Appellate Practice Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 07.30.2014IndyBar Scholarship to AJEI Summit Available
The IndyBar Appellate Practice Section is excited to announce that the Jill Ellis Scholarship is available for an attorney to attend the Appellate Judges Education Institute 2014 Summit on November 13-16 in Dallas.
- 07.25.2014Indiana Supreme Court Addresses Concern Raised by Appellate Practice Section Amicus Brief
The Indiana Supreme Court’s per curiam order addressed the only concern raised by the IndyBar's Appellate Practice Section in an amicus brief supporting transfer of Drake v. Dickey.
- 07.24.2014Upcoming CLE: Roundtable and Reception with Appellate Court Judges
Join Justice Robert D. Rucker of the Indiana Supreme Court and Judge Nancy H. Vaidik of the Indiana Court of Appeals at this roundtable CLE on August 13.
- 07.16.2014Information Available About Appellate Judges on Ballot
Four appellate judges will be on the ballot this November for voters to decide whether or not to retain each of them.
- 07.09.2014Four Jurists File for Retention
Four jurists will be on the ballot this November for a 10-year term. The public will decide whether or not to retain them.
- 06.25.2014Notice of Proposed Rule Changes from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Written comments on the proposed rule changes should be sent by August 1, 2014.
- 06.10.2014Judge Baker Observes Silver Anniversary
Judge John G. Baker of the Court of Appeals of Indiana will celebrate his 25th anniversary on the court on June 2. He is the longest-serving member of the current court and the sixth longest-serving member in the court's 113-year history.
- 05.30.2014Proposed Rule Amendments: Appellate Transcripts
At the direction of the Indiana Supreme Court, the Supreme Court Rules Committee has developed proposed changes to the time table for completing transcripts for appeals.
- 05.20.2014Spotting Bad Science in Social Science Research
How do you spot bad science when using non-record social science evidence in appellate briefs? This helpful graphic and series of blog posts from The Appellate Advocacy Blog can help.
- 05.16.2014Judge Robb Honored with Distinguished Alumni Award
The Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law recently honored the recipients of the school's 2014 alumni awards. Judge Margret Robb of the Indiana Court of Appeals is among three individuals who received the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- 04.30.2014Program Provides Lawyers Trial Run at Oral Argument
This article, which originally appeared in The Indiana Lawyer, showcases the Indianapolis Bar Association's Indiana Appellate Institute. The program was created by the Appellate Practice Section in 2010.
- 04.15.2014A Proposal to Allow Citations of All Indiana Appellate Opinions
Appellate Rule 65 currently prohibits lawyers from citing or relying on the nearly 75% of Indiana Court of Appeals’ opinions issued as memorandum (not-for-publication) decisions.
- 04.09.2014Indiana Court of Appeals Issues Annual Report
The Court of Appeals of Indiana disposed of 3,362 cases and issued 2,058 majority opinions last year, according to the court's 2013 Annual Report.
- 03.24.2014IndyBar Appellate Practice Section Files Amicus Brief
The Indianapolis Bar Association Appellate Practice Section recently submitted an Amicus Brief on an appellate procedural issue of interest to its members and the Indiana appellate bar. Click here to view the brief.
- 03.21.2014"Donning and Doffing More Than His Robe, Judge Posner Tries an Experiment in Chambers"
Judge Posner of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals undergoes a unique experiment in Mitchell v. JCG Industries.
- 01.30.2014Appellate Practice Rules that Took Effect January 1, 2014
Remember to comply with the amendments to the appellate rules that went into effect January 1.
- 01.29.2014Indiana Court of Appeals Decisions for January 29
The Indiana Court of Appeals issued two for publication opinions and 20 NFP opinions on Wednesday, January 29.
- 12.18.2013IndyBar Board Approves Rule Change Proposal
The Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Directors approved a proposed rule amendment generated by the bar’s Appellate Practice Section at its Dec. 4 meeting.
- 12.17.2013Grace Period for Indiana Appellate Rule 9(A) Ending Soon
Starting January 1, 2014, Notices of Appeal may only be filed with the Clerk of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, and Tax Court.