Intellectual Property Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 08.28.2014Tracking Your Health? Don't Let Someone Track You
Wearable fitness devices have taken America by storm, but the rapid spread has left privacy matters overlooked.
- 08.26.2014Networking Opportunity with Indiana CPA Society
On August 28, the legal community will have the chance to network with business professionals at this IndyBar event.
- 08.20.2014Women Attorneys Discuss Working in Patent Litigation
A recently published roundtable discussion features input from several seasoned female attorneys who work in the predominately male arena of patent litigation.
- 08.12.2014Intellectual Property Licensing Roundtable CLE
On September 23, a roundtable discussion about intellectual property licensing will be held as a one-credit CLE.
- 08.11.2014In Case You Missed It: Judge Rules NCAA Violates Antitrust Law
Did you check out Friday before this NCAA foundation-shaking federal court ruling was announced? Read about what it means for the league (and its players) here.
- 07.31.2014IU Maurer School of Law Selected for Clinic Certification Pilot Program
Five law schools across the nation were selected by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to participate in their Clinic Certification Pilot Program.
- 07.29.201411 Fast Facts About Indy Eleven
Check out this article for some fun facts about Indy's pro soccer team and for a chance to meet the team owner!
- 07.28.2014A Candy Bar By Any Other Name
Hershey Company is suing Sen. Steve Hershey for imitating its trademark chocolate bar logo in his re-election campaign.
- 07.22.2014Are State Names Trademarked for Schools?
Ohio State University is suing a T-shirt manufacturer for producing a shirt with "O-H-I-O" on the front. Should state schools be able to trademark the state name?
- 07.18.2014More Patent Cases Filed but Lower Median Damages Awards
A new study shows that the number of cases filed continues to grow while the damages awards continue to decline.
- 07.15.2014Supreme Court Rules Against Streaming Broadcast Television Service Aereo
By Dan Duval - Woodard, Emhardt, Moriarty, McNett & Henry LLP: The Supreme Court ruled that Aereo violated copyright laws by publicly performing copyrighted works.
- 07.03.2014Recent Trends in Trademark Law
From the ITC, nominative fair use, crowdfunding and more, read about the latest trends in trademark law.
- 06.27.2014Supreme Court Overturns Federal Circuit Case On Induced Infringement
A Supreme Court ruling interprets induced infringement and how it applies to patented methods.
- 06.26.2014Lessons in Timing from the Washington Redskins Trademark Cancellation
By: Constance R. Lindman, SmithAmundsen LLC, and Kaylea Weiler, SmithAmundsen LLC: Last week, upon petition by five Native American individuals, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board cancelled six trademarks bearing the word “Redskin” registered to the tea
- 06.24.2014Supreme Court Affirms Patent Ineligibility of Business Method Invention in Alice Corp. Decision
By Marcelo Copat, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP: A unanimous U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the judgment of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- 06.11.2014Calling All Writers!
Do you have an article, a blog post, or even just an interesting or informative link you'd like to share with fellow IndyBar Intellectual Property Section members? The IP Section is accepting submissions for the section's webpage.
- 06.09.2014Recent SCOTUS IP Decisions
On June 2, 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court issued two decisions friendly to patent infringement defendants, unanimously striking down rules created by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the nation's "patent appeals" court.
- 05.02.2014Opinion Handed Down in Dan Brewington v. State
In a decision released on May 1, Indiana Supreme Court upheld the conviction of a blogger who threatened a judge.
- 04.24.2014Center for Intellectual Property Research to Present "Leveraging Creativity"
This timely symposium, to be held Friday, May 16 in Indianapolis, will update you on important trends and topics in copyright law.
- 03.14.2014Save the Date: Center for Intellectual Property Law and Innovation 3rd Annual Symposium
The Symposium will feature keynote speaker Bob Armitage and many distinguished panelists.
- 03.11.2014Going European: Does the USPTO favor an international patent model?
Those who have been paying attention to United States patent law have noticed considerable changes over the past two years.These changes have even become interesting enough to periodically appear on mainstream news and media programs.
- 02.19.2014Local Firm Representing Actor's Estate in Twitter Fight
James Dean twitter handle draws lawsuit from actor's estate.
- 01.18.2014Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Indianapolis Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section. The IP Section provides CLEs on a wide range of topics for both experienced IP practitioners and those who want to know more about IP.
- 01.02.2014Constance Lindman to Chair Intellectual Property Section in 2014
Lindman is a partner in SmithAmundsen’s Indianapolis office and is Co-Chair of its Intellectual Property Practice Group.