Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 08.11.2015Similar Speech Patterns Promote Positive Communication
Mirroring someone's speech patterns is a helpful tool for connecting while mediating. Check out this post to find out why.
- 08.05.2015Settling in Mediation: Simply a Matter of Numbers?
When it comes to settling in mediation, a rounded offer may be more likely to be accepted. Click here to find out why.
- 07.13.2015Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
Check out this post for the latest ADR Section updates straight from section chair Christine Douglas of Harden Jackson LLC.
- 06.29.2015Meet the Mediator: Elodie Meuser
Check out this post to learn more about Elodie Meuser of The Mediation Option.
- 06.16.2015Planning is Important for Early Dispute Resolution
When is mediation too early? Should mediation be attempted prior to the completion of discovery? What are the benefits of early dispute resolution? Read more about these questions - and their potential answers - in this post.
- 06.08.2015Emotional Intelligence in Mediations
Emotional intelligence is key to successfully approaching clients in mediation. But how can you gauge emotions when it comes to the use of technology? Click here to find out.
- 06.08.2015Upcoming CLE for Your First Domestic Relations Mediation
On Tuesday, June 23 from noon to 1 p.m., the ADR Section is hosting Don't Do That! How to Survive & Thrive in Your First Domestic Relations Mediation as an Attorney. Click here for more information.
- 05.19.2015Meet the Mediator: Melissa Avery
Check out this post to learn more about Melissa Avery of Broyles Kight & Ricafort PC.
- 05.08.2015This Isn't Your Grandfather's ADR!
Whether mediation or arbitration, mini-trials or private judges, many more litigators are utilizing ADR tools. See this post for more details on the ways ADR is changing the legal practice.
- 04.22.2015Spring Mediation Day: Volunteers Needed
The ADR Section Spring Mediation Day will be on Friday, May 22, at Faegre Baker Daniels LLP. Ten domestic mediator volunteers are needed. See this post for more information.
- 04.13.2015Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
Check out this post for the latest section updates and upcoming events straight from section chair Christine Douglas of Harden Jackson LLC.
- 03.30.2015Clients Confused About Mediation? This Video Can Help
The Indiana Supreme Court developed a short video to help explain mediation and how it works in family law cases. Check out this post for more information.
- 02.25.2015First Impressions Matter in Mediation
First impressions matter when it comes to mediating or negotiating. Check out this post for advice on how to make your first impression a positive one!
- 02.11.2015What's Better in the Long Run: Emotional or Neutral Speech?
Although emotionally charged speech may be an instant attention getter, apparently the use of neutral speech is more memorable. Check out this post for more on the topic and why it matters in mediation.
- 02.03.2015Tools for a Successful Mediation
A successful mediation requires preparation and planning. Check out this post for tools and tips on how to do just that!
- 02.03.2015The Bottom Line: Who Pays for Mediation in Particular Cases?
A deaf Indiana man is suing state courts after he was denied an interpreter for mediation. This case raises questions about funding for mediation and who should ultimately be responsible for paying.
- 01.29.2015Keep Calm and Carry On? Not So Fast...
"Keep calm and carry on" may not work for mediators when it comes to negotiating important points. Check out this post to find out why.
- 01.21.2015Successful Small Talk Has Big Benefits
Small talk is a natural part of life, but it doesn't always come naturally. Check out this post for some tips on how to be better at small talk.
- 01.14.2015You're Invited: Coffee Hour at IU McKinney
ADR Section members are invited to coffee hour with IU McKinney students at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, February 4.
- 12.16.2014Collaborative Divorce in Indiana - Indiana Divorce Law 2014
Check out this post by Ryan Cassman to read about how mediation practices can help resolve a divorce without it going to trial.
- 12.11.2014When Mediating a Case, Don't Focus Only on Numbers
A mediation agreement often comes down to numbers, but focusing on numbers alone can have an overall negative effect. Check out this post for more.
- 12.02.2014Lessons in Arbitration from Masters v. Masters
Check out this post by Detra Mills to read why an arbitrator's judgment was found erroneous on appeal in the case of Masters v. Masters.
- 11.25.2014How Hunger Can Hinder Mediation
Elodie Meuser writes about a simple practice that can seemingly make or break the success of a mediation session: keeping hunger pangs at bay for participants. Learn more in this post.
- 10.21.2014Negotiation Tips from a Sitcom
Check out this post for a humorous take on a few basic negotiation tips, courtesy of the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory.
- 10.14.2014Thanks to Mediation Day Volunteers for Making it a Success
The 5th Annual Mediation Day was a success due to the talented volunteers who participated. In this post, the event coordinator thanks those who played a huge part in settling the majority of cases on Sep. 26.
- 10.08.2014ADR Section Hosts Successful Annual Mediation Day
On Friday, Sept. 26, the ADR Section hosted its annual Mediation Day at Barnes & Thornburg LLP. Check out this post for the inside scoop on the section's successful day.
- 10.07.2014Lies or Misperceptions: How Mediators Deal with Clients' Differences
When mediation clients disagree on what's fact and what's fiction, what is the mediator's move? Check out this article from The Indiana Lawyer to read what several IndyBar members have to say on the topic.
- 09.25.2014'Tis the Season for a Social: The ADR Fall Social is Soon!
Join the ADR Section on Oct. 16 from 5 to 7 p.m. for the fall social. Attendees will have the chance to participate in a wine tasting and more!
- 09.12.2014ADR Section Meeting Minutes Available
Minutes for the February, April, June and August 2014 ADR Section Executive Committee meetings have been posted.
- 09.10.2014Confessions of a Mediator
This post by Megan Weddle talks about the frustrations and triumphs of working as a mediator, and she also gives advice on how to make mediation more effective.
- 09.09.2014CLE Commission Launches New Search Websites, Asks for Feedback
Two new CLE-search websites could help locate CME credit courses more easily.
- 09.09.2014Midwest Mediation Conference Comes to Indy
Take this opportunity and register to attend the 4th Annual Midwest Mediation Conference being held right in Indianapolis!