Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 11.18.2015End-of-Year CLE: Mediating with Pro Se Parties
The ADR Section will host "Considerations When Mediating with Pro Se Parties" on Thursday, December 3 from noon to 1 p.m.
- 11.09.2015It's Not What You Say, but How You Say It
Need to convince the mediator, arbitrator, jury or your client? Smooth talkers might not be the most successful. Check out this post for more.
- 10.19.2015Can the Court Award Fees, Should the Court Award Fees and How Much Fees Should the Court Award?
Check out this post by Richard A. Mann to learn about the statutes under which a court can award attorneys' fees, rulings that help determine if they should, and a calculator to figure out how much should be awarded.
- 10.08.2015Employment Case Negotiation Considerations
This post has several helpful resources to consider when negotiating an employment case.
- 09.24.2015Pre-Suit Mediation Can Make a Difference for Clients
Pre-suit mediation is a solution that many legal professionals overlook when it comes to their clients’ cases, which is one of the reasons the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section chose to do a CLE on the topic. Read more here.
- 09.11.2015Volunteers Needed for Fall Paternity Court Mediation Day
The ADR Section's annual Fall Paternity Court Mediation Day will be held Friday, October 16 at the offices of Barnes & Thornburg LLP. Ten volunteers are needed to mediate cases. Click here for more information.
- 09.08.2015Upcoming CLE Doubleheader
Check out this post for more information about two CLEs coming up that provide insight and tips for the mediation process.
- 09.02.2015Beat Stress and Stay Focused for Better Results
The school year is starting, schedules are getting busier and the days are getting shorter...feeling a bit stressed? Turn that into positive energy by checking out the tips in this article.
- 08.11.2015Similar Speech Patterns Promote Positive Communication
Mirroring someone's speech patterns is a helpful tool for connecting while mediating. Check out this post to find out why.
- 08.05.2015Settling in Mediation: Simply a Matter of Numbers?
When it comes to settling in mediation, a rounded offer may be more likely to be accepted. Click here to find out why.
- 07.13.2015Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
Check out this post for the latest ADR Section updates straight from section chair Christine Douglas of Harden Jackson LLC.
- 06.29.2015Meet the Mediator: Elodie Meuser
Check out this post to learn more about Elodie Meuser of The Mediation Option.
- 06.16.2015Planning is Important for Early Dispute Resolution
When is mediation too early? Should mediation be attempted prior to the completion of discovery? What are the benefits of early dispute resolution? Read more about these questions - and their potential answers - in this post.
- 06.08.2015Emotional Intelligence in Mediations
Emotional intelligence is key to successfully approaching clients in mediation. But how can you gauge emotions when it comes to the use of technology? Click here to find out.
- 06.08.2015Upcoming CLE for Your First Domestic Relations Mediation
On Tuesday, June 23 from noon to 1 p.m., the ADR Section is hosting Don't Do That! How to Survive & Thrive in Your First Domestic Relations Mediation as an Attorney. Click here for more information.
- 05.19.2015Meet the Mediator: Melissa Avery
Check out this post to learn more about Melissa Avery of Broyles Kight & Ricafort PC.
- 05.08.2015This Isn't Your Grandfather's ADR!
Whether mediation or arbitration, mini-trials or private judges, many more litigators are utilizing ADR tools. See this post for more details on the ways ADR is changing the legal practice.
- 04.22.2015Spring Mediation Day: Volunteers Needed
The ADR Section Spring Mediation Day will be on Friday, May 22, at Faegre Baker Daniels LLP. Ten domestic mediator volunteers are needed. See this post for more information.
- 04.13.2015Message from the Chair: The Latest Section Updates
Check out this post for the latest section updates and upcoming events straight from section chair Christine Douglas of Harden Jackson LLC.
- 03.30.2015Clients Confused About Mediation? This Video Can Help
The Indiana Supreme Court developed a short video to help explain mediation and how it works in family law cases. Check out this post for more information.
- 02.25.2015First Impressions Matter in Mediation
First impressions matter when it comes to mediating or negotiating. Check out this post for advice on how to make your first impression a positive one!
- 02.11.2015What's Better in the Long Run: Emotional or Neutral Speech?
Although emotionally charged speech may be an instant attention getter, apparently the use of neutral speech is more memorable. Check out this post for more on the topic and why it matters in mediation.
- 02.03.2015Tools for a Successful Mediation
A successful mediation requires preparation and planning. Check out this post for tools and tips on how to do just that!
- 02.03.2015The Bottom Line: Who Pays for Mediation in Particular Cases?
A deaf Indiana man is suing state courts after he was denied an interpreter for mediation. This case raises questions about funding for mediation and who should ultimately be responsible for paying.
- 01.29.2015Keep Calm and Carry On? Not So Fast...
"Keep calm and carry on" may not work for mediators when it comes to negotiating important points. Check out this post to find out why.
- 01.21.2015Successful Small Talk Has Big Benefits
Small talk is a natural part of life, but it doesn't always come naturally. Check out this post for some tips on how to be better at small talk.
- 01.14.2015You're Invited: Coffee Hour at IU McKinney
ADR Section members are invited to coffee hour with IU McKinney students at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, February 4.
- 12.16.2014Collaborative Divorce in Indiana - Indiana Divorce Law 2014
Check out this post by Ryan Cassman to read about how mediation practices can help resolve a divorce without it going to trial.
- 12.11.2014When Mediating a Case, Don't Focus Only on Numbers
A mediation agreement often comes down to numbers, but focusing on numbers alone can have an overall negative effect. Check out this post for more.
- 12.02.2014Lessons in Arbitration from Masters v. Masters
Check out this post by Detra Mills to read why an arbitrator's judgment was found erroneous on appeal in the case of Masters v. Masters.