Intellectual Property Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 11.12.2014Ethics CLE for Intellectual Property Lawyers
On Tuesday, Dec. 9 there will be an ethics CLE for intellectual property attorneys. Attendees will earn 3 Ethics and General Credits. Check out this post for more information!
- 11.07.2014What the Media Isn't Telling You About the Redskins Lawsuit
You've seen the dramatic headlines, now get the real story behind the Redskins lawsuit. This post from Kay Weiler has the background on the case that the media isn't telling you.
- 10.27.2014"Red Bull Gives You Wings" - and a Headache for Red Bull
The slogan "Red Bull gives you wings" is recognized by millions of consumers, but does it falsely imply that drinking Red Bull will give consumers a physical lift? Read more in this post by Stephen Farris.
- 10.16.2014Disney's Frozen Under Fire After Woman Files Multimillion Dollar Lawsuit
Disney is being sued by a woman who claims Frozen was taken from her life story. Check out this post by Eric Lamb to read about the case and her claims.
- 10.08.2014Experts in IP Creation and Commercialization Discuss University-Industry Partnering
Check out the IP Section CLE on Oct. 17 to hear from experts in licensing technology, medical and other inventions in the U.S. and internationally. A discussion of the Bayh-Dole Act will also be included. Find out more in this post.
- 09.29.2014Law Professor's Clinic Targets Revenge Porn and Patent Trolls
Law students at a recent legal hack-athon created a website that could be a one-stop-shop to end revenge porn.
- 09.12.2014Upcoming CLE: University-Industry Partnering in IP Creation and Commercialization
Learn about university- industry IP collaboration from university counsel, outside counsel and industry counsel at this CLE on Oct. 17. An optional roundtable lunch follows the presentation.
- 09.10.2014IP Attorney Deals in Digital Currency
IndyBar member Paul Overhauser is one of the only attorneys in the state to adopt Bitcoin into his legal practice, and a segment of his clients now pay using the digital currency.
- 08.28.2014Tracking Your Health? Don't Let Someone Track You
Wearable fitness devices have taken America by storm, but the rapid spread has left privacy matters overlooked.
- 08.20.2014Women Attorneys Discuss Working in Patent Litigation
A recently published roundtable discussion features input from several seasoned female attorneys who work in the predominately male arena of patent litigation.
- 08.12.2014Intellectual Property Licensing Roundtable CLE
On September 23, a roundtable discussion about intellectual property licensing will be held as a one-credit CLE.
- 08.11.2014In Case You Missed It: Judge Rules NCAA Violates Antitrust Law
Did you check out Friday before this NCAA foundation-shaking federal court ruling was announced? Read about what it means for the league (and its players) here.
- 07.31.2014IU Maurer School of Law Selected for Clinic Certification Pilot Program
Five law schools across the nation were selected by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to participate in their Clinic Certification Pilot Program.
- 07.29.201411 Fast Facts About Indy Eleven
Check out this article for some fun facts about Indy's pro soccer team and for a chance to meet the team owner!
- 07.28.2014A Candy Bar By Any Other Name
Hershey Company is suing Sen. Steve Hershey for imitating its trademark chocolate bar logo in his re-election campaign.
- 07.22.2014Are State Names Trademarked for Schools?
Ohio State University is suing a T-shirt manufacturer for producing a shirt with "O-H-I-O" on the front. Should state schools be able to trademark the state name?
- 07.18.2014More Patent Cases Filed but Lower Median Damages Awards
A new study shows that the number of cases filed continues to grow while the damages awards continue to decline.
- 07.15.2014Supreme Court Rules Against Streaming Broadcast Television Service Aereo
By Dan Duval - Woodard, Emhardt, Moriarty, McNett & Henry LLP: The Supreme Court ruled that Aereo violated copyright laws by publicly performing copyrighted works.
- 07.03.2014Recent Trends in Trademark Law
From the ITC, nominative fair use, crowdfunding and more, read about the latest trends in trademark law.
- 06.27.2014Supreme Court Overturns Federal Circuit Case On Induced Infringement
A Supreme Court ruling interprets induced infringement and how it applies to patented methods.
- 06.26.2014Lessons in Timing from the Washington Redskins Trademark Cancellation
By: Constance R. Lindman, SmithAmundsen LLC, and Kaylea Weiler, SmithAmundsen LLC: Last week, upon petition by five Native American individuals, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board cancelled six trademarks bearing the word “Redskin” registered to the tea
- 06.24.2014Supreme Court Affirms Patent Ineligibility of Business Method Invention in Alice Corp. Decision
By Marcelo Copat, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP: A unanimous U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the judgment of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- 06.11.2014Calling All Writers!
Do you have an article, a blog post, or even just an interesting or informative link you'd like to share with fellow IndyBar Intellectual Property Section members? The IP Section is accepting submissions for the section's webpage.
- 06.09.2014Recent SCOTUS IP Decisions
On June 2, 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court issued two decisions friendly to patent infringement defendants, unanimously striking down rules created by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the nation's "patent appeals" court.
- 05.02.2014Opinion Handed Down in Dan Brewington v. State
In a decision released on May 1, Indiana Supreme Court upheld the conviction of a blogger who threatened a judge.
- 04.24.2014Center for Intellectual Property Research to Present "Leveraging Creativity"
This timely symposium, to be held Friday, May 16 in Indianapolis, will update you on important trends and topics in copyright law.
- 03.14.2014Save the Date: Center for Intellectual Property Law and Innovation 3rd Annual Symposium
The Symposium will feature keynote speaker Bob Armitage and many distinguished panelists.
- 03.11.2014Going European: Does the USPTO favor an international patent model?
Those who have been paying attention to United States patent law have noticed considerable changes over the past two years.These changes have even become interesting enough to periodically appear on mainstream news and media programs.
- 02.19.2014Local Firm Representing Actor's Estate in Twitter Fight
James Dean twitter handle draws lawsuit from actor's estate.
- 01.18.2014Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Indianapolis Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section. The IP Section provides CLEs on a wide range of topics for both experienced IP practitioners and those who want to know more about IP.
- 01.02.2014Constance Lindman to Chair Intellectual Property Section in 2014
Lindman is a partner in SmithAmundsen’s Indianapolis office and is Co-Chair of its Intellectual Property Practice Group.