Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 03.25.20157th Circuit Ruling Interprets RFRA in Light of Archdiocese Banrkuptcy Estate
Check out this post about a recent opinion interpreting the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- 03.18.2015You're Invited: Lecture by Supreme Court of Thailand Justice Auen Kunkeaw
IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law is hosting Justice Auen Kunkeaw of the Supreme Court of Thailand, who will deliver a public lecture on "Intellectual Property, Bankruptcy and the Thai Judiciary System" on March 25 from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
- 03.04.2015The Pros and Cons of Filing for Bankruptcy
Nobody wants to file for bankruptcy, but there are some pros to doing so. Check out this post for a list of the good and the bad when it comes to declaring bankruptcy.
- 03.04.2015Indianapolis Chambers and Courtroom Relocations
Chief Judge Robyn L. Moberly and Judge Jeffrey J. Graham have relocated as of March 2, 2015. Please see this post for details.
- 02.10.2015Identity Theft: Where to Start
There's an increasing amount of internet hack cases, so knowing where to start if you're an identity theft victim is important for everyone to know.
- 02.02.2015Notice of Important Legislation: Senate Bill 56 (Legacy Trust)
Senate Bill No. 56 will be up for a vote on Monday, February 9, 2015. Check out this post for more information about the bill's far-reaching implications in our area of law.
- 01.29.2015Commercial and Bankruptcy Law 101: 341(a) Meeting of Creditors
If you're new to commercial and bankruptcy law or considering moving into the field, check out this post for helpful information about a 341(a) Meeting of Creditors.
- 12.09.2014Going Broke but Gaining Relief: Insight on the Emotional Ebbs and Flows of Bankruptcy Cases
Check out this post to read Terry E. Hall's experiences when Chapter 11 cases work and business debts are made more manageable.
- 11.24.2014Avoiding Tax on Cancelled Debt - All Ways are Not Created Equally
Check out this post to read the lessons that one tax attorney learned about avoiding tax on cancelled debt after practicing for 35 years.
- 11.13.2014Order Waives Fee for Motions for Protective Orders
The United States Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of Indiana released an order waiving the fee for motions for protective orders. See this post for details.
- 11.10.2014You're Invited: Retirement Program for the Hon. Frank J. Otte
Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section Members are invited to the Retirement Program for the Honorable Frank J. Otte. Please see this post for details.
- 10.30.2014Preemption and Preclusion: Choose Your Words Carefully
The right word can make all the difference for attorneys. Check out this post to read more about the terminology used when laws collide.
- 10.23.2014Position Available on IndyBar Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section Executive Committee
Are you looking for a way to get more involved in the Indianapolis Bar Association and to network with other attorneys in your practice area?
- 10.16.2014The Trait That Makes Bankruptcy Lawyers Great
If you're a bankruptcy attorney who wants to be the best, there's just one trait you must possess. Check out this post to read more.
- 09.22.2014Indiana Toll Road Operator Files for Bankruptcy
On September 22, a $3.8 billion 75-year lease soured when the Indiana Toll Road filed for bankruptcy just eight years into the lease.
- 08.26.2014Mark Your Calendar: Annual Southern District of Indiana Bankruptcy Case Update and Practice Pointers
This CLE features speakers from the US District Court for Southern District of Indiana who will give an update of recent Indiana bankruptcy cases and regional practice pointers.
- 08.21.2014Public Comment Period Opens for Proposed Amendments to Federal Rules of Procedure
The public comment period for proposed amendments to the federal rules on appellate, bankruptcy, civil and criminal procedures is now open.
- 08.20.2014Retirement Program to be Held for Honorables James K. Coachys
IndyBar CMB section members are invited to the retirement program to be held for the Honorable James K. Coachys on Thursday, September 25.
- 08.15.2014In Memoriam: Steve Ancel
Steve Ancel passed away at the age of 77 on Thursday, August 14.
- 08.12.2014Upcoming CLE: A Corporate Debtor's Accounting
This CLE on September 25 will go over planning for and understanding a corporate debtor's accounting with discussion regarding personal financial statements for individuals.
- 08.07.2014Check Out This CLE for Common Problems in Chapter 13
This program will cover common problems in Chapter 13 that are not found in the Bankruptcy Code.
- 08.07.2014You're Invited: Coffee Hour at IU McKinney
Start your day with free coffee and donuts while getting to know Indy law students on September 16.
- 07.29.201411 Fast Facts About Indy Eleven
Check out this article for some fun facts about Indy's pro soccer team and for a chance to meet the team owner!
- 07.25.2014Event Reminder: July's Last CLE Coming Up
Join us for a CLE that will review recent cases and discuss insecurity among secured creditors.
- 07.17.2014Live in the Moment - Just Not When Filing a Case
The here and now is important when filing a case, but looking backward and forward matters just as much if you want to be great.
- 07.15.2014Federal Court of Appeals Says Bank is Clear in Online Hacking Case
The bank won, and now hearings are taking place that may make it precedent for losing plaintiffs to pay the defending bank's legal expenses.
- 07.10.2014First Vice President Appointed Chief Bankruptcy Judge
IndyBar first vice president Judge Robyn L. Moberly has been appointed as the Chief Bankruptcy Judge.
- 06.27.2014Upcoming CLE: Insecurity Among Secured Creditors
This seminar will explore and provide a comprehensive review of recent cases that have affected the role of secured creditors in Chapter 11 cases.
- 06.10.2014Bankruptcy Court Seeks Volunteers for Pro Bono Panel
The United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana is accepting new volunteers who would like to work on the court's Bankruptcy Pro Bono Panel.
- 05.16.2014Upcoming CLE: Guidelines for Attorney Fees & Expenses in Larger Chapter 11s & Other Bankrupty Cases
This seminar will include guidelines for attorneys regarding their attorney fees and expenses in larger Chapter 11s and other bankruptcy cases.
- 04.30.2014Did You Know? IndyBar Bankruptcy Helpline Offered Twice Per Month
The Bankruptcy Helpline was created to assist members of the public with bankruptcy-related issues.
- 04.16.2014Seventh Annual Opperman Roundtable Coming in May
The Seventh Annual Opperman Roundtable will provide an exciting opportunity for attorneys to discuss and debate issues central to their everyday practice and will be moderated by two distinguished judges.
- 04.02.2014Final 2014 IndyBar Bill Watch Report: Commercial & Bankruptcy Law-Related Legislation
This will be the final weekly report as Governor Pence has conducted his final review of all of the bills placed on his desk.