Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 07.13.2015Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
Check out this post for the latest Tax Section updates straight from section chair Marc Caito of KPMG LLP.
- 06.30.2015Taking Notes on Tax Increment Financing
Nashville is the newest $100 billion city, thanks to tax increment financing. Check out this article to read more about the city's road to success and how Indy can learn from their example.
- 06.17.2015Tax on Out-of-State Earnings Possibly Illegal
The Supreme Court of the United States' ruling in Comptroller v. Wynne on May 18 may mean that Hoosiers paid illegal taxes on out-of-state earnings.
- 06.15.2015IRS Announces Plans to Protect Taxpayers From Identity Theft Tax Fraud
On Thursday, June 11, IRS Commissioner John Koskinen announced new steps to protect taxpayers form identity theft tax fraud. Read more here.
- 06.02.2015Lien Takes Priority in Tax Sale Property
The Indiana Court of Appeals ruled in a case in early May that a woman who obtained a judgment lien in 2006 against a co-owner of a property later sold in a tax sale has priority over other claims for the tax sale surplus.
- 05.18.2015Indiana Tax Court Issues Opinion in Property Development Company Four LLC v. Grant County Assessor
The Indiana Tax Court issued an opinion in Property Development Company Four LLC v. Grant County Assessor. See this post for more information.
- 05.08.2015Notice 2015-38 Released: Updated List of Designated Private Delivery Services
Notice 2015-38 updates the list of designated private delivery services. See this post for more information.
- 05.06.2015NFL Will No Longer File as Tax-Exempt Entity
On Tuesday, April 28, NFL Commissioner Roger Gooddell announced that the league will no longer file as a tax-exempt entity. Read more in this post.
- 05.04.2015IRS Seeks Applications for the Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council
The IRS announced on Friday, May 1 that it is accepting applications for IRS Advisory Council. Applications will be accepted May 1 - June 26, 2015. Please see this post for more information.
- 04.30.2015Task Force to Study Caseload and Resources of Tax Court
The Supreme Court of Indiana announced on Monday, April 20 that they are creating a seven member Task Force to examine the caseload, resources, staffing, performance and operations of the Indiana Tax Court.
- 04.27.2015Notice 2015-37 Released
Notice 2015-37 provides guidance on eligibility for minimum essential coverage for purposes of the premium tax credit. Find out more here.
- 04.15.2015Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
Check out this post for the latest section updates and upcoming events straight from section chair Marc Caito of KPMG LLP.
- 04.01.2015IRS Identity Verification Letters are Legitimate
This tax season, the IRS is attempting to curtail identity theft by mailing identity verification requests to various taxpayers. This is not a scam, however, taxpayers should be alert for scams in other forms of communication.
- 03.11.2015Proposed Bill Would Mean Paying Taxes in Bitcoin
Taxes can be a headache. Would bitcoin make it easier? One New Hampshire bill certainly hopes so. Find out more in this post.
- 03.09.2015IRS Solicits Comments Concerning 94x Fliers Free Option
The IRS is soliciting comments concerning a free option for 94x filers through a Request for Information published on the Federal Register. Written comments should be received on or before May 4, to be assured of consideration. See this post for details.
- 03.05.2015Tax Penalties for Failure to Enroll in Health Care
The enrollment period for insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act has expired, and people who did not sign up for health care will now be subject to penalties upon filing of tax returns. Find out more in this post.
- 03.02.2015IRS Provides Estimated Tax Penalty Relief to Farmers and Fishermen
Please see this post for a news release from the IRS in which they provide estimated tax penalty relief to farmers and fishermen receiving corrected premium tax credit forms.
- 02.19.2015Notice 2015-17 Released
Notice 2015-17 provides transition relief from the assessment of excise tax under section 4980D for small employers who reimburse or pay a premium for an individual health insurance policy for an employee. See this post for more information.
- 02.17.2015Notice: Revenue Procedure 2015-20 Released
Revenue Procedure 2015-20, which features changes in accounting periods and in methods of accounting, has been released.
- 02.12.2015Adding Up the Costs of Super Bowl XLIX
How much does the Super Bowl cost every year? A lot. Check out this post to find out how much money goes into the biggest football game of the year.
- 01.29.2015State of the Union: Effects on Taxes
President Obama's State of the Union proposals have several implications on taxes nationwide. Check out this post for more.
- 01.27.2015Notice: Penalty Relief Related to Advance Payments of the Premium Tax Credit
The IRS has released a notice that provides limited relief for taxpayers who have a balance due on their 2014 income tax return. Read this post for details.
- 01.23.2015Bill Watch, Jan. 23, 2015: Current Tax Legislation of Note
The IndyBar Legislative Committee is currently monitoring the following tax-related legislation.
- 12.16.2014Let's Talk About the 2015 Tax Season
What should you know about the 2015 tax season? Check out this post to find out.
- 12.11.2014Holiday Party Drinks: Do You Have to Pay Taxes?
Holiday parties abound this season, but should you technically pay taxes on the drinks and other refreshments enjoyed at these festivities? Check out this post for the answer from a tax attorney's perspective.
- 11.24.2014Does Control of Congress Lead to Tax Reform?
After the recent elections, control of Congress impacted many people's reactions. But according to this author, control of congress doesn't mater when it comes to tax reform.
- 11.12.2014Leftover Halloween Candy and the Tax Consequences
Do you still have sweets spilling out of your house from Halloween? Check out this post for 11 ways to get rid of leftover candy and the tax consequences of each one.
- 10.30.2014Are Taxes the Answer to the Ebola Outbreak?
Check out this post to read about how taxes may come into play when fighting the Ebola outbreak in the United States.
- 10.28.2014Annual Tax Court CLE & Reception Registration Now Open!
Registration for the Annual Tax Court CLE & Reception on Nov. 20 is now open. Read this post for moore details about the event and registration information.
- 10.17.2014PTIN Renewal Season is Underway
All PTINs expire on Dec. 31 and must be renewed annually. Renewal can be done online and paper version available. Check out this post for more details on how to get started.
- 10.16.2014Tax Invaders Take the Headline
A recent Forbes article discussed an impending "accidental tax invasion" and what some of the potential legal ramifications could be. Check out this post for more.
- 09.30.2014Free IRS Webinar Offered on Recent Changes to Circular 230
The IRS will be offering a free webinar on Oct. 29 on recent changes to Treasury Department Circular No. 230.
- 09.25.2014IRS Begins Sending Emails Regarding New Annual Filing Season Program
On September 24, the IRS will begin sending informational emails to tax return preparers about the new filing season program.
- 09.25.2014IRS Warns Financial Institutions of Scams Designed to Steal FATCA-Related Account Data
On September 24, the IRS issued a fraud alert for international financial institutions complying with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act
- 09.23.2014Treasury Takes Action Against Inversion Deals
The U.S. Department of the Treasury announced new rules on September 22 that reduce the tax benefits available to companies that have inverted. Read more in this post.
- 09.18.2014Talking Tax at IU McKinney
On September 16, some of the IndyBar Tax Section members spoke on a panel about their careers in tax at a roundtable and networking night for students at IU McKinney.
- 09.09.2014You're Invited: Coffee Hour at IU McKinney
Mark your calendars for this opportunity to meet with law students and fellow section members while enjoying free coffee and donuts on Oct. 21.
- 09.09.2014Public-Safety Income Tax Increase Approved by Indianapolis Council
Starting in 2015, the total income-tax rate for Marion County will rise to 1.77 percent after an increase in public-safety income tax was approved.
- 08.25.2014Burger King May Move to Canada to Lower Taxes
Burger King is currently in talks with Tim Hortons for a possible "inversion" move to Canada.
- 07.31.2014New Edition of Tax Dispatch Available
Check out the latest Tax Dispatch for legislative updates, a recap of Governor Pence's tax conference and more.