.2014Working Women: What Makes You Lose Sleep at Night?
A new Forbes eBook asked women that question, and this article discusses the answers and ways that professionals across the country cope with the challenges of a busy work life.
- 09.12.2014Women in Law: An Infographic
This infographic breaks down issues that women in law face, including the gender gap, current climate in the workplace and more.
- 09.09.2014Gender Diversity in the Legal Industry
Melanne Verveer offers her thoughts on women's advancement in the legal industry and which factors could play an important role in the process.
- 09.03.2014Mark Your Calendar: How to Prepare a Land Valuation Expert Witness for Testimony
Join the WLD for this CLE on October 29 for information on expert witnesses.
- 08.26.2014Women's Equality Day: Right to Vote Turns 94 Years Old
On this day in 1920, the 19th Amendment was proclaimed as part of the Constitution of the United States, giving women the right to vote.
- 08.26.2014Upcoming CLE with Ethics Credit: How to Fire Your Client
How do you let a client go, and how do you ethically recover fees from ex-clients? This CLE has all the answers.
- 08.20.2014Women Attorneys Discuss Working in Patent Litigation
A recently published roundtable discussion features input from several seasoned female attorneys who work in the predominately male arena of patent litigation.
- 08.14.2014Volunteers Needed: Lend a Hand and Make a Meal with the WLD
Two opportunities are coming up for members to volunteer and prepare meals for The Julian Center and Eskenazi's Embrace Program.
- 08.12.2014A Rose by Any Other Name...Would Not be a Judge
How much power does a name hold? One study shows that for female lawyers, it can make a big difference.
- 08.11.2014Upcoming CLE: What You Need to Know About Litigating TROs
Litigating TROs and preliminary injunctions are the focus of a CLE coming up on September 16.
- 08.11.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the WLD June Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 08.11.2014Relationships Matter for Women in Law
The gender gap continues to exist in the law profession, but building better relationships could help women narrow the margin.
- 08.07.2014Faegre Baker Daniels, Ice Miller Named Among Top Law Firms for Women
Working Mother and Flex-time Lawyers released their 50 Best Law Firms for Women list for 2014.
- 08.01.2014Notre Dame Could be the Next Hobby Lobby
Two graduate students at the University of Notre Dame need birth control, but the one who gets her health care through the university is barred from obtaining a prescription for it.
- 07.31.2014Former CNN Anchor Discusses the Prices of Success
Award-winning journalist Bernard Shaw was a CNN news anchor for more than 20 years. He reflects on his career, mentors and how he knew it was time to leave the anchor desk.
- 07.30.2014You're Invited: Free Symposium by Women Like Us
Come check out this free event, where a panel of professional leaders will discuss important issues that women face today.
- 07.28.2014When Justice Ginsburg is on the Wedding Guest List
One bride invited a Supreme Court justice to her wedding. While 50+ people didn't respond, Justice Ginsburg did.
- 07.24.2014WLD Meeting Minutes Available
Stay up to date with the Women & the Law Division! Minutes from the WLD May Executive Committee meeting are now available.
- 07.22.2014Use Body Language to Boost Business
Oral arguments are something lawyers must master, but don't forget to take visual cues into account for overall effective communication.
- 07.17.2014Overtime Compensation: A New Explanation for the Wage Gap
Men are more likely to work extra hours, so much so that it could account for the persistence of the wage gap over the last 30 years.
- 07.16.2014“Lean In” or “Recline”: How Should Women Reach the Top?
Join the Bingham Greenebaum Doll Women's Forum for a free panel discussion about the contradictory advice given to professional women.
- 07.14.2014One Firm's Solution to Help Work-Life Balance for Attorneys
One firm is implementing changes to facilitate better work-life balance for its employees. But will it really help?
- 07.10.2014Legal Line Volunteers Aid 72 People
Volunteers from the Women & the Law Division helped 72 people with legal issues on Tuesday.
- 07.08.2014Dean of Harvard Law School Discusses Gender's Role in Her Career
Dean Martha Minow of the Harvard Law School talks about finding her way as a woman in a field inundated with men.