Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 11.16.2015Proposed Amendments to Local Rules: Public Comment Period
The Court is proposing various amendments to its local rules. Deadline for comments is Tuesday, November 25, 2015
- 11.12.2015Notice: Scam Targets Bankruptcy Filers
Phone scammers are targeting bankruptcy filers in several states, using personal information from filings and posing as attorneys to get intended victims to immediately wire money to satisfy a debt.
- 11.04.2015Positions Available on 2016 Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section Executive Committee
The Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section of the Indianapolis Bar Association is in the process of selecting its Executive Committee members for 2016.There are three openings and applications are due November 20.
- 11.02.2015Bankruptcy Case Filings Down 11 Percent
On Wednesday, October 28, The Administrative Office of the United States Courts announced that bakruptcy cases filed in federal courts for the fiscal year 2015 are down 11 percent from fiscal year 2014.
- 10.21.2015Upcoming CLE: Common Errors Found in Consumer Cases
On Thursday, November 19, the Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section will host "Consumer Errors Found in Consumer Cases".
- 10.07.2015Chapter 13 Block Scheduling: New Albany
Effective as of October 5, 2015, Block Scheduling will be implemented in the New Albany Division for chapter 13 cases. Read more here.
- 09.23.2015Don't Miss the Annual Southern District of Indiana Bankruptcy Case Update
On Thursday, October 22 the Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section will host the Annual Southern District of Indiana Bankruptcy Case Update and Practice Pointers from 4 to 5 p.m.
- 09.08.2015Certification of Eligibility for Chapter 13 Discharge
The United States Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Indiana posted the Certification of Eligibility for Chapter 13 Discharge on on Friday, September 4. See it here.
- 08.31.2015Order Extending Filing Deadlines Due to CM/ECF Unavailability
The electronic filing system was unavailable on August 27. As a result, any deadline of August 27 was extended to August 28. Read more here.
- 08.17.2015General Order 15-0002: Order Amending Local Bankruptcy Rule B-4004-1(e)
The U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of Indiana has decided to eliminate the concept of a "notice of ineligibility for discharge" in Chapter 13 cases. Click here for more information.
- 08.05.2015New CLE Announced: Updates and Insight from the Chapter 13 Trustee's Office
On Wednesday, September 23, the Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section will host Updates and Insight from the Chapter 13 Trustee's Office featuring John M. Hauber of the Office of the Chapter 13 Trustee. Click here for more info.
- 07.30.2015Bankruptcy Statistics for 2014 Released
The 2014 Report of Statistics Required by the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 has been released. Click here for more information.
- 07.13.2015Order Guidelines Posted
The Bankruptcy Judges recently adopted Order Guidelines, which provide comprehensive details on the format and content of orders submitted by attorneys for the Court’s consideration and use. Read more here.
- 07.09.2015Change in Distribution of Wage Assignment Orders - Chapter 13 Cases
Effective Monday, July 6th, the Indianapolis Division Chapter 13 trustees will begin distributing wage assignment orders entered in Chapter 13 cases. See this post for more information.
- 06.29.2015Supreme Court's Ruling Makes Bankruptcy Case Fees Harder to Collect
The Supreme Court's ruling in Baker Botts v. Asarco will make it harder for law firms to collect certain types of fees in bankruptcy cases. Read more here.
- 06.16.2015U.S. Supreme Court Rules Against Firm in Bankruptcy Proceeding
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 on Monday, June 15 that the law firm Baker Botts could not collect additional fees it billed during the course of a bankruptcy proceeding.
- 06.15.2015Minor Local Rule Amendment and Revised Rights and Responsibilities Forms
Click here to read about recent changes in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Indiana.
- 06.02.2015Benefits of Opposing Party Filing Bankruptcy
Check out this post for a discussion of the benefits when an opposing party files for bankruptcy.
- 05.18.2015Credit After Bankruptcy Getting Better
JP Morgan Chase and Bank of America have both agreed to clear debt from credit reports that was discharged in bankruptcy. See this post for more information.
- 05.05.2015Free Electronic Noticing of Orders and Court Generated Notices Now Available for Debtors
The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana announced that as of Monday, May 4, debtors can request to receive orders and court-generated notices by email rather than by U.S. mail. See this post for more information.
- 04.27.2015Courtroom Relocations: Judge Carr and Judge Lorch
Judge James M. Carr has relocated into the space formerly occupied by Judge James K. Coachys, courtroom 325. His move allowed Judge Basil H. Lorch III to return to the chambers and courtroom he formerly occupied, courtroom 310.
- 04.15.201522nd Annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop Registration Open
The 22nd Annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop will be held in Traverse City, MI from June 11-14, 2015. Check out this post for more information.
- 04.09.2015ILR Blog: How Corporate Transactions Can Make Liability Insurance Disappear
The Indiana Law Review Blog recently published an article that discusses how, in the context of corporate sales, no-assignment clauses in commercial general liability insurance policies may be the basis for denial of coverage for pre-sale occurrences.
- 03.25.20157th Circuit Ruling Interprets RFRA in Light of Archdiocese Banrkuptcy Estate
Check out this post about a recent opinion interpreting the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- 03.18.2015You're Invited: Lecture by Supreme Court of Thailand Justice Auen Kunkeaw
IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law is hosting Justice Auen Kunkeaw of the Supreme Court of Thailand, who will deliver a public lecture on "Intellectual Property, Bankruptcy and the Thai Judiciary System" on March 25 from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
- 03.04.2015The Pros and Cons of Filing for Bankruptcy
Nobody wants to file for bankruptcy, but there are some pros to doing so. Check out this post for a list of the good and the bad when it comes to declaring bankruptcy.
- 03.04.2015Indianapolis Chambers and Courtroom Relocations
Chief Judge Robyn L. Moberly and Judge Jeffrey J. Graham have relocated as of March 2, 2015. Please see this post for details.
- 02.10.2015Identity Theft: Where to Start
There's an increasing amount of internet hack cases, so knowing where to start if you're an identity theft victim is important for everyone to know.
- 02.02.2015Notice of Important Legislation: Senate Bill 56 (Legacy Trust)
Senate Bill No. 56 will be up for a vote on Monday, February 9, 2015. Check out this post for more information about the bill's far-reaching implications in our area of law.
- 01.29.2015Commercial and Bankruptcy Law 101: 341(a) Meeting of Creditors
If you're new to commercial and bankruptcy law or considering moving into the field, check out this post for helpful information about a 341(a) Meeting of Creditors.
- 12.09.2014Going Broke but Gaining Relief: Insight on the Emotional Ebbs and Flows of Bankruptcy Cases
Check out this post to read Terry E. Hall's experiences when Chapter 11 cases work and business debts are made more manageable.