Intellectual Property Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 01.27.2016Pay Attention to Deadlines When Petitioning PTAB
Two members of our section have written an interesting article discussing the importance of paying attention to deadlines when petitioning the Patent Trial and Appeals Board.
- 01.25.2016U.S. Supreme Court Considers Standard of Review for Claims Construction in IPR
The U.S. Supreme Court recently decided to review the standard applied by the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board for claims construction during inter partes review.
- 01.15.2016Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
The Intellectual Property Section Executive Committee has had its first meeting of the year, and there are a number of exciting events in the works for 2016.
- 12.21.2015The Grinch Claims Defamation
What happens when the Grinch files a defamation claim? NPR explored the possibility in this recent piece.
- 12.14.2015Patent Cases: Doing the Paperwork and Upcoming CLE
See this post for an article doing patent assignments to win your case and for information about an upcoming section CLE on patents.
- 12.02.2015Music Piracy Website Operator Sentenced to 3 Years
Rocky P. Ouprasith, operator of the second largest music piracy website RockDizMusic.com, was sentenced to 36 months in prison for criminal copyright infringement.
- 11.16.2015Colts Sued for "12th Man" Trademark
Texas A&M filed suit on Thursday, November 12 against the Indianapolis Colts to protect its “Home of the 12th Man” federal trademark.
- 11.16.2015E-Filing Extended to Indiana Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
On November 6, Chief Justice Loretta Rush signed an order extending e-filing.
- 11.04.2015Indiana Patent Infringement Case to be Heard by U.S. Supreme Court
Stryker Corp et al. v. Zimmer Inc., and Indiana-based patent infringement case, will be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. Find out more in this post.
- 11.04.2015186 Patents Issued to Indiana Citizens in October 2015
In October 2015, the U.S. Patent Office issued 186 patents to Indiana citizens. To see the list of recipients, click here.
- 10.22.2015Copyright Infringement Case Transferred to Southern District of Indiana
A copyright infringement case involving several Indianapolis-based entities has been transferred to the Southern District of Indiana due to a lack of venue in the Northern District of Indiana.
- 10.14.2015Over 400 Patents, Trademarks Issued in September 2015
The U.S. Patent Office and U.S. Trademark Office issued a total of 402 patents and trademarks to Indiana citizens in September 2015. View the list of recipients here.
- 09.21.2015CAFC Upholds the Doctrine of Laches in Patent Cases
Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Petrella v. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and found that the doctrine of laches is unavailable in copyright lawsuits, allowing the plaintiff to proceed with her claim for conduct. Read more here.
- 09.15.2015September 2015 Meeting Recap
See this post for the latest information from the IP Section Executive Committee's meeting on Monday, September 14, 2015.
- 09.10.2015Patent Connect for Hoosiers Connects Inventors with Attorneys
Many IP attorneys attended IU Maurer School of Law Center for Intellectual Property Research’s CLE Launch Event at Eli Lilly and Company on Tuesday, September 1. Learn more about CIPR's Patent Connect for Hoosiers here.
- 09.02.2015IP Section Co-Sponsor of PTAB/IBR Panel in 2016
The Intellectual Property Section is co-sponsoring the Insights to PTAB/IBR panel on January 26, 2016 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Learn more here.
- 08.11.2015CLE Recap: Patents and Trademarks at the Supreme Court
Check out this post for a recap of two recent CLE programs hosted by the Intellectual Property Section.
- 08.05.2015Angie's List Alleges Theft of Trade Secrets Against Amazon Local
Intellectual property attorneys at Angie's List recently sued Amazon Local, a company in Seattle, alleging theft of trade secrets. Read more here.
- 07.14.2015Meeting Minutes: July 2015
Click here to view a summary of the Intellectual Property Section Executive Committee meeting from July 13, 2015.
- 07.06.2015Indianapolis Skyline Photo Copyright Appeal Ruled Improper
On Monday, June 29, the 7th Circuit of Appeals ruled that a lawyer and photographer's appeal in a copyright lawsuit over unlicensed use of his photo of the Indianapolis skyline was improper. Read more here.
- 06.15.2015DISH Network Accuses Indiana Resident of Piracy
Intellectual property attorneys for DISH Network have filed a lawsuit in the Southern District of Indiana accusing a resident of piracy. Read more here.
- 06.04.2015UT Lady Vols Trademark Revisited
Check out this post for a follow-up of commentary on the Lady Vols and trademark abandonment.
- 06.01.2015SCOTUS Rules in Commil USA, LLC v. Cisco Systems, Inc.
On May 26, the Supreme Court of the United States held that a defendant’s belief regarding patent validity is not a defense to a claim of induced patent infringement. Read more here.
- 05.18.2015Intellectual Property Branching Into Other Practice Areas
Intellectual property is increasingly crossing paths with other practice areas. Find out which fields are coming into play in this post.
- 05.04.2015Inventor’s Declaration Necessary to File RCE in 371 Applications
The United States Patent and Trademark Office is revising the rules of practice to implement Title I of the Patent Law Treaties Implementation Act of 2012. The revision will be effective May 13, 2015. Find out more information in this post.
- 04.28.2015Court of Appeals Rules Think Tank's Information Not a Trade Secret
The Court of Appeals of Indiana recently affirmed a ruling that concludes the defendants' information was insufficiently private to constitute trade secrets. You can read more about the case here.
- 04.16.2015Don't Forget - World IP Day is Coming Up!
Check out this post for more information on celebrating World IP Day in Indianapolis on Monday, April 27 from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Hillbert Circle Theatre.
- 04.01.2015Trademark Infringement Part of this Complete Breakfast
The smooth rock band Hall & Oates is suing a food company selling "Haulin' Oats" granola for violation of its trademark. Read more about the case in this post.
- 03.17.2015Time for IP: World IP Day in Indianapolis
Check out this post for information about an event to celebrate World IP Day on Monday, April 27.
- 03.16.20152015 Patent Bar Scholarships Winners Announced
The IndyBar Intellectual Property Section is pleased to award its 2015 Patent Bar Scholarships to Prianka Ghanta and Kevin Oschman of the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law. Check out this post for more information.
- 03.11.2015"Blurred Lines" Case Leads to One of the Largest Damages Awards
A jury finds that Robin Thicke and Pharell Williams’ 2013 hit song “Blurred Lines” copied elements of Marvin Gaye’s 1977 song “Got to Give it Up” without permission. Find out how much the jury awarded Marvin Gaye's family in this post.
- 03.11.2015Passed and Pending Anti-Patent Troll Legislation
Indiana recently joined the ranks of 17 other states that have either passed or are considering anti-patent troll legislation. Check out this post for the progress of the pending legislation in each state.
- 02.24.2015Annual BioPharma/Tech Law Symposium on 3/12
The IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law will host the Annual BioPharma/Tech Law Symposium on Thursday, March 12 from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Read this post for more details.
- 02.12.2015Back to the Future is Back in the Spotlight
Back to the Future is back in the spotlight...Although this time it's for a trademark infringement lawsuit. Check out this post for more information about the case.