Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
Get the news you want the way you want it: click the RSS button in the right corner to add this feed to your RSS reader, or click here to subscribe to this content. By subscribing, you’ll find this news on your Member Account page, and the latest articles will be emailed to you in your customized IndyBar E-Bulletin e-newsletter.
- 02.25.2015First Impressions Matter in Mediation
First impressions matter when it comes to mediating or negotiating. Check out this post for advice on how to make your first impression a positive one!
- 02.11.2015What's Better in the Long Run: Emotional or Neutral Speech?
Although emotionally charged speech may be an instant attention getter, apparently the use of neutral speech is more memorable. Check out this post for more on the topic and why it matters in mediation.
- 02.03.2015Tools for a Successful Mediation
A successful mediation requires preparation and planning. Check out this post for tools and tips on how to do just that!
- 02.03.2015The Bottom Line: Who Pays for Mediation in Particular Cases?
A deaf Indiana man is suing state courts after he was denied an interpreter for mediation. This case raises questions about funding for mediation and who should ultimately be responsible for paying.
- 01.29.2015Keep Calm and Carry On? Not So Fast...
"Keep calm and carry on" may not work for mediators when it comes to negotiating important points. Check out this post to find out why.
- 01.21.2015Successful Small Talk Has Big Benefits
Small talk is a natural part of life, but it doesn't always come naturally. Check out this post for some tips on how to be better at small talk.
- 01.14.2015You're Invited: Coffee Hour at IU McKinney
ADR Section members are invited to coffee hour with IU McKinney students at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, February 4.
- 12.16.2014Collaborative Divorce in Indiana - Indiana Divorce Law 2014
Check out this post by Ryan Cassman to read about how mediation practices can help resolve a divorce without it going to trial.
- 12.11.2014When Mediating a Case, Don't Focus Only on Numbers
A mediation agreement often comes down to numbers, but focusing on numbers alone can have an overall negative effect. Check out this post for more.
- 12.02.2014Lessons in Arbitration from Masters v. Masters
Check out this post by Detra Mills to read why an arbitrator's judgment was found erroneous on appeal in the case of Masters v. Masters.
- 11.25.2014How Hunger Can Hinder Mediation
Elodie Meuser writes about a simple practice that can seemingly make or break the success of a mediation session: keeping hunger pangs at bay for participants. Learn more in this post.
- 10.21.2014Negotiation Tips from a Sitcom
Check out this post for a humorous take on a few basic negotiation tips, courtesy of the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory.
- 10.14.2014Thanks to Mediation Day Volunteers for Making it a Success
The 5th Annual Mediation Day was a success due to the talented volunteers who participated. In this post, the event coordinator thanks those who played a huge part in settling the majority of cases on Sep. 26.
- 10.08.2014ADR Section Hosts Successful Annual Mediation Day
On Friday, Sept. 26, the ADR Section hosted its annual Mediation Day at Barnes & Thornburg LLP. Check out this post for the inside scoop on the section's successful day.
- 10.07.2014Lies or Misperceptions: How Mediators Deal with Clients' Differences
When mediation clients disagree on what's fact and what's fiction, what is the mediator's move? Check out this article from The Indiana Lawyer to read what several IndyBar members have to say on the topic.
- 09.25.2014'Tis the Season for a Social: The ADR Fall Social is Soon!
Join the ADR Section on Oct. 16 from 5 to 7 p.m. for the fall social. Attendees will have the chance to participate in a wine tasting and more!
- 09.12.2014ADR Section Meeting Minutes Available
Minutes for the February, April, June and August 2014 ADR Section Executive Committee meetings have been posted.
- 09.10.2014Confessions of a Mediator
This post by Megan Weddle talks about the frustrations and triumphs of working as a mediator, and she also gives advice on how to make mediation more effective.
- 09.09.2014CLE Commission Launches New Search Websites, Asks for Feedback
Two new CLE-search websites could help locate CME credit courses more easily.
- 09.09.2014Midwest Mediation Conference Comes to Indy
Take this opportunity and register to attend the 4th Annual Midwest Mediation Conference being held right in Indianapolis!
- 08.26.2014Upcoming CLE with Mediation Credit: What Happens When You Don't Settle at Mediation?
Learn what happens when you don't settle a mediation and then attend the ADR Annual Social immediately following the seminar.
- 08.08.2014Class Action Arbitration Should be Decided by Courts, Says Appellate Court
A recent federal court decision rules that arbitration of class action claims is an issue for courts to decide - not arbitrators.
- 07.30.2014National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals Announces Indiana Chapter Website
A new website has been launched whose aim is to "make life easier" for local legal professionals in need of ADR professionals' services.
- 07.23.2014Volunteers Needed for Mediation Day 2014
Registered domestic mediators are needed to volunteer for our fifth annual Mediation Day on September 26.
- 07.14.2014Couples Counseling for Ex-Spouses is a Valuable Option
When couples repeatedly come back for mediation, there may be a bigger issue than the conflict itself.
- 07.08.2014What To Do When There's a Wait
During mediation, there can be loads of downtime between you and your client. Here's how to make the most of the wait time.
- 06.17.2014Actions May Speak Louder than Words...But in Mediation, They're Just as Confidential
Whether a party said it, did it or just thought it at mediation, it's not coming into evidence. See this April 2014 appellate case addressing whether a party's actions at mediation were then admissible at trial.
- 06.10.2014Domestic Mediation Cross-Over Training Available
Indiana's only domestic mediation cross-over training will be held on August 6-8, 2014 at the Robert H. McKinney School of Law.
- 05.30.2014Upcoming CLE: Mediation Practice Management
A panel of experienced local mediators will offer practical tips for mediation practice management to help run a more effective mediation practice.
- 05.15.2014Engaging conflict for fun and profit: Current and emerging career trends in conflict resolution
Bob Rhudy and MACRO have given the conflict resolution field a priceless gift. Mr. Rhudy has written an exhaustive, well-researched, study on the options for getting a job as a mediator.
- 05.06.2014New Online Services for Hoosier Mediators
Seventeen years after the Commission for Continuing Legal Education first compiled a directory of registered mediators in Indiana, the list of mediators is getting a full makeover for the digital age.
- 04.16.2014About the Speaker: Meet John L. Krauss
John L. Krauss of the Indiana Public Policy Institute will be the featured speaker at the upcoming "You are More than a Mediator. You are an ADR Specialist" CLE and CME program on May 7.