Sports & Entertainment Law Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 12.19.2014Free Speech in the NFL
From Twitter to t-shirts, NFL players have been exercising their right to free speech this season. Recent events have only fueled the fire to take their message onto the field.
- 12.12.2014Redskins Suit Moves Forward
On Dec. 1, a federal judge in Virginia decided to hear the Redskins' suit against a group of Native Americans over their Redskins trademark registrations.
- 11.17.2014Reality TV: Legal Drama Behind the Scenes
You see enough drama on the show itself, but even more drama is unfolding behind the scenes for the creators of The Real Housewives of Orange County. Check out this post for more.
- 11.13.2014Conflict of Interest Could Play a Role in Sports Betting Case
The brother of the judge in a New Jersey sports betting case used to play in the NFL and may be pursuing a return to the league as a coach. Check out this post to read how conflict of interest could play a role in the appeals process.
- 10.30.2014Report: UNC Gives Easy A's to Student-Athletes
A recent investigation of academic fraud at UNC shows that student-athletes have been enrolled in easier courses during 18 years of NCAA competition. Check out this post for more information.
- 10.14.2014Nine NFL Players Opt Out of Settlement Offer
The deadline to opt out of the proposed concussion settlement is Oct. 14. Nine players have rejected the offer and wish to delay the deadline.
- 09.15.2014NFL Arrests by the Numbers
Recent NFL scandals have rocked the legal community, and this article breaks down data that shows criminal activity of NFL players over the last 14 years.
- 08.26.2014Colts Commit to Fund Indiana High School Coaches' Training
The Colts will fund Heads Up Football safety program for all Indiana high school football coaches in 2015.
- 08.20.2014A Winning Night for the Sports & Entertainment Law Section at Victory Field
Section members and law students gathered to watch the Indians game on August 18. What they didn't expect to see was their own Joel Tragesser and Jaclyn Flint take home a win in the 7th inning!
- 08.20.2014The Legality of Fantasy Football Leagues
In some states, entering fantasy football leagues qualifies as a misdemeanor. Here's what you need to know before drafting your 2014 team.
- 08.15.2014NASCAR Adds New Rule
This new rule will affect drivers' actions following an accident.
- 08.12.2014Upcoming CLE: When Law Meets Olympics and International Sport
This program on September 18 will talk about the influence of law on international sports and the Olympic Games.
- 08.11.2014In Case You Missed It: Judge Rules NCAA Violates Antitrust Law
Did you check out Friday before this NCAA foundation-shaking federal court ruling was announced? Read about what it means for the league (and its players) here.
- 08.07.2014Upcoming CLE: Games of Chance and Contests of Skill
This program will highlight basic principles and laws of contests and sweepstakes and how to develop legally compliant contests and sweepstakes.
- 07.30.2014Sports & Entertainment Section Hosting Law Students at Indians Game
Join other Sports & Entertainment Law section members for some baseball and storytelling to law students.
- 07.29.2014NCAA Reaches Settlement in Head Injury Lawsuit
College athletes and teams have policies in place now when it comes to dealing with head injuries, and they also have new means to potentially sue for damages.
- 07.28.201411 Fast Facts About Indy Eleven
Check out this article for some fun facts about Indy's pro soccer team and for a chance to meet the team owner!
- 07.22.2014Dedicated to Motorsports
The Racing Attorney Conference fills a need for motorsport law study in the U.S. legal community and is an annual event co-sponsored by the IndyBar.
- 07.22.2014Are State Names Trademarked for Schools?
Ohio State University is suing a T-shirt manufacturer for producing a shirt with "O-H-I-O" on the front. Should state schools be able to trademark the state name?
- 07.15.2014IU Releases Student-Athlete Bill of Rights
Full-ride scholarships for life are one feature of the new IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights.
- 07.01.2014New Law in Effect on High School Athletes' Head Injuries
A law that took effect today will require coaches and players to follow new protocol when it comes to suspected head injuries and concussions.
- 06.27.2014Join us at the Ballpark!
Join the Sports and Entertainment Law Section on Monday, August 18th as we watch the Indianapolis Indians play the Louisville Bats from The Cove at Victory Field.
- 05.01.2014Center for Intellectual Property Research to Present "Leveraging Creativity"
This timely symposium, to be held Friday, May 16 in Indianapolis, will update you on important trends and topics in copyright law.
- 04.30.2014Spend Fast Friday at the Track with the Sports & Entertainment Law Section
Join the Sports & Entertainment Law Section for Fast Friday on Friday, May 16! FREE tickets for the Crown Royal Suite at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway are available to section members who register no later than May 10.
- 04.17.2014Stokely G. Caldwell Honored with 2014 TRAC Star Award
The Racing Attorney Conference periodically presents its TRAC Star Award, the highest honor that can be bestowed by the program committee. Stokely G. Caldwell was honored at the 2014 conference in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 03.21.2014Keynote Speaker for TRAC2014 Announced
Kelley Earnhardt Miller, Co-Owner of JR Motorsports, LLC, will serve as the keynote speaker at the Racing Attorneys Conference, which will take place April 8 and 9 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 03.06.2014Make Your TRAC2014 Hotel Reservation Today
The discounted room rate for TRAC 2014 will expire on March 24.
- 02.19.2014Agenda Unveiled for TRAC 2014
Now in its seventh year, the Racing Attorney Conference (TRAC) will be held April 8 and 9 at the Hyatt Place Charlote Downtown in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 01.03.2014Save the Date for TRAC 2014!
The Racing Attorneys Conference (TRAC) will take place April 8-9, 2014 in Charlotte, North Carolina.